Your Warranty and YOU
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Your Warranty and YOU within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What is Subaru's warranty policy? For information on the warranty coverage offered by Subaru of America, visit the following sites: ...

I Support ClubWRX

Your Warranty and YOU

What is Subaru's warranty policy?

For information on the warranty coverage offered by Subaru of America, visit the following sites:
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2009.html
    http://www.cars101.com/subwarr.html

NOTE: There are links on the right-hand navigation of the Subaru page that will point you to the proper warranty information for your model year.

"Will XXX modification void my warranty?"

This is a very common question, and a slight misconception on the part of the consumer.

A voided warranty and a denied warranty claim are two different situations. A dealership can deny a warranty claim, while not voiding your warranty. Some of the more common reasons for denied warranty claims are:
    • Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized Parts
    • Damage or Malfunction Due to Abuse, Neglect, Accident or Fire
    • Damage Caused Due to Use of Vehicle in Competitive Events
    • Damage or Malfunctions Due to Lack of Maintenance or Failure to Follow Instructions

What do these mean?

The following definitions provided are taken directly from the Subaru link above.

Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized Parts: These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the car such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by SOA.

Damage or Malfunction Due to Abuse, Neglect, Accident or Fire: These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to objects striking the car, road hazards, whether on or off the road, accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of SOA.

Damage Caused Due to Use of Vehicle in Competitive Events: These warranties do not cover damage to any component that is the result of operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event.

Damage or Malfunctions Due to Lack of Maintenance or Failure to Follow Instructions: These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to a failure to follow the operating instructions set forth in the Owner's Manual (e.g., failure to use proper fuel) or a failure to follow the Schedule of Recommended Inspection and Maintenance Services set forth in this Booklet.

What about the "Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act"?

The MMW Act is outlined in USC Title 15 Chapter 50. Courtesy of Cornell Law, you can view the legislation below:
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15..._15_10_50.html

I'm not a lawyer, WTF does that all mean?!

According to the FTC:
    The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage. In addition, it affects both the rights of consumers and the obligations of warrantors under written warranties.

To understand the Act, it is useful to be aware of Congress' intentions in passing it. First, Congress wanted to ensure that consumers could get complete information about warranty terms and conditions. By providing consumers with a way of learning what warranty coverage is offered on a product before they buy, the Act gives consumers a way to know what to expect if something goes wrong, and thus helps to increase customer satisfaction.

Second, Congress wanted to ensure that consumers could compare warranty coverage before buying. By comparing, consumers can choose a product with the best combination of price, features, and warranty coverage to meet their individual needs.

Third, Congress intended to promote competition on the basis of warranty coverage. By assuring that consumers can get warranty information, the Act encourages sales promotion on the basis of warranty coverage and competition among companies to meet consumer preferences through various levels of warranty coverage.

Finally, Congress wanted to strengthen existing incentives for companies to perform their warranty obligations in a timely and thorough manner and to resolve any disputes with a minimum of delay and expense to consumers. Thus, the Act makes it easier for consumers to pursue a remedy for breach of warranty in the courts, but it also creates a framework for companies to set up procedures for resolving disputes inexpensively and informally, without litigation.
    With regards to automotive enthusiasts, this is usually thrown into the discussion when talking about modified vehicles. This law essentially forces the manufacturer to prove the consumer didn't live up to their end of the warranty in order to deny a claim. Don't be confused, however, this doesn't imply the consumer is "innocent until proven guilty", it simply means that the manufacturer needs to reasonably deduce that the consumer failed to comply.

If I revert back to stock, they'll never know...

False!

A dealership wouldn't have much of a problem knowing that you recently removed a downpipe off your vehicle, since the bolts will have wear marks on them from your tools. With reflashed ECUs, you can revert to the stock map, but a dealership can tell that the car has been reflashed. They may not necessarily be able to determine what did the reflash, but they would have a record of any authorized reflash done by Subaru since they keep a service record.

If you've modified your vehicle, just be honest about it. There is a "good will" program in which the service manager has discretion to cover a portion of the repairs, even if it's not under warranty. If you were the service manager, and someone tried to pull one over on you saying the car wasn't modified when you knew it had been, how likely would you be to give them a break?

My Personal Recommendations:

If you are really worried about warranty coverage, keep the car 100% stock and explicitly follow the factory service maintenance schedule.

With that said...

Vehicle Modifications: If you want to modify your vehicle, do so to your hearts content, but be informed about the modications you install, and the potential consequences. Get to know your local Subaru service department employees, the service manager especially. Different dealerships will have different tolerances for modified cars; some will deny claims on any modified vehicle, some will only deny the larger ones (e.g., blown motor).

