Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#590 ·
I am 23, Got my 2013 WRX sedan at the end of September. I went to school and was lucky enough to get a good job so ill be making payments for the next few years. So far totally worth it, my last car was a 06 Altima that I made a ricer and now I dont see myself upgrading too much the cars great to begin with. As for your payments, I put down 8000 and Im paying 441$ a month at 4% financing over 5 years. Not fun!

#591 ·
50. Female. Drove Jeeps (2 Wranglers (loved 'em), 1 Patriot (ok for a soccer mom car and good in snow and ice), 1 Compass blecch) for 20 years which slowed me down.

At 16 drove Dad's 76 Celica (why he actually trusted me with that car I'll never figure out); drove 1st fiance's 1968 Saab Sonnet, then a GTI - all like a maniac.

I figure I'm now mature enough to safely drive a fast car again! ;)

#593 ·
Pics or ban.

#601 ·
22, graduated in May and found a good job in august. parents didn't pay a penny for me to go to school so they are letting me live at home rent free though i may buy a place soon. using the money that would be allocated for rent to put on top of my student loan payments, extra grand per month. picking up my 2013 in a couple weeks.

#602 ·
I am 43. My first I bought at 34.

Certainly could have bought an STI or another more expensive car.

BUT

as you can see in my profile picture I have to maintain that freakin money pit of a fishing machine in the background with one offshore trip equalling almost 2 car payments alone just in fuel.

Bottom line is that I don't see a car on the planet that offers what a WRX/STI 5 door offers. I fit so much crap in the back of that. Skis and bikes on top. It rips dry, wet, or snow. And with basic mods she is close to 300whp with improved brakes and suspension. It is pretty much as quick as 95% of the cars you see on the road if not more. AND it will run 100K+ miles trouble free easily if you are good to it.

A WRX buyer, to me, is an educated consumer. AND I say the STI is the absolute best car in the world for the money. Only other car you can make such an argument for is a GTR but that is another price bracket.

#603 ·
AND I say the STI is the absolute best car in the world for the money. Only other car you can make such an argument for is a GTR but that is another price bracket.
This gets quite subjective..people will differ over what is a "best car" for the money. Personally, I would add the base Corvette to that list. 430hp, a fantastic chassis, and at $50K starting, within the reach of mortals such as myself.

The GTR wouldn't get my money in any case...too many computers, not enough manual transmission.

#605 ·
LOL, "pics or ban" is a very old forum saying. There's not but so many people on here that could ban you, anyways...:tongue:

#609 ·
My first Subaru is the 2013 one I just bought recently and I am 28years old. I am a mustang guy and have owned 10+ mustangs since I was 15. The 87 coupe I still have was my first car when I was 15.

#614 ·
I'm not a big picture person, never have been. I figured he couldn't ban me as he isn't a mod or admin. Was sort of a daft response, I don't have pictures of those old cars, altough a Saab Sonnet is sorta sexy and the old Celicas were ... cute ... they were cute and loads of peppy fun... my first stickshift after getting the license on Mum's station wagon ... getting off topic as I'm getting oldish at 50 as well :p

#615 ·
Speaking of Sonnets, my uncle who lives in Minnesota is currently working on a Sonnet. He bought it from my other uncle who lives in Texas. It was splitting in the middle of the body, only had 3rd gear, no interior to speak of, and engine trouble. As of now, he welded the body back together and has 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. Slowly but surely he'll rebuild it. I think he's planning on rallying or autocrossing it but I'm not sure.

#616 ·
Sonnet's pretty delicate all fibreglass and by now oooold. I wish him success. I'd love an old Sonnet, but it would be my 'Oonly take out on sundays if the weather's perfect kind of car' :) Eric's old Sonnet could go pretty fast . No power steering, super stripped down (well, that car wasn't busy in the interior at all) but just an engine, brakes a steering wheel and a fibre glass shell, it could fly pretty fast !

#618 ·
Congrats on taking care of it on your own! Great feeling isn't it? I bought my first one on my own at 24.

Before that, parents had helped with other cars myself.

#626 ·
And I've had a small inkling of desire to get rid of my STI for a Lightning...ALWAYS loved those trucks. I keep saying once I pay off my car, I'm going to add one to my stable.

#624 ·
I was 65 when I picked up my 2004 hatchback in 2007. I've got about 105K miles on it now, and it seems to run better than when I first got it. I do a 200 mile round trip drive almost every weekend, with half of it on 2 lane twisty 55 mph (posted limit) in upstate NY. I would've driven it harder when I was in my 20s, but I don't follow slower cars for very long. It's all stock and dealer maintained, so it will be a find for someone if I find the right Turbo-Forester with lots of goodies and and a clutch. I'm thinking of doing a few laps at Watkins Glen next summer, if I still have it.

#625 · (Edited)
Bought mine four months ago, 2013 sedan in white, all stock, no wing. Im 34 as much as I love this car, and love driving it there is no way I could have afforded to own this car when I was say younger than 25. It's not so much the car that would have been tough to afford but the insane insurane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.