Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#330 ·
My parents helped me out with insurance through high school, and most of college. The difference is that I didn't post up on a forum somewhere saying "I PAY FOR EVERYTHING!!!11!!" (not talking about recent posters...other folks that have posted in the past)

Of course, there was also no such thing as forums in the 1980's, so there's that.

#332 ·
Yeah, I worked in some way or another through nearly all of college, and was glad to do so...and it didn't go to a fancy sports sedan.

It's funny; I reached a point where I called my father and told him not to worry about sending me any money, because I had it covered. He about fell out of his chair. I was so proud of being "independent". It would be a few more years before I fully realized how much he was still covering. (Insurance, registration on my car, Federal taxes that weren't being withheld, etc..)

/curmudgeon

...for today, at least... :)

#337 ·
I am 21 and I just picked up my 2011 WRX a few months ago. I think that I would still stick with Subaru when I am older as well though, the WRX is just such a drivers car, age is irrelevant, if I cared what others thought when I was buying a car I would have probably picked up a V6 mustang or something dumb like that. I wanted a car that was safe, that would hold value, that has AWD(I live in Buffalo), and getting to 60 MPH in under 5 seconds was a big plus. But aside from all of that, when you drive the WRX, there is a sense of passion; the car was engineered in such a specific way for a certain kind of person, that person being a car enthusiast on a budget.

#352 ·
i was 17 when i bought my 06 wrx. it's been 6 years and i'm glad that i bought it while i was younger considering i'm saving for a house. i would never want to have a car payment and a house payment :rotfl:

#353 ·
I'll be making a house payment and 2 car payments. :(

#355 ·
It will be 3 technically..but I'm not paying for Lindsay's car.

#358 ·
I hate car payments...and knowing that I wouldn't have one anymore if I kept the first STI :sadwave:

#359 ·
You are dumb. :)

#361 ·
I'm actually quite happy to find that I'm right in the middle of the age curve here! I'm 33 now. I built a 400HP '71 Camaro with a 383 stroker motor in my 20s - loved it but I was gonna kill myself. I sold it to get a reliable commuter - a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR, and it's on Auto Trader right now as my 2012 DGM Hatch is on order. I wasn't a big fan of the look of the previous gen STIs, but I was ecstatic to see the STI fenders put into the WRX in 2011 and I started my research. Now, it looks like the WRX is gonna have the attitude of the Camaro and the utility/safety/reliability of the Toyota. I'm pretty psyched.

2 kids: 4 & 2, awesome supportive wife, and a new house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.