Why the WRX?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So this has been bugging me for quite a while.I have been a Subaru fan for years now although I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Why the WRX?

So this has been bugging me for quite a while.I have been a Subaru fan for years now although I have never owned one,followed the team in WRC and so on.I just recently booked a new 2011 and I was talking to a some friends about it.They were quite amazed to hear about this amazing "Korean" car.No one had any idea that such a car existed.These are guys that drive BMWs & Mercedess.I explained all the virtues of the WRX but nobody was imprezed ,pun intended.They keep telling me that its a waste of $.Go get a Mercedes they say,blah,blah,blah.It has more class.What will you do when it snows they say!
    Is Subaru's PR that bad?Dont get me wrong ,the Germans make great cars,but I see a Mercedes & I know what to expect.Maybe its better that the WRX is so inconspicuous.Compare it to a concealed loaded gun,nobody can see it but u can use it when u need it ,its ur secret.

Are people who drive WRXs devoid of class or is it that they are more sensible and less flashy.Has anybody had similar experiences?And why do you drive a WRX?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    So this has been bugging me for quite a while.I have been a Subaru fan for years now although I have never owned one,followed the team in WRC and so on.I just recently booked a new 2011 and I was talking to a some friends about it.They were quite amazed to hear about this amazing "Korean" car.No one had any idea that such a car existed.These are guys that drive BMWs & Mercedess.I explained all the virtues of the WRX but nobody was imprezed ,pun intended.They keep telling me that its a waste of $.Go get a Mercedes they say,blah,blah,blah.It has more class.What will you do when it snows they say!
    Is Subaru's PR that bad?Dont get me wrong ,the Germans make great cars,but I see a Mercedes & I know what to expect.Maybe its better that the WRX is so inconspicuous.Compare it to a concealed loaded gun,nobody can see it but u can use it when u need it ,its ur secret.

Are people who drive WRXs devoid of class or is it that they are more sensible and less flashy.Has anybody had similar experiences?And why do you drive a WRX?
    Once upon a time (2002) I was on a mission to find the "perfectly well-rounded car." This car had to be decent in all of the following departments:
    1. Handling
    2. Acceleration
    3. Versatility (this is the DD factor, 4 doors, 5 passengers, cargo volume)
    4. Fuel economy (keep in mind, back in 2002 25 mpg highway was excellent)
    5. Navigation in inclement conditions; snow, gravel, dirt, etc.
    6. Reliability

Only one car finished with the most points in all the departments: the Subaru WRX, which was new at the time to the US market. I fell in love with the Scooby at that moment.

I would absolutely love to own a mid-1980's diesel Merc; these are some of the greatest cars ever built IMO. However, you couldn't pay me enough to drive a modern Merc. You pay entirely for the name. The reliability is terrible and the maintenance costs are outrageous. Personally, I think the interior of my friend's Hyundai Genesis surpasses the quality of the interior in my friend's Merc C300. Granted, both interiors are worlds above the WRX interior, but you don't buy the WRX if you want civility. Cheap performance is the name of the game and Subaru plays it quite well. I prefer the untamed beast to gentlemen's luxury, but I can understand why you'd prefer the latter.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Once upon a time (2002) I was on a mission to find the "perfectly well-rounded car." This car had to be decent in all of the following departments:
    1. Handling
    2. Acceleration
    3. Versatility (this is the DD factor, 4 doors, 5 passengers, cargo volume)
    4. Fuel economy (keep in mind, back in 2002 25 mpg highway was excellent)
    5. Navigation in inclement conditions; snow, gravel, dirt, etc.
    6. Reliability

Only one car finished with the most points in all the departments: the Subaru WRX, which was new at the time to the US market. I fell in love with the Scooby at that moment.

I would absolutely love to own a mid-1980's diesel Merc; these are some of the greatest cars ever built IMO. However, you couldn't pay me enough to drive a modern Merc. You pay entirely for the name. The reliability is terrible and the maintenance costs are outrageous. Personally, I think the interior of my friend's Hyundai Genesis surpasses the quality of the interior in my friend's Merc C300. Granted, both interiors are worlds above the WRX interior, but you don't buy the WRX if you want civility. Cheap performance is the name of the game and Subaru plays it quite well. I prefer the untamed beast to gentlemen's luxury, but I can understand why you'd prefer the latter.
    true about the servicing part,my brother just paid $900 to fix the 6 cd changer on his CLK 320 and each service costs around $400 if they don't find anything wrong.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Registered User SixDaysToSunday's Avatar
    true about the servicing part,my brother just paid $900 to fix the 6 cd changer on his CLK 320 and each service costs around $400 if they don't find anything wrong.
    Thats ridiculous.
    2010 WRX: "Archer"
    #2127 of the Stinkeye Mob
    Honorary Member of the Hawkeye Alliance
    Give it up for the boys in Blue, USAF; 3H071
    Jack T, also known as BOOSTPUNK on Buffaloscooby

I Support ClubWRX
    I bought my WRX and STi because they are great cars for the money. I found them to be a great balance of the things I find appealing.

