2011 WRX Questions
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Questions within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 2011 wrx (black pearl). Really happy with the car so ...

2011 WRX Questions

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 2011 wrx (black pearl). Really happy with the car so far. Already 3000km. Couple of things I'd like to ask some of the other owners.

The panel behind the rear passenger seats rattles like you would not believe. Have any of you experienced the same thing and what did you do to fix it?

Also, for you winter drivers, where is a good place on line to get rims. I live in canada and winter tires and rims will be necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll hopefully have pictures this week for you guys.

WaleImpaler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My '09 has the same rattle. I tried strategically shoving pieces of foam to make it stop but I got to a point where I was making it worse. Need to remove the panel and fully line it underneath. If you or anyone else remove the panel, please post a how-to.

Yeah my 2011 WRX had the same god-awful rattle. I fixed it by shoving a cotton ball hard between the back window and the black plastic cover thing. This might sound stupid but after a week, the cotton ball vibrated its way out of there and since then the rattle still hasn't come back (mostly)...
    - Kevin
    2011 Satin White Pearl WRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
    Yeah my 2011 WRX had the same god-awful rattle. I fixed it by shoving a cotton ball hard between the back window and the black plastic cover thing. This might sound stupid but after a week, the cotton ball vibrated its way out of there and since then the rattle still hasn't come back (mostly)...
    I did the same thing and it would be good for a month or so then another rattle would start. At one point I had 5 or 6 pieces of foam stuffed in random places and the rattles would eventually come back. I then removed everything and to my surprised there were no rattles. A couple months later the rattles are back. When I have time and figure out an easy way to get that rear deck off I am going to line the entire panel with foam batting. I think some of the rattles are also coming from the the side up near the headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by whaleimpaler View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 2011 wrx (black pearl). Really happy with the car so far. Already 3000km. Couple of things I'd like to ask some of the other owners.

The panel behind the rear passenger seats rattles like you would not believe. Have any of you experienced the same thing and what did you do to fix it?

Also, for you winter drivers, where is a good place on line to get rims. I live in canada and winter tires and rims will be necessary.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll hopefully have pictures this week for you guys.

WaleImpaler
    Tirerack.com has some decently priced wheel/tire packages for winter.

After one week my car has developed the same rattle. After a quick search on here I see it's pretty common. Anyone find a solid fix for it? I was thinking about getting some dynamat or something similar for that and the door panels because I am getting some rattles from them also. I love this car but it rattles worse than my 5 year old Frontier did inside.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    After one week my car has developed the same rattle. After a quick search on here I see it's pretty common. Anyone find a solid fix for it? I was thinking about getting some dynamat or something similar for that and the door panels because I am getting some rattles from them also. I love this car but it rattles worse than my 5 year old Frontier did inside.
    I also had a Frontier (2005 Nismo) and it took me a long time to accept the Subaru rattles. I used to try to fix them but I couldn't keep up. Just wait till you tighten up the suspension and change the exhaust.

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Has anyone taken the car to the dealership to let them deal with it? I've had problems like this with other cars in the past, and the dealers always took care of it under warranty.

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    Has anyone taken the car to the dealership to let them deal with it? I've had problems like this with other cars in the past, and the dealers always took care of it under warranty.
    sitting at the dealer now to have this fixed on my 2011 sti, they told me the problem is very common on the forresters, and have a Subaru tbs on it, so i am hoping they fix it right. Will post again in a few days to let you know if they got it.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I also had a Frontier (2005 Nismo) and it took me a long time to accept the Subaru rattles. I used to try to fix them but I couldn't keep up. Just wait till you tighten up the suspension and change the exhaust.
    Imagine that, I had an 05 Nismo also. Not sure if you had a crew or king cab but I had a king cab and the door rattles started to drive me crazy.
    I don't really want to "accept" rattles from a brand new car, at least not from a company like Subaru. I won't be changing anything like that on the car, it sounds great the way it is. Besides, I will never put an exhaust on a daily driver.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Imagine that, I had an 05 Nismo also. Not sure if you had a crew or king cab but I had a king cab and the door rattles started to drive me crazy.
    I don't really want to "accept" rattles from a brand new car, at least not from a company like Subaru. I won't be changing anything like that on the car, it sounds great the way it is. Besides, I will never put an exhaust on a daily driver.
    Yeah, I had the king cab as well. It was a great truck. Arguably more comfortable and quiet than my WRX and it was a towing monster with a 6 speed and VQ40. Mileage...not so good with 4wd, 33's, and a lift. I often miss it but I have no need for a truck like that in DC. The last year I owned it I only put on about 1,500 miles so it was time to get something more fun.

I don't blame you about not accepting the rattles. Most of mine are from the upgrades I've done so I'm not going to bother the dealership about it. I actually have some insulation (6oz polyester batting for quilting--.my wife's cost-effective idea) for to put behind the panels that will hopefully get rid of the rattles. I just need to find the time to install it.

I found a quick fix for the rear panel. I just grabbed some pretty dense black foam i had laying around (about 1/8 to 1/4" thick), cut out a strip the length of the rear window and you place it between the panel and the rear window. That's where my vibrating has been coming from...the panel vibrating against the rear window.

For the door panels, same thing. The panel is very thin where the cup holder is, so I'm going to line the thin part with same stuff. It's pretty heavy and helps dampen a lot.

Hope this helps you guys.

I know this seems like a crude fix, but it works and its cheap.

Im hearing the rattling noise by my moon roof controls..

Quote Originally Posted by David920 View Post
    Im hearing the rattling noise by my moon roof controls..
    I got that one after installing stiffer sway bars.

So nobody has taken it into the dealer to fix the rattle..? I'm imagining its something covered under the warranty, no..?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast