What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by rocketryan I get about 23 mpg regardless of where I drive, which I think is acceptable for ...

Quote Originally Posted by rocketryan View Post
    I get about 23 mpg regardless of where I drive, which I think is acceptable for the pace just wish the juice was cheaper
    Always gotta ask yourself in any situation, "is the juice worth the squeeze?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I do mainly around town driving - very little highway - and with 1500 miles in I have been getting 22.5 mpg recently. It has improved since the first month when I averaged around 21.5. Friends have seen the mileage get better as the miles rolled up into the teens and then steady off.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I average 22-23mpg, mixed driving with a few quick burst which is pretty much what I expected with the car. This is manually calculating it. The mpg computer always shows 1-2 mpg higher than it actually is. It currently shows 25.8 on this tank.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I don't care much about mileage, i just want to drive and drive........

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    Man, I just be driving her way too hard! I'm at just over 1000 miles and averaging around 18.6 mpg.

the only time i average 24-25 is when idrive a lot of freeway...
    otherwise in city, ill get 18-19, really cramped up cities with tons of lights... 16-17

Here is my summary of fillups I've recorded. I don't like getting a full tank usually (less weight lol!) but with gas prices continuing to rise, I figure I might as well. This is 75% city driving but there are long stretches of 60mph driving so it's almost hwy-ish:

(1,000 miles) 311 miles / 13.443 gallons = 23.14 mpg (this was the break-in)
    (2,000 miles) 286 miles / 13.348 gallons = 21.44 mpg
    (4,000 miles) 296.7 miles / 13.887 gallons = 21.36 mpg
    (4,400 miles) 298.4 miles / 13.82 gallons = 21.59 mpg

I drive the car pretty good so to still be above 20mpg (on 91 octane) really impresses me.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

You use 91? I was thinking about going from 93 to 91 myself. It's the min for the WRX, but 93 is the min for the STI.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

Everyone here in CA is stuck with 91...even the STI guys.

If they sold 93 I would be all over it.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Banned
    22mpg even with mostly highway driving. I have commited to go 70mph on the highway. It seems to have helped. My first couple tanks were low. like 18-19.

Update

I've been slowly creeping up to 25 mpg on the highway, generally cruising at 75-80 mph, this is on 91 octane with ethanol. Not too bad, It generally stays at about 24-25 even with the 10-15% city driving. Only 1600 miles on it, but been getting better for sure. I think I may even get 400 miles to this tank if I were to really baby it.

Is California gas 10% ethanol? Its tough to find gas without ethanol out here.

ca gas is all 10% etoh unless you go to a race gas supplier

Here is the first 25,000 miles on my 2011 premium wrx. Got it the last day of August. I live above 7,000 feet and I use 91 octane (highest we get up here). BTW, it consistently reads 2-3 mpg more than the calculated value.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miles per gallon.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	97104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miles per fillup.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	97105

Thus far I'm getting about 2mpg less than my '04 WRX on the same drive to work (20mpg versus 22) and that's about 3-4 miles urban and 8-9 freeway, but I'm usually going 75-80 on the freeway since I always seem to be running late. My trip computer's estimate was right on the money the last time I compared it. I think the difference is in the power at turbo. The '11 has 38 more hp (dynos show it's probably more like 70-75 more at the crank since they under-rate it) so it makes sense it would burn more gas if plonked on hard. I see 16 in urban areas (not 19) so I'm thinking Subaru must rate it without any real use of boost.

This car is very difficult (more so than 'the '04) to drive like a granny with it. It just wants to move. I don't think I'm doing well in the 'burn-in' period for avoiding boost (many short bursts on freeway ramps and smaller bits in urban areas). Given all I've read on burn-in, that's probably not a bad thing in 2011. Tolerance of parts isn't the issue today, but not enough force to seat the rings still is and all sub-4k isn't going to do it from the evidence I've seen (Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power). Subaru has their own agenda for the granny recommendation, I'm sure, but I don't buy it's uneven ring wear in 2011 or they wouldn't be using synthetic oil for the break-in period since that suggests that part tolerance is not considered an issue since you need more friction to wear any uneven surfaces than synthetic provides). Subaru tests their engines at over 100mph at the factory, which is more evidence their recommendation has nothing to do with old school break-in. I also can't see test-driving a car without seeing what it can do as it would be pointless. I guess if my engine dies it'll be my fault, though (and my dealer for telling me that Subaru told them the conventional break-in isn't actually necessary anymore; I suppose he could be an idiot or lying, but given they have to deal with the warranty). I'd be curious to see dyno numbers for 'babied' break-ins of the WRX versus a more-spirited break-in (and even more to see the actual pistons pulled out like with the motorcycles on that linked site that show babied piston rings don't fully seat and then get stuck in that position, robbing you of power).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

2011 wrx sedan 3400 miles. live in a very rural area, and have alot of city driving...i averaged 21 since i have gotten the car... i reset the trip b computer and got 14.5mpg