Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#500 ·
I was 36 when I ordered my 2011 WRX. It's a sports car enthusiast's car. I loved sports cars when I was a teenager, but there's no way I could have afforded one. I got into plenty enough trouble as it was in my 1980Buick Century Special sh*t brown colored station wagon. Thing had a 305 in it and was suprising quick off the line.

#515 ·
So many different situations out there...it can get tricky when people throw out generalizations. A good buddy of mine always had beautiful cars as a college student, and seemed to have the finest things. He'd let people believe that he worked for it all, but in reality he was a trust fund kid. He squandered money that could have set him up to retire at 40.

Sometimes I think about what I could buy if I stopped saving for the future, and told my kids that they were footing their own undergrad bill. It's fun, but makes no sense to me. :tongue:

Different strokes...:)

#517 ·
I have an older friend -colleague who always drives a nice car. He would always tell me there are few pleasures a man has like getting into a nice car everyday.
You know what I agree! You have to strike a balance, I don't believe in being broke to drive a fun car, but I also don't believe in hoarding money and not enjoying today. You can't take the money with you when you die.

#525 ·
"Dream Car" is now a meaningless term to me:

• They're just piles of steel and engineering. When I was 13 I lumped in all of this glamour and romance with it, but I've worked on too much production machinery, and seen too many "awesome cars!!11!!" become "OMGpiecesofcrap!!11!!" as time wears on, hype wears off, and people realize their deficiencies. It's just a car. Any "magic" that goes with it is a mental phenomenon. Any awesome-driving car you buy will, at some point, just be another rusted hulk. Impermanence wins.
  • There are 1- cars that I'd love to drive...and then there's 2- cars that I'd actually own. A lot have fallen out of #2 and just become #1 over the years.

Geez, that comes across all grouchieclamf. :tongue:

#527 ·
Grumpy gills over here...

#528 ·
29 (30 at the end of this month) just bought my first, a 2013 WRB WRX. Just came online hunting for ideas for rims and found this thread. I kind of had the same feeling deep down inside somewhere and seeing so many "old" guys that own WRX's made me feel much better. I thought i was going to have to hurry up and have fun for a couple years, tops, then go get a Forester or Outback. Now it starting to sound like the young guys might need to wonder if they are too young to get involved with such a "sophisticated", "mature" demographic. I almost couldn't say that with a straight face.

#531 ·
35 and just got my first WRX hatch a month ago. I absolutely love the car and have gotten nothing but compliments...even from my parents who are in their late 60's. My mother actually smiled when I opened it up getting on the highway. The wife and 2 kids fit in well, and it will work for everything except long trips where we need to take a lot of bags.

As far as the whole "maturity / sophisticated" thing, I can honestly say that I would not have been mature enough at 16, 20, or even 25 for this car. I probably would have wrecked it or gotten so many tickets I would not have been able to afford insurance or keep my license. As for sophistication...uh...no.

#532 ·
I'm 17 and if I could afford to buy a new WRX, I would. The fact is that I most certainly can't. In order to finance a car at my age the payments are around 600-700$ a month, plus full coverage on insurance, which is another 500-600$ a month. These numbers don't really change until your mid 20's. It's too outrageous, and the only way a kid would have a new one is mommy and daddy.

Or selling drugs I guess...

The kids these days get to drive the used Imprezas, like 2000-05. So I guess what I'm getting at is that you're good to drive a new WRX, and the only people that should comment on the matter are the under informed.

#536 ·
I just bought an 02 with 12k miles, and im 20. I could of bought a new car, afford the payments and insurence quite confortably. However im married, no kids, and my wife supports the our savings by working part time to have "play" money. I dont think being young should justify having insane insurence bills, My insurence full coverage for a ford suv and now the subaru, is 107 a month through progressive. As for a car payment, if you can just t save arround 10k for emergencys, then keep the rest as a car fund and look at it realistically, you should have no problem having a nice subaru at a young age.

#537 ·
I bought a new 2013 a month after I turned 27. I was in a point in my life financially where I could afford to go new, and I know people beat the hell out of these things, so I didn't want to go used. These seem to really hold their value too, as used 2011s with 20k miles or so were basically the same price as new.

My wife and I are planning on starting a family soon and I intend on keeping this car and throwing the carseat(s) in the back. That's basically why I go this car: all wheel drive and 4 doors are safe and practical, while the 5-speed manual and turbo charged boxer are fun! (i guess the all wheel drive goes in the latter category as well)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.