Does the BOV on 2011 WRX Limited sound great
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the BOV on 2011 WRX Limited sound great within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Can you hear it when changing gears or is it quite. I don't want to sound like a little rice ...

Question Does the BOV on 2011 WRX Limited sound great

Can you hear it when changing gears or is it quite. I don't want to sound like a little rice kid and I know that its a minor detail but I love the way it sounds. Also i have read not to replace the BOV unless you go stage 2 otherwise you risk killing the engine, unless I misunderstood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subarus come with a bypass valve(Does not vent to atmosphere) if you tune the car you can run a bov, my 08 sti has a cai and you can hear the bpv its not real loud but i can def. hear it.

I love the way the BPV sounds on my '11 WRX Premium. The interesting thing is that it almost sounds as if it's dumping into the exhaust. When you let off the throttle you can hear it "burp". It's reminiscent (only not as loud) of the BPV sound made by the Nissan GTP cars form the late '80s to the early '90s.
    Personally, I would rather have that sound than any BOV that's open to atmosphere. I really don't like that "psh-pppp" sound very much. Besides, it's pretty much universally noted that a BOV can sometimes tend to make a car run like poop off boost. It fakes the ECU into running much richer than needed.

Tommy
    Last edited by LS6 Tommy; 11-28-2010 at 07:21 AM.

lol, okay. Clearly you can tell I'm a newbie at this. I've never had a turbocharged car before so its a bit exciting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_xBLADEx_xX View Post
    lol, okay. Clearly you can tell I'm a newbie at this. I've never had a turbocharged car before so its a bit exciting for me.
    If I came across as sounding condescending, it wasn't intentional. I wasn't trying to be preachy. You had a legitimate question. I'm a Subie-newbie, too, so I bet I'll be asking questions that seem basic to the other members.

Tommy

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    The stock BPV does not make much noise at all, if you want to hear the car, without making it sound like a fast and furious movie. Id suggest a short ram intake (SPT, K&N, or cobb). If it were my 11 I'd pay to have it installed by the dealer i plan on using for warranty service in that case the SPT is the way to go.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSubaru View Post
    if you tune the car you can run a bov
    The only way you can "tune" the car to run a BOV is to switch to a blow-through MAF system (MAF is after the turbo and BOV). The pull-through MAF system -- stock -- will always meter air before the BPV and therefore cannot be "tuned out" -- the car will always run rich after letting off boost.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 Tommy View Post
    If I came across as sounding condescending, it wasn't intentional. I wasn't trying to be preachy. You had a legitimate question. I'm a Subie-newbie, too, so I bet I'll be asking questions that seem basic to the other members.

Tommy
    Not at all Tommy . I was just wondering. I want everything stock for awhile but I want it to sound beefy to. I basically want to turn heads but not present myself as a racer.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    just get a catback exhaust. no tuning required & usually wont affect your warranty

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_xBLADEx_xX View Post
    Not at all Tommy . I was just wondering. I want everything stock for awhile but I want it to sound beefy to. I basically want to turn heads but not present myself as a racer.
    You'll be turning heads regardless in a '11. Better sound/performance option would be to get a cat-back IMO. Youtube the SPT cat-back exhaust for the 11 to get an idea what they sound like. You can get it dealer installed and it will be covered by the 3 year/30k warranty while giving you the sound you want.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    just get a catback exhaust. no tuning required & usually wont affect your warranty
    Another thing I'd have the dealer install. The warranty on your car may well prove to be worth five or six thousand dollars, think about all the years that had engine failure problems. During those times Subaru loves to deny claims based on mods.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The only way you can "tune" the car to run a BOV is to switch to a blow-through MAF system (MAF is after the turbo and BOV). The pull-through MAF system -- stock -- will always meter air before the BPV and therefore cannot be "tuned out" -- the car will always run rich after letting off boost.
    Correct and to add that that thought;

blow thru systems rarely work right without hours and hours of tuning/dyno time and $$ Its a neat Idea but the equation the ecu uses to calculate isn't correct for "post" compressor air charge.

the proper way to be able to use a valve that vents to atmosphere is to go with a standalone ecu that works on speed/density vs mass air.

Since that set up only uses calculations based on air temp and manifold pressure instead of flow and temp.. you can vent to atmosphere without issue.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I looked it up but it seems that Subaru sales the SPT exhaust for the hatch only as I would need one for the 2011 sedan. Unless there is an option out there that I am not aware of. I did hear the SPT exhaust and it makes a nice difference over stock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Correct and to add that that thought;

blow thru systems rarely work right without hours and hours of tuning/dyno time and $$ Its a neat Idea but the equation the ecu uses to calculate isn't correct for "post" compressor air charge.

the proper way to be able to use a valve that vents to atmosphere is to go with a standalone ecu that works on speed/density vs mass air.

Since that set up only uses calculations based on air temp and manifold pressure instead of flow and temp.. you can vent to atmosphere without issue.
    i think you have said this before. but its really easy! you need a pipe that is large enough to not max out voltage for the MAF. my turbo xs stock size CAI was 66mm ID. thats to small. before tuning even began i was at like 4.8 volts. since 5 is the max we added a 73mm ID pipe. even now with my current set up im not near maxing the volts out. once i get my taxtric cable ill log a few things and you can see how easy it is. once you have the numbers just plug them in. my tuner doesnt need to mess with them and they were set after the first real pull.

I have said it before, and done it before.. with lackluster results (comparative to amount of work/time required) every single time. Its not a viable solution compared to just leaving the air measuring device where its supposed to be.

Without going too deeply into this discussion here..

you can "rig" anything to "work" and make some power.. working correctly on the other hand takes much more than just a tube that restricts (smaller dia) or slows (larger dia) the air charge.
    Messing with scaling in maps or the voltage that the ecu see's to translate into that mapping is only a bandaid.

compressed/intercooled air has very different density characteristics than air at atmospheric pressure and outside temp.

The factory ecu only has a formula hardcoded to work with and translate uncompressed outside air.. its a much simpler formula and thus easier to repeat good solid results.

food for thought; Do you really want to try to re-invent something that a team of WELL PAID/EDUCATED professional engineers already designed to work for this application? ?? Who are we to believe they were wrong? ..

let alone the huge $$$ and r+d time to settle it all out.. I dont have that kinda time/cash.. nor facilities. Pretty sure you guys dont either.

and just to run a bov???? not worth it. Many have made just as much if not more power with the maf where it belongs and using the factory bpv as well as the factory intake/airbox.

[rant]
    Unless the ecu is programed to work in such a way.. blow thru = jury rig. There are easier and more effective ways to go about making power. [/rant]
    Last edited by mangostick; 11-28-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast