What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? - Page 9
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 What is aggrevating is that a heavier S4 with 2 more cylinders and a less efficient ...

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    What is aggrevating is that a heavier S4 with 2 more cylinders and a less efficient supercharger, gets better mileage.
    Its sad that even the 2.0T A4s get much better mileage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After I lowered my 2010 WRX 2.5 inches and added an exhaust and a Perrin pulley I get 30mpg all day on the highway and if I'm really gentle I have gotten 31.5mpg. If Subaru put in an overdrive 6th gear to get the RPM down to 2,000RPM at 60mph I bet we could be in the mid 30's! I find it ridiculous that we are spinning 2,700RPM's at 60 to 70mph
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    With gentle driving and some hypermiling practices I have seen 29 mpg on mine. AP Stage 1 & Nameless Axelback.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

I get about 25-27mpg. I drive 100 miles a day @ 55-60 mph. I have even gotten 30 mpg drafting trucks in the same conditions. All according to my trip computer. So i did the math at the pump and it was legit. The 30 mpg was for a 90 mile stretch on a trip at 60-65mph. Numbers seem kinda high to everyone elses guess I'm a little lucky haha. Im sure if i put it on a dnyo though I would be at the low end of the numbers there.

It's your 100 miles a day at those speeds. I got 27-28mpg the entire way up to and through Canada driving 60mph the whole way on the freeway. I barely hit 21mpg today and I was being good (65mph), but that offset traffic jams I sat in yesterday (11mpg at one point!). I got 23.7 on my last tank, but that was behaving 60-70 the entire tank. If I go 75-85, I get 21-22mpg at most.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

The electronic counter is thrown off my idoling.... excessive stoplights skew it too high
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

My electronic gas mileage thingy typically says I get about 27.0-27.6 mpg. However when I've tested it the old fashioned way (how much gas it takes to fill the tank divided by how many miles I drove since I last reset the odometer) I get about 25.5 mpg.

I do mostly highway driving, but I let the Subaru redline now and then and have to drive in a semi-busy city occasionally.
    2010 Subaru WRX

wow, some of you guys are getting good mileage. i have a fairly new car, so my mileage is bad for now, around 21-22 mpg. i hope it goes up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cenix View Post
    wow, some of you guys are getting good mileage. i have a fairly new car, so my mileage is bad for now, around 21-22 mpg. i hope it goes up soon.
    I have 1200 miles on my car and I am getting 26-27 mpg and still having a blast with her!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

I filled up the tank today and it was 1 mpg off the rating (for the worse), which is the largest difference I've ever seen to date (usually within 0.2 here).

Anyway, I took a 100 mile round trip through mostly highway and local roads and shifted like a granny like I've never shifted before (shifting mostly at 2500 RPM) and keeping it to 55mph for the most part and even shifted to neutral once or twice going down a hill. By the time I got to my destination (halfway point), I had 30.9mpg! I never thought I'd see over 28.2 which is the highest I got going a flat 60mph up into Northern Ontario 400 miles after I got the car. On the way back, I drove the 12 mile (almost) freeway stretch going 65 this time and it was at 29.7 by the time I got through the lights before that (seemed to hit every red light) and it actually went back up to 30mpg at 65, which surprised me. By the time I got home (going mostly 50-55 on average the rest of the way on the back road interstate), I was back up to 30.6mpg for the whole trip.

So, if you want 30mpg, shift at 2500 RPM and keep it under 65 and even (oddly enough I was STILL passing the people around me after a red light, the only difference being I was only ahead 3-4 car lengths after 30 seconds instead of 1/2 of a mile....

It's weird because I felt like I wasn't moving at all since the engine was so low (the SPT just rumbles in that 1500-2000 RPM range), but apparently normal cars are even slower (short of almost flooring them, I suppose). Either that or everyone is trying to get better gas mileage. It wasn't a whole lot of fun driving like that, though.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    So, if you want 30mpg, shift at 2500 RPM .
    Possibly true but the car seriously bogs at that low of RPM. You can still drive like that but I can hear my car grumble. moan, and voice it's displeasure when I shift below 3k in any gear. If you're not coasting downhill I don't know how 2500rpm is even plausible unless you're behind a gray-hair in a Buick.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Well, it was later at night (8:15-10:20 PM), but I was still moving faster than everyone else around me in 3 lanes from a red light (admittedly 1st gear was more like 3k or even 4k, but ~2500 after that). The car was cruising between 1800-2400 RPM the entire time in 5th. I had no issues keeping it there. Yeah, it's noisier at those speeds (low grumble, especially with my SPT exhaust), but with the windows up I wouldn't call it "displeasure". The car didn't complain at all. It rewarded me with 30+mpg. You just can't expect to go 0-60 in 5 seconds. It takes more like 12 seconds. Just pretend you're a Prius.

Admittedly, I don't think I'd normally have the patience to drive like that. It's not why I bought the car, but it's at least interesting to see it actually get over 30mpg on a real trip (not just a flat long freeway or down a hill). 30mpg is way over the freeway estimate from Subaru. I think if I had a long enough trip, I could get 31-32mpg at this point. I'd imagine a tune would make it even simpler.

All I know is that is the same engine my mother's Legacy has in it (minus a turbo) and she gets 38mpg on that same trip with a CVT transmission (which can adjust to even lower RPMs at freeway speeds), so I'm thinking a 6th gear overdrive could have netted a WRX well over 30mpg at 65+. 3k RPM for 65-70mph is too high for good gas mileage. In the end, it's still a 4-banger and it should get 4-banger gas mileage if you're not hitting that turbo. The fact it's not tells me they didn't gear it right at the top. It should be sitting right at 1800RPM at 65mph on flat surface, IMO, not 2800RPM, which would allow it to then do 80+mph at 3k.

Her in-town only driving lately has only been getting 21-22mpg which is right where my WRX is if I don't plonk down in-town. The big difference between her Legacy and my WRX is the highway/freeway milage (hers will go to 38+mpg easily and mine is topping out at around 30 at best) With mixed driving, she'll get 28-30mpg and I'll get 23-25 at best (unless doing this granny thing and even then too many red lights will kill it).
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 10-21-2011 at 08:25 PM.

2011 sti wagon i am averaging 23mpg at a average 70mph. i drive mostly hwy 120 miles a day.
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

19-20 mpg, stock, says on the indicator, i do miss my '06 civic whenever i go to the gas station 34 mpg average..but once i get on the car then i forget all about it...haha!
    2011 WRX WRB HB, 2011 FORESTER SSM AWP Premium.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
    Kurt Cobain

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Possibly true but the car seriously bogs at that low of RPM. You can still drive like that but I can hear my car grumble. moan, and voice it's displeasure when I shift below 3k in any gear. If you're not coasting downhill I don't know how 2500rpm is even plausible unless you're behind a gray-hair in a Buick.
    2500 rpm is where I regularly shift at and I have no problem keeping up with traffic or engine bogging/lugging and I don't slow others down as well.Here is a very shaky video of 2500 rpm shifts in traffic. Speed limit is 45mph
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjKg...e_gdata_player

Sent from tapatalk.
    Last edited by Hoofhearted; 10-25-2011 at 12:52 AM.
    2011 Base WRX