Absolutely nothing against other manufactures.

Speaking of ridiculous though, I dropped about 900 on a new 6 disc DVD thing for my wife's family truckster (Pacifica)... Twice.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Registered User SixDaysToSunday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I bought my WRX and STi because they are great cars for the money. I found them to be a great balance of the things I find appealing.

Absolutely nothing against other manufactures.

Speaking of ridiculous though, I dropped about 900 on a new 6 disc DVD thing for my wife's family truckster (Pacifica)... Twice.
    ^ That is indeed crazy, $1,800 in total for CD's? My god..

I'm choosing a Scoobie for the aforementioned points. I want a car with some muscle that looks great, drives well in the arctic (Western Upstate NY) and has a great following along with it.

I've driven a BMW for five years now and I cannot say much in terms of satisfaction with the company. Yes I have had a wonderful time driving it but the repair costs are terrible. Not to mention working with the local dealer has been an absolute nightmare, and kicking on the fact that BMW bought back a Lemon car from an owner and instead of parting or fixing the car, auctioned it off to a used lot where I unfortunately purchased it.

I think very highly of German engineering but you know what? It just isn't for me.
    2010 WRX: "Archer"
    #2127 of the Stinkeye Mob
    Honorary Member of the Hawkeye Alliance
    Give it up for the boys in Blue, USAF; 3H071
    Jack T, also known as BOOSTPUNK on Buffaloscooby

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When I first got my WRX there was an issue of the free suby mag. that they laid out who the target was - I was frightened at how well they had profiled me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    When I first got my WRX there was an issue of the free suby mag. that they laid out who the target was - I was frightened at how well they had profiled me.
    they sure did
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails myco_subaru.jpg  
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Wait, am I the mushroom or the little girl
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I read somewhere that the target consumer of the WRX was the 30ish male recently married without children.It was frightening how close their profiling was.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX

It depends entirely on the individual. I am a car guy. Its my passion, profession, I take car buying very seriously. It took me 2 months of test drives and research to buy my subi, and I am glad I did.

The WRX is all about the driving experience and is more of a purists car. Consider it a baby or cheap Porsche with a little utility. You get great feedback from the car, good handling, AWD, a peppy motor, decent price point, enough creature features to satisfy you, and when you stomp on the go pedal its enough to make you smile.

I have driven $130k BMW's, Mercedes, you name it I have probably driven it. Mercedes are great comfy cars. To me anything shy of the AMG feels a bit like driving a couch. They feel big and bulky and numb, but comfy. But the cost of ownership is high, I'm taking $90-$140 oil changes. (The dealers charge you buy the pint of oil.) Yes they have more class.

That being said given the $75k for a proper Merc, I wouldn't buy one. I'd have the GTR instead. Or a Porsche 996T for $49k and the wife a new su/xu/cu/V.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

In New England there is no lack of advertisements for Subaru and practically every other family owns at least one it seems. Our weather kind of sells the car itself though.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Reason: My WRX wagon is a Swiss Army knife.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    In New England there is no lack of advertisements for Subaru and practically every other family owns at least one it seems. Our weather kind of sells the car itself though.
    I completely agree.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

Here's my simple list of why the WRX:

-$$$ Affordable for almost anybody(upfront, maintenance, etc.)
    -Above "average" specs in all aspects mechanically(handling, reliability, etc.)
    -Fun
    -Can do anything you want it to(besides scale boulders or fly )
    -Can be driven year round in all weather conditions(safety)
    -Customizable for any preference(street, rally, autox, drag, show, drift, etc.)
    -4 & 5 Door(accessibility)
    -Aesthetically pleasing to most
    -Simple to fix(most the time) and easy to find help for all questions....."did you read the sticky?"

Now this is just a list of stuff from my opinion

Of course if you have the money to pay for cars that are $75k+ then all the power to you

but again, IMO i'd rather spend $20k-$30k on an outstanding WRX and that leaves me $50k for spending on something like........making my WRX what i want it, and a house down payment, or a boat, or a street bike......basically, there's a lot you can do with $50k haha

So these are my reasons and again, all the power in the world to those of you that can cut the big checks
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast