What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? - Page 14
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Calvinball What are you, un-american?! I'm "powhitetrashsavinghismoneytoputkidsthrucolleg e-ican"....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    What are you, un-american?!
    I'm "powhitetrashsavinghismoneytoputkidsthrucolleg e-ican".
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Eh, I see a lot of people driving around, wasting engine/brake life and gas needlessly. Absolutely useless to floor it between red lights.
    I can't tell you how many red lights I could have avoided hitting one after another if only the people in front of me were hitting the gas instead of acting like they're in a Prius. And how many more where I get stuck with the red light as the guy in front of me poke poke poking just barely makes it through as it changes red on him (that one really annoys me since I'm paying for his geriatric driving sins).

Now when I'm in front, I may look stupid sometimes hitting another redlight as the slowpokes behind me catch up to me 45 seconds later, but often times I'm the ONLY person to make it through the next set of lights as they all get trapped at the next red light because they took 30 more seconds to get to the darn thing accelerating like they're walking with polio. And I'm NOT launching or flooring it. It's simply UNBELIEVABLE to me how slow most people drive today. I've already learned I don't save much gas either way (sitting at a red light going ZERO kills it FAR more than stepping on it and keeping going and I don't mean speeding necessarily either, just getting up to speed quickly instead of taking all day to do it).

What amazes me more is apparently how many people spent a lot more than a regular Impreza to get a WRX whose sole redeeming features over the regular Impreza is that it accelerates much harder and corners better only to drive it like they own a 1st Gen Prius 99% of the time. You might as well just get the Prius because the WRX can't get even remotely comparable gas mileage no matter how slow you go.

On the other side of the Spectrum, I don't know how fast you'd have to go on the freeway to only get 18mpg maximum (I don't mean averaged with city either) as a recent poster suggested. I still get at least 20-21 mpg at 85mph so I'm guessing something closer to 100 sustained the entire time.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

then whats the point of buying a wrx, to drive it like its a prius?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Najarian View Post
    then whats the point of buying a wrx, to drive it like its a prius?
    thats a good point, i dont drive like a prius, but i still drive to maintain gas mileage with occasional times i like to get on it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I think it all depends on where you're driving

For example, half my commute is through residential north philly street. Do I:
    Drive it like I stole it every block between lights?
    or
    Do my best not to waste gas that I'll use for more fun on west river drive
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have had my wrx for about 5 months now and i have 18,000 on it (bought it new with 0 mi on it). i drive all high way and i average 23.4 mi per gallon, usually driving between 75- 80 mph.....

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    What amazes me more is apparently how many people spent a lot more than a regular Impreza to get a WRX whose sole redeeming features over the regular Impreza is that it accelerates much harder and corners better only to drive it like they own a 1st Gen Prius 99% of the time. You might as well just get the Prius because the WRX can't get even remotely comparable gas mileage no matter how slow you go.
    I use the acceleration and handling of my car, but only when no other cars are around, making it the safest time on the road. Therefore, everyone in the entire world aside from my friends and girlfriend in the passenger seat could think I'm wasting the properties of my WRX. "If a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does anyone care?"
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxgc View Post
    "If a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does anyone care?"
    good point
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    I can't tell you how many red lights I could have avoided hitting one after another if only the people in front of me were hitting the gas instead of acting like they're in a Prius. And how many more where I get stuck with the red light as the guy in front of me poke poke poking just barely makes it through as it changes red on him (that one really annoys me since I'm paying for his geriatric driving sins).
    What's your hurry?
    I enjoy my time in the car; I roll down the window, look around, listen to podcasts, look at girls in other cars, whatever. If I get there 4 minutes later...meh.

Hitting the gas in traffic to show off to myself, or whoever, that I don't own a Prius has become less of a draw, and simply manufactures a dangerous situation for those around you. I wait for my opportunities...I have favorite on-ramps where I can uncork the hybrid and feel that cool sense of being pushed through my seat, and I have a nice S-curve near my work that is always fun to accelerate out of, when no one is in front of me.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah but I hate when there are slow people in front of you for those curves, they always seem to hit the brakes all the way through
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    Yeah but I hate when there are slow people in front of you for those curves, they always seem to hit the brakes all the way through
    That favorite S-curve that I referenced; I'll set my entrance speed and look forward to it...only to have someone pull out of a residential street right in front of me before I can get to it. D'oh!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'm usually strategic about my 'spirited driving'. I wait for the right opportunities, and using the POWER in short bursts. Almost never do I gun it for no reason.

