Can you fill a Nitrous Oxide tank with C02 ????? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can you fill a Nitrous Oxide tank with C02 ????? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; forget CO2 its bad for the environment, just get some Halon instead. All the places I know will not fill ...

forget CO2 its bad for the environment, just get some Halon instead. All the places I know will not fill a bottle with the wrong gas its labled for, also the hydro date better be good too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's true. It's against federal law to fill a bottle that's labeled incorrectly.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Since we are on the subject I have another question that has to do with this topic..... Ok so one of my friends & I guess some other subaru owners are taking off the antifreeze line that runs into the throttle body. They say it keeps the throttle body cooler.

My question is would it be possible to run C02 through it before it reaches the intercool sprayer?

Im thinking that could could lead to something bad... If you would happend to spray it wail at wide open throttle & the throttle body would freeze you could be in some trouble......

Has anybody ever tried this?
    "SCHIRRA~#16" HOLY *****'N A$$ CRACKERS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Civic_jdm16 View Post
    Since we are on the subject I have another question that has to do with this topic..... Ok so one of my friends & I guess some other subaru owners are taking off the antifreeze line that runs into the throttle body. They say it keeps the throttle body cooler.

My question is would it be possible to run C02 through it before it reaches the intercool sprayer?

Im thinking that could could lead to something bad... If you would happend to spray it wail at wide open throttle & the throttle body would freeze you could be in some trouble......

Has anybody ever tried this?
    That first thought that pops into your head is usualy the right one, yes its bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a pretty common modification to do. It's there so the butterfly (the throttle valve) wont freeze shut. Since you live in texas, you're fine doing the mod. Here's the right way to do it: DIY Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod - Rexnet Subaru Forums

I absolutely wouldn't cool the throttle body with CO2
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It's a pretty common modification to do. It's there so the butterfly (the throttle valve) wont freeze shut. Since you live in texas, you're fine doing the mod. Here's the right way to do it: DIY Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod - Rexnet Subaru Forums

wise words. not to mention the EXTREME pressure it would see from that causing some sort of chaos...

Quote Originally Posted by Civic_jdm16 View Post
    N20 bottles look better, & from what I see you can only get them in up to a 10 pound bottle. Maybe I want something Polished lol
    That's absolutely untrue. You can get C02 bottles much larger than 10 pounds. After all, a standard C02 fire extinguisher is 20 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Because of the pressures involved this is not a question to ask here. This is a question to ask the tank manufacturer. The answer should involve an initial question from them back to you, about what fittings are on the tank right now, what gasses have been in the tank, and what pressures you are interested in maintaining.

If you don't ask them, and they in turn don't ask you, don't do it IMO.
    +1 get the right tank for the right gas.

Quote Originally Posted by hagen505 View Post
    The valve on the CO2 is different from the N20, so the gas supplier would not be able to fill it. You should be able to exchange the tanks with the retailer though. I usually get stuff like that through a local place, called Airgas. If you go to Airgas.com, you can find a place probably near you, call them up and see what they can do.
    +1 as he and many other people have said, nobody legally can fill the tank if it's labeled for another gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Definitely not. I'd use hydrogen for sure.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quoted from the Cryo2 FAQ.

Can I use my old nitrous bottle with this system?
    A nitrous bottle is very similar but the nitrous valve is different from the CryO2 Tank valve and the filling station will not be able to fill it with CO2.

http://www.1fastcar.com/sa/p/CryO2_1...0_lb_Tank).htm
    Last edited by hagen505; 03-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hagen505 View Post
    Quoted from the Cryo2 FAQ.

Can I use my old nitrous bottle with this system?
    A nitrous bottle is very similar but the nitrous valve is different from the CryO2 Tank valve and the filling station will not be able to fill it with CO2.

CryO2 10 lb. Installation Kit (No Tank)
    Best answer ^

Call "Harry"

I called Zex's tech support to ask them this question.... 1-888-817-1008.

Both gases can use the same tank design.

The whole thing about the label isn't a huge factor. (most) gas companys have pre printed labels in stock...

I realy don't think the D.O.T is going to pull me over take out the bottle and test the gas to see if it is the same as the label...

If it it was a hazmat issue I could understand why this would be such a big factor. like if you wanted to put propane in a C02 bottle.

Also I maybe should have said this before, but I didn't I weld for a living & Oxygen, C02, Argon, Helium, & any type of non flamable gases all use the same valve.
    Most even use the same type of regulator....

Ok the big question is this valves issue...

C02 tanks & Nitrous Oxide tanks both use various types of valves, so the only issue would be is finding a C02 filling station that would accept a Nitrous Oxide tank valve..

The type of Valve would not realy matter as far as flow of gas, freezing up, ect... The only thing that would matter is having a valve with a dip tube to suck the gas from the bottom of the tank to prevent freezing wich most nos/c02 tanks already have.

Blah I didn't want this to go this far, but just to give u an idea of how little this valve factor matters...

Last edited by Civic_jdm16; 03-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    "SCHIRRA~#16" HOLY *****'N A$$ CRACKERS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Definitely not. I'd use hydrogen for sure.
    Oh yeah, that system comes stock on the all new Subaru Hindenburg, right?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    it also coats your entire engine bay with thermite in case of an emergency, lol

No it's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    Another wrong answer. It coats it with pentaerythritol tetranitrate.

Come on people doesn't anybody here know their stuff?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    it's "Octanitrocubane" not pentaerythritol tetranitrate
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.