What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? - Page 10
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of milage are you actually getting on your 2011 WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just reached 1000+ miles on my new 2011 wrx and I feel like I am getting worse gas mileage. ...

I just reached 1000+ miles on my new 2011 wrx and I feel like I am getting worse gas mileage. I had trip A going since I bought the car, and trip B for every tank so I could compare the MPG on both from the dash. Before I got around the 1000 mile mark it was reading about 24mpg on both which I was completely happy with. Now I noticed the trip A(the one I've had going since I bought the car 1000miles on the trip now) has dropped noticeably, now around 21-22. So out of curiosity I reset my trip B while I was driving at 70 on the highway, and once the avg mpg started displaying I was in shock, 19-21 on the highway!?...I get better gas mileage in town, and once I hit town and started driving around, sure enough it went up. So should I be worried about my car, is something wrong, should I take it in? Or am I just an idiot?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine did something similar - wait till your 1st oil change - it will feel and sound better. My mileage on the trip calc thing did get bad after like 1000 miles and stayed that way until i crossed 5 or 6000 miles i think - now Im at 13200 and i get about 22.2 city and on a long trip, i can get to 26.9. Considering how i drive and what the car can do, Im happy!

Quote Originally Posted by gandhilicious View Post
    I just reached 1000+ miles on my new 2011 wrx and I feel like I am getting worse gas mileage. I had trip A going since I bought the car, and trip B for every tank so I could compare the MPG on both from the dash. Before I got around the 1000 mile mark it was reading about 24mpg on both which I was completely happy with. Now I noticed the trip A(the one I've had going since I bought the car 1000miles on the trip now) has dropped noticeably, now around 21-22. So out of curiosity I reset my trip B while I was driving at 70 on the highway, and once the avg mpg started displaying I was in shock, 19-21 on the highway!?...I get better gas mileage in town, and once I hit town and started driving around, sure enough it went up. So should I be worried about my car, is something wrong, should I take it in? Or am I just an idiot?
    Also, don't forget that you had the break in period the first 500 miles.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    Also, don't forget that you had the break in period the first 500 miles.

I was seeing better gas mileage the first 500 miles though, shouldn't it be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhilicious View Post
    I was seeing better gas mileage the first 500 miles though, shouldn't it be worse?
    You were driving easy right?

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    You were driving easy right?

Yes. Still am. I took off the roof rack now, I'll see what happens didn't think it would impact it that much. Guess we'll see. Thank for the replies btw!
    Last edited by gandhilicious; 10-28-2011 at 08:22 AM.

I don't know WTF these guys are talking about. Changing the oil will help? Bologna. My gas mileage is 21-22mpg ALL THE TIME in normal driving to work and hasn't changed after my oil change over a month ago. Get used to it. These cars are HORRIBLE on gas mileage.

That's all this car will get UNLESS you drive 55-60mph TOPS. IF you shift at 2500 RPM after first gear (first at 3-3.5k) and top out at 55 and don't accelerate too fast to 2500, you can get almost 31mpg on the highway (IF you don't have to stop much at all). The main things that kill gas mileage in this car are

1> Idling (i.e. red lights). If you have to sit in traffic or at red lights a lot, forget about it. Your gas mileage will SUCK.

2> Driving over 60mph. You gas mileage will drop from 28-30mpg tops to 24-26 tops at 65mph and to 23-24 at 70mph and 21mph up to 85mph.

3> Driving in-town a lot in traffic. Between red lights and general stop/slow/go you can expect 12-19 mpg. I'm NOT kidding. I got 12mpg in-town in busy traffic. Yes, 12!

Basically, Subaru cars are all over the place in terms of gas mileage. My mother's Legacy gets 38mpg on strict 55mph highway, but only gets 21mpg in city driving. That's a HUGE difference. She's averaging 24-25mpg in mixed driving and 22mpg going 6 miles to work in city driving. I'd probably get 17mpg on that same run and I don't mean using my turbo and having fun. AWD has 20-25% loss of power in the drive-train and Subaru's engines are piss-poor efficient all-around. Toyota and Honda have them licked in that department. 4-cylinders (without using the turbo) should be 28/40mpg with today's cars. Subaru is 19-26 and even with AWD drive losses (25% versus 12%) it doesn't account for their awful gas mileage. That should tell you something.