When I first got the car I pledged to "not be an a-hole". It's very hard to stick to, but I've been (mostly) successful.

I hear ya about the traffic light thing though. There are several lights on my commute that if I go too slow, I'll miss the light. There are times however, if I get on the throttle too much I'll actually hit the tail end of the red.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

When I hear people complain about others being slow on the road and how they drive it like they stole it everywhere, I just picture Usain Bolt running through the aisles of the grocery store grabbing everything he can as fast as possible and telling the little old ladies "GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!". Just because you have it doesn't mean you always have to use it.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    What's your hurry?
    I enjoy my time in the car; I roll down the window, look around, listen to podcasts, look at girls in other cars, whatever. If I get there 4 minutes later...meh.
    I could do that in a Toyota. I might as well have gotten a Scion Tc.

In any case, I consider it safer to get away from the pack of unpredictable cars (assuming I'm in front and can do so) than to travel around them and have them run into the back of me because they decided to text someone on their phone. And I'm hardly flooring it. I simply accelerate at a reasonable rate. That rate in a WRX just happens to put me far ahead of everyone else. I don't see that as going too fast (I'm usually at the speed limit; I simply accelerate faster), but rather the other cars are accelerating way too slow. Some of the more busy streets around here have a very limited time span until they turn red again especially on arrows, etc. and people poking around means I have to sit through 2-3 lights instead of 1 or none. By the time a few get through the light, it's red again. It's irritating. At least 2x the number of cars should be getting through that light. I could literally run around the bend faster.

But you want to talk about unsafe? The speed limit is 65 around here and some of these people seem to think they're going to merge into traffic doing 45 when everyone else is doing 65-75 in the oncoming traffic lane. And I get to follow them.... Merging at less than the average traffic speed is VERY UNSAFE in my opinion and you aren't doing yourselves any favors going that slow. You only increase the likelihood of an accident. And most of these people going slow also don't use their turn signals (you'd think they weren't installed in today's cars they're used so little) and many like to ride in the left freeway lane the WHOLE WAY to their destination, blocking faster moving traffic and irritating the hell out of my nerves (because then I do have to play weave-in, wave-out to get around their moronic asses and at least a couple of times when I get 45mph plus won't move out of the left lane combined with can't get around them in the right lane either since they're matching a toe truck or something so NO ONE can get around them going 45-50 in a 65 zone, I get outright road rage at which point I flick them off after I get around them and then sometimes they get it too right back and then we have a nice little Smokey And the Bandit chase down the freeway with both sides wanting to run the other off the road or worse...all because they cannot obey the passing lane rule for the left lane and get the hell out of the way once they're done passing.

Hitting the gas in traffic to show off to myself, or whoever, that I don't own a Prius has become less of a draw, and simply manufactures a dangerous situation for those around you. I wait for my opportunities...I have favorite on-ramps where I can uncork the hybrid and feel that cool sense of being pushed through my seat, and I have a nice S-curve near my work that is always fun to accelerate out of, when no one is in front of me.
    I don't show off. I simply want to get to my destination. Slow moving traffic just irritates the hell out of me. Between un-timed lights that stop you for no reason (particularly irritating when NO ONE is there going the other way) and people that are texting, talking on their cell phones, not generally paying any attention to the road and therefore staring into space for 5 seconds after the light changes to green so that I have to lay on my horn to get them to notice are all preventable problems related to people that appear to care more about telling someone they're sitting in traffic rather than actually getting out of traffic. Me, I use my turn signals. I don't text EVER and the extremely rare car phone call I make or answer is with a hands-free blue-tooth system in the WRX. But normally, I leave my cell phone off. I'm there to drive, not chit-chat.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxgc View Post
    When I hear people complain about others being slow on the road and how they drive it like they stole it everywhere, I just picture Usain Bolt running through the aisles of the grocery store grabbing everything he can as fast as possible and telling the little old ladies "GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!". Just because you have it doesn't mean you always have to use it.
    I'm talking about reasonable/decent acceleration, not driving it like I stole it. I'm not flooring it and I'm not anxious to weave in or out of traffic on local roads (bad enough I have to do it on the freeway when I'm trying to get to work on time). I normally go the speed limit or no more than 5mph over it on local roads. I observe school zones, use my proper signals, normally stay off the phone and generally drive a hell of a lot safer than most people (no accidents that I caused in 21 years now of driving; I wish I could say the same about the other way around, but I've been hit HARD twice, once by a drunk driver from behind and once by a lady half asleep running a 6 second dead red light at 70+ mph on a 45mph local road.
    Last edited by MagnumXL; 03-01-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.