Abuse: Use common sense! Redline clutch dumps, full-lock powerslides in a snowy parking lot, etc. will cause excess wear on the car. Not to say you can't have fun with the car, but do so responsibly.

Competitive Racing: Motorsports (e.g., Auto-X, drag racing, etc.) are great opportunities for you as a driver to push both yourself and your vehicle to the limits (and sometimes beyond) in a safe, controlled environment. Technology is a wonderful tool to use with these activities, as it allows you to document runs and view them later to evaluate your performance and determine where you can improve. Posting pictures/videos on the Internet is a good way to show off your skills, get advice from others, etc., but it also creates "physical" evidence of your activities.

Vehicle Maintenance: Maintain a full service history record. If you get service done at the dealership, this will be maintained in their computer system automatically. If you choose to perform routine maintenance elsewhere (e.g., DIY, a local mechanic shop, etc.), keep dated receipts of all expenses.

Other Articles:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warran...6/article.html
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warran...8/article.html
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    You didn't like all the posts saying "will this mod deny my warranty"?

sticky!
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    we can sticky this but no one reads the stickies anyway.

i will add this to my collection of book marks that i bombard everyone with :]

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    +1. This needs to be stickied. Nicely done Matt.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Definitely should be stickied. Really nice write up.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    If someone doesn't know that engine, drivetrain, and suspension modifications may affect a warranty, they don't belong under the hood.

7n7
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    If someone doesn't know that engine, drivetrain, and suspension modifications may affect a warranty, they don't belong under the hood.
    +1
    2011 DGM Premium WRX 5 door

-Ben

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Don't be confused, however, this doesn't imply the consumer is "innocent until proven guilty", it simply means that the manufacturer needs to reasonably deduce that the consumer failed to comply.
    This is crucial! Here's my take...

The M/M Act or any other legislation is not going to help people that use unauthorized parts. It helps:

1. People that sell unauthorized parts.
    2. People authorized to service vehicles under warranty.

The former got your money. When the car breaks, the latter can simply say "no" and you are stuck standing there quoting laws. Nobody's listening. M/M or any other act isn't going to get your car fixed for free.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    1. People that sell authorized parts.
    2. People authorized to service vehicles under warranty.
    SD, is this what you meant?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    +2
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    SD, is this what you meant?
    No, the opposite. The M/M act benefits those that sell unauthorized parts. They use it as a banner (come buy our parts, they're not authentic but the law says you can use them and your warranty will be OK) and a shield (come buy our parts, they're not authentic but your car will be fixed under warranty anyway, they can't void your warranty).

In the end, it's unclear to me how the act benefits end users.

I've asked this before, but nobody has been able to fill in the blank:

Me: My car's busted. Fix it under warranty.
    Dealer: You're modded. Pay big money.
    Me: The M/M act protects my rights as a consumer and my warranty is valid. You can't void my warranty.
    Me: Fill in the blank.

My point is that the M/M act reads well for a legal document, is easy to quote, is popular on car fora online, but it doesn't fix cars. In the above example, I'm stuck with a broken car. The dealer can just say "no" and then... what?... I sue them? I address the United Nations? I contact NASA? I'm still stuck with a broken car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    No, the opposite. The M/M act benefits those that sell unauthorized parts. They use it as a banner (come buy our parts, they're not authentic but the law says you can use them and your warranty will be OK) and a shield (come buy our parts, they're not authentic but your car will be fixed under warranty anyway, they can't void your warranty).

In the end, it's unclear to me how the act benefits end users.

I've asked this before, but nobody has been able to fill in the blank:

Me: My car's busted. Fix it under warranty.
    Me: The M/M act protects my rights as a consumer and my warranty is valid. You can't void my warranty.
    Me: Fill in the blank.

My point is that the M/M act reads well for a legal document, is easy to quote, is popular on car fora online, but it doesn't fix cars. In the above example, I'm stuck with a broken car. The dealer can just say "no" and then... what?... I sue them? I address the United Nations? I contact NASA? I'm still stuck with a broken car.
    Ah, OK, yes I see your logic.

Facebook me here

All sorts of different businesses and companies have been doing that for years, and to be honest I can understand why they do that. It is their goal to make more money off of you, and if they could deny your claim because you have an aftermarket shift knob, they would. If they can deny your claim they will make way more money off of you for 1) paying for the warranty and 2) paying to get your car fixed.

Business wise, it is logical. The lines of what is acceptable to have and what isn't is very blurry.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Great post Matt.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    if they could deny your claim because you have an aftermarket shift knob, they would.

See it's already happening:

See bottom of first post, and then first reply.

Lots of brand new parts for sale

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast