Bought a new STI - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bought a new STI within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones So far, here's the basics: Awesome! Thanks for posting that up. I think you are making ...

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So far, here's the basics:
    Awesome! Thanks for posting that up.

I think you are making a very wise decision trusting in Cobb.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

AJ/ASRacing will be hooking me up with stage 1 next month and I'll post my impressions of that next month. I have to weigh my mods/money options out though because I'm looking at serious mods to both my 911 and my old school Ford. Hard to choose where to spend the dough. What I want to do to either of those is 5k each right now. Damn I need to kick my car addiction......
    I can't wait to get things rolling Scott, and start upgrading your new STI!
    -AJ
    02 WRX
    WRXPro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    I trust Cobb. If you don't, then sorry, but I think you're dumb.
    I've had enough opportunities to datalog Cobb tunes, and more than a couple of them have had consistent knock.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones
    5. The sound is terrible. I'm already looking at an intake silencer delete, and since a Cobb DP will mate to the stock exhaust, stage 2 may not be far in my future. Sounds like nothing. Too tame!
    IIRC, some of the GR body styles don't have the silencer like the GDs. Either way, the GRs tend to respond better to intakes than the GDs, and instead of the delete, you may want to go that route. I know Cobb makes a map for the AEM intake.

Innovative Tuning recently did a before/after intake test with a '10 STI with very nice results:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    2K for car payment .. I'm guessing your a businessman rather a rank-n-file employee...
    I'm a pimp. Pays well even in a poor economy.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I've had enough opportunities to datalog Cobb tunes, and more than a couple of them have had consistent knock.
    Well I'll take one of their stock tunes anyway. Bah, what do you know!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    IIRC, some of the GR body styles don't have the silencer like the GDs. Either way, the GRs tend to respond better to intakes than the GDs, and instead of the delete, you may want to go that route. I know Cobb makes a map for the AEM intake.

Innovative Tuning recently did a before/after intake test with a '10 STI with very nice results:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC
    No thanks on an intake. I'll have to look to see if there's a silencer or not. Intakes just cause MAF issues. I'd rather just modify my stock airbox. It's not a very rainy place out here so I have a lot less worries doing it here say versus where I used to live (Boston area).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well it's going to be an interesting couple of days. I only have the stock summer tires and rims right now, and it's snowing like crazy up here and supposed to continue through tomorrow. I can't really take my truck out since I have my kids and need to stick them in the car, but I might just have to put them in the front with me. I don't really want to drive on the snowy/icy roads up here with those summer tires on.....
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

KHP
    Well it's going to be an interesting couple of days. I only have the stock summer tires and rims right now, and it's snowing like crazy up here and supposed to continue through tomorrow. I can't really take my truck out since I have my kids and need to stick them in the car, but I might just have to put them in the front with me. I don't really want to drive on the snowy/icy roads up here with those summer tires on.....
    Hmm... Well that's a pretty tough dilemma. Most trucks has the ability to turn off the passenger airbags assuming your kids are small enough to still require child seats or boosters. If you can turn off your airbags then I say take the truck. Otherwise the STI would be crash safe meaning your kids would be safe in the back seats, but then you can go careening off the road with summer tires. lol I think the option of taking the truck sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Hmm... Well that's a pretty tough dilemma. Most trucks has the ability to turn off the passenger airbags assuming your kids are small enough to still require child seats or boosters. If you can turn off your airbags then I say take the truck. Otherwise the STI would be crash safe meaning your kids would be safe in the back seats, but then you can go careening off the road with summer tires. lol I think the option of taking the truck sounds better.
    If you look in my signature, you'll see that I don't really have to worry about airbags in my truck. They hadn't been invented yet when it was built.
    Scott

Roommate just bought pretty much the same exact car in white....love the car

we took it around last night in the snow covered streets around the apartment and the summer tires were a bit sketchy in braking situations but didnt appear they would leave you stranded anywhere.

Grats on the car. I am really hoping to get one myself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
    we took it around last night in the snow covered streets around the apartment and the summer tires were a bit sketchy in braking situations but didnt appear they would leave you stranded anywhere.
    I wouldn't attempt a hill with them. I didn't want to drag my old truck out from where it was, so I decided to just drive like a granny and get my son to daycare this morning. I pulled over the uphill lip of my driveway and started going down the snow covered road, and the car wouldn't stop. The ABS didn't even kick in. I slid about 50' down the road, had to let off the brakes to avoid skidding into the ditch, and managed to get across the road into a neighbor's driveway. I couldn't even move again, so I locked the DCCD and it took me another 10 minutes and at least 10 stop and starts, plus backing up to get myself away from the ditch, before the car was back in my driveway. That was a distance of less than 100' on a plowed but snow covered road. There the car will stay parked until I put snows on it.

The performance you saw on flat streets with probably much more driven on snow is nothing to go by. Fresh snow and a hill is a disaster with the car!
    Scott

We have been getting hammered here with snow as well. The stock summer tires are less than useless. New skins going on this Friday. Great looking ride by the way.

It's an 04 so the factory warranty is up. I do have an extended warranty for 4 years/48k miles which only cost me $3500 or so, with a $100 deductible. So actually those $10k in repairs have only cost me about $500.
    Ah...I thought I saw in your signature it said it was an '09. My bad. And nice looking STI in DGM. Exactly what I would get if I were in the market.

I finally got to drive it again today for the first time in a week! Woo hoo! It's been all snowy up by me, but now there's just a few patches so it's fine.

Time to order wheels and winter tires.....
    Scott

Wow did I really never update this?

I guess I've done a few updates on other threads by hijacking, but here's my own thread to add them to.

Since I last posted, I've added the following:
    Enkei Imola 18x8.5" black wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires - Most people want the nicer looking wheels for their summer setup, but I run winter tires 8 months a year and I love the black rims so I'm happy to keep them as my winter rims. I'm not really a fan of how the stock BBS wheels look. Some people love them, but I don't like wheels with that many spokes in general. The HRE 43's on my 911 look amazing even though they're about 20 spoke wheels, but the spokes are way thinner than the stock BBS on the STI, and the wheels overall on the Porsche make the STI BBSs look like a rotted pile of donkey dung IMHO.

Nameless Performance muffler delete exhaust, with custom powdercoated 30% gloss black tips. Awesome exhaust!

I'm still loving the car. I just wish I could have the S# setting as default instead of S. From what I've heard, flashing it will take care of that. I just need to take care of the flash now, but I've been waiting for a few thousand miles to see how the car is before doing it. I think I'm about ready.

I haven't taken care of the trunk debadging mainly because it's cold and snowy as hell here and I just didn't feel like it, but I'd give it another month and all the badges will be gone.

I also need to swap the sound system. I'm sorry I sold the Alpine system from my old STi since I think everything would fit other than the head unit. Oh well, I guess I'll have to do some shopping.

The suspension is going to remain the same, and I can't really think of much else I want to change right now. But give it a month and we'll see.....
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    are you planning on swapping the trunk?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    are you planning on swapping the trunk?
    I don't know. I liked how my 04 looked with the WRX spoiler, but for some reason I'm not as big a fan of the new body style with that spoiler. I don't love mine, but I don't love the WRX spoiler either. I may just wait until there's something aftermarket available.
    Scott

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast