What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by MagnumXL If some are getting the kind of numbers just mentioned, then there is a huge disparity ...

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    If some are getting the kind of numbers just mentioned, then there is a huge disparity in ECU mapping, IMO. I'd be lucky to get 24mpg at 75mph with almost no city driving. Hell, I've been losing 0.3 mpg on average every day just between letting the car warm up for 40 seconds to a minute and getting 1/4 mile up the road and that's after getting almost 31mpg on the tank for the first 100 miles. I ended up getting 24 miles for the entire tank at the pump today on the computer and 23.3 by dividing it out (I've noticed the computer was dead-on accurate for the first few months and has been steadily getting worse as time goes on and not for the better).

I doubt my new "low rolling resistance" tires will help much given how much gas I lose just idling and accelerating. I'm thinking a tune would probably help more than anything. I think the car is running too rich gauging by the comparative numbers in this thread where some are clearly getting 2-4mpg more on average in similar conditions.
    I hear you there. I have noticed that idling and warming the car up impacts the calculations pretty quickly. I expect my mileage to go down a bit with the colder weather starting to set in. Keep in mind that I encounter only a few red lights on my commute. If I did your exact commute I may see similar mpg numbers in my car. Fuel consumption has always been a lower point of the WRX variants from what I read. Strangely I am getting slightly better fuel economy so far than my old SRT did.
    2011 Spark Silver Metallic WRX Limited - purchased 9/3/11
    2004 SRT-4 FP Green, Diablosport, 344whp/375wtq 93 oct. | Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Let's all be honest here, none of us bought this car for its mpg capabilities....

so why complain about it?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

^ exactly lol if mpg is what I cared about I would still have my tC

The best I can manage hypermiling on the highway is about 29mpg, that's with a lot 'burn and coast'. Hopefully that will increase as I get more miles onto the car, its only at 1500miles right now.

Its hard to say what I get around town since I don't keep track of that too well, but I'm guessing I can manage about 23mpg.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX
    On my bugeye, I actually saw better fuel economy after putting on the Cobb Stage 1 map. On long highway trips, I can top 30 mpg without really trying. On my regular commute, I average around 24, just driving normally.

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Yeah, I've wondered about the effects of Stage 1, but I'm afraid of the possible warranty denials if something goes wrong. Subaru claims they can tell if you've reprogrammed the ECU they can tell. Of course $600 buys quite a bit of gas to just get an extra 1-2mpg (yes, I know the real point is to get another 30-40HP or so with the option of reprogramming for more yet later with added goodies).

I just loaded a new tank of gas just before I got home last night and I had 24mpg when I parked in the garage with 2 miles on the tank. It was counting down about 0.3mpg per 4 seconds this morning when I started the car. I normally get 21-22mpg driving just to work and back with 9 miles of freeway (going maybe 75-80 on average) and like 3-4 miles of back road (35mph with 4 lights before the freeway on way and 3 lights after and I usually get stuck at least half of them, one of which can back up pretty bad on the way home). If I go shopping, I'll get a lot more and that happens at least 1-2 times per tank.

Anyway, I had 24.6mpg on the tank when I arrived at work and I was going about 73mph on average the whole time on the freeway. I thought maybe these low-rolling resistance Michelins are helping (usually would end up with 22-23 on a new tank on that trip). On the way home, I only went 65mph but I was still down to 23.4 by the time I got home (and was at 22.5 by the time I got off the freeway. Traffic was going slow on the road so I shifted into 4th and had low RPMs on my side which creeped it up to 23.6 and dropped slightly to 23.3 with the one light I hit.

Basically, it's too soon to tell. The problem will be 'driving normally' to compare since I tend to go fast in the early morning if I'm running close to being late for work (seems to happen way too often). But time should eventually tell if I do any better. I agree the cold weather can screw the numbers up too, though. While the intake might like cold air, the rest of the engine does not and will run on the rich side until it warms up. Plus I don't like to take right off in cold weather and typically let the engine warm up anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes (sometimes even more on really cold days) depending on the temperature.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I'm about halfway through my first full tank with the new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S low rolling resistance tires. Gas mileage is still holding steady at around 23.5 (moves between 23.4 and 23.7) mpg, which is about 2mpg more than with the Dunlops it came with for the same drive to work and back (was getting around 21.5mpg for that same commute alone). I'll be curious to see if I can top 30.7mpg driving a longer highway drive (which is my all time high for a long drive, in that case a 100 mile round trip). One WRX owner on Tire Rack reported getting a high average of 32.5mpg with the tire. That sounds plausible to me at this point.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

On my way home today....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1321310389677.jpg  

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    On my way home today....
    Must be all the missing body parts.Weight reduction FTW!!!
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Must be all the missing body parts.Weight reduction FTW!!!
    How'd you know my secret??!?!

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

30 MPG

Recently I've been experimenting with different speeds and seeing how the gas milage changes. With moderate boost and driving between 65-70 MPH on the freeway, I got an average of 27 MPG. If all freeway I would get 30 MPG. With moderate boost and freeway speeds of 80-85 MPH, I would get about 21-22 MPG. With I dont care attitude and some freeway I would be around 20-21 MPG. I haven't gotten below 20 MPG yet. My driving consist of 60% freeway 40% city. See the video.
    2011 WRX WRB
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
    Videos on my 2011 Subaru WRX

http://www.youtube.com/smurfinwrx

Instagram @SmurfinWRX

Keep that up for 300 miles and then report back. The MPG estimate thingy does a lot of guesswork, especially with fewer miles driven. Seeing your totally full tank of gas and ~26 mile trip meter, that explains the high numbers.

Here's me a few miles after a fill-up and encountering no traffic or hills:

The only legit way of calculating MPG is to totally fill up, drive to empty, totally fill again and use the receipt and odometer to calculate true MPG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mpg.jpg  
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    Keep that up for 300 miles and then report back. The MPG estimate thingy does a lot of guesswork, especially with fewer miles driven. Seeing your totally full tank of gas and ~26 mile trip meter, that explains the high numbers.

Here's me a few miles after a fill-up and encountering no traffic or hills:

The only legit way of calculating MPG is to totally fill up, drive to empty, totally fill again and use the receipt and odometer to calculate true MPG.
    since the video its been about 500 miles, im getting about 27 mpg. calculating the fill up and gallons filled gives me the same number.
    2011 WRX WRB
    CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
    Videos on my 2011 Subaru WRX

http://www.youtube.com/smurfinwrx

Instagram @SmurfinWRX

As a newbie, I'm actually very happy with the fuel economy I'm getting based off of the 19-25mpg from the EPA. My first tank, that I messured and still in the break in period, was 23.8mpg with mixed driving of 75-25% (city the lower number). When I get on the highway and zero it out, in 28 miles driving between 60-75 (avg something in the middle) I've gotten between 26-30mpg which aint too shabby at all for a car of such performance. I can't wait to test it @75 on a full tank of gas to see what she can do.

Just adding my .02...

mrd
    On 6,500miles, i have 22.8mpg with morning school rush where it takes 10mins for 1 mile. Rest is hw/city. I must say that I'm happy with what it does with given performances.
    Anyhow, there are times I get 16mpg, but soon after that I get to my sense and go back to normal driving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.