I just bought 'green Eco' tires from Michelin. One WRX owner claimed his gas mileage went up around 2mpg. We'll see. I highly doubt it. I'll be happy if mine just doesn't go down (that's what happened when I went from Michelin to Goodyear Triple-treads on my last car).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I just got 28.9 mpg. That is official by calculating miles driven and gallons added. I drive 25 miles to work on the interstate 75 mph with some city driving closer to base. It is all how you drive. I keep my rpms under 3k on average, but I still punch it every once in a while! ;-)

I am getting 24/25 mpg daily driving my car. I do 20/80 city/highway driving with it. Even when I am doing strictly stop and go driving I am getting no less than 22 mpg. I use the recommended shift points in the owners manual for normal driving unless I am playing of course. STi's get even worse mpg so I am pretty happy with what my car has been getting so far. I mean I didn't expect it to get much better than the EPA ratings anyhow.
    2011 Spark Silver Metallic WRX Limited - purchased 9/3/11
    2004 SRT-4 FP Green, Diablosport, 344whp/375wtq 93 oct. | Sold

I track my mileage on Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG I also use a app on my phone I average 21.9mpg-Mostly all city driving...so meh Im not disappointed by it.
    STINK-EYE MOB #85

If some are getting the kind of numbers just mentioned, then there is a huge disparity in ECU mapping, IMO. I'd be lucky to get 24mpg at 75mph with almost no city driving. Hell, I've been losing 0.3 mpg on average every day just between letting the car warm up for 40 seconds to a minute and getting 1/4 mile up the road and that's after getting almost 31mpg on the tank for the first 100 miles. I ended up getting 24 miles for the entire tank at the pump today on the computer and 23.3 by dividing it out (I've noticed the computer was dead-on accurate for the first few months and has been steadily getting worse as time goes on and not for the better).

I doubt my new "low rolling resistance" tires will help much given how much gas I lose just idling and accelerating. I'm thinking a tune would probably help more than anything. I think the car is running too rich gauging by the comparative numbers in this thread where some are clearly getting 2-4mpg more on average in similar conditions.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Quote Originally Posted by jamir22 View Post
    19-20 mpg, stock, says on the indicator, i do miss my '06 civic whenever i go to the gas station 34 mpg average..but once i get on the car then i forget all about it...haha!
    that's funny i went from a 08 Yaris to this as a commuter i was getting 38mpg. now this 23mpg's hurt the pocket book but the ride and pride of ownership is worth it.
    screw it we are stimulating the economy LOL.
    Last edited by sportsman; 10-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
    that's funny i went from a 08 Yaris to this as a commuter i was getting 38mpg. now this 23mpg's hurt the pocket book but the ride and pride of ownership is worth is.
    screw it we are stimulating the economy LOL.
    +1

Like Magnum said I have a red light curse so I sit at them constantly. Im doing 19.8 best tank so far at about 4800 miles

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    If some are getting the kind of numbers just mentioned, then there is a huge disparity in ECU mapping, IMO. I'd be lucky to get 24mpg at 75mph with almost no city driving. Hell, I've been losing 0.3 mpg on average every day just between letting the car warm up for 40 seconds to a minute and getting 1/4 mile up the road and that's after getting almost 31mpg on the tank for the first 100 miles. I ended up getting 24 miles for the entire tank at the pump today on the computer and 23.3 by dividing it out (I've noticed the computer was dead-on accurate for the first few months and has been steadily getting worse as time goes on and not for the better).

I doubt my new "low rolling resistance" tires will help much given how much gas I lose just idling and accelerating. I'm thinking a tune would probably help more than anything. I think the car is running too rich gauging by the comparative numbers in this thread where some are clearly getting 2-4mpg more on average in similar conditions.
    I am another that mostly drives in the city. Red lights, and (some) traffic usually lends ~20MPG. I have noticed that my winter tires yield less due to their higher rolling resistance. Last winter I was averaging ~19MPG. I'd wager that a lower rolling resistance tire could actually yield you another 1-2MPG...
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me