Why the WRX? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why the WRX? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SixDaysToSunday ^ That is indeed crazy,

,800 in total for CD's? My god.. Just to clarify, I'm ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SixDaysToSunday View Post
    ^ That is indeed crazy, $1,800 in total for CD's? My god..
    Just to clarify, I'm not talking about a 6 "CD" player but a 6 "DVD" player. They are quite different. That said yes it is a bit crazy even if it was over the course of several years. However, when you have kids sometimes you do crazy things for them.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    However, when you have kids sometimes you do crazy things for them.
    +1

$1800 for quiet kids on long trips? Money well spent.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I think that Subaru targets a totally different customer then does BMW and Benz. I put a lot of money/time into my Z28 including swapping a 383 in, all suspension, etc and compared to what I plan to put into the new STI when I get it, the overall cost pales in comparison to get the cars to run side by side. Most of the time people that get a Benz and BMW are more concerned about the image they project just by having those cars, for those that are less concerned about the wanna be yuppie image the WRX/STI's are the perfect fit. As much as I loved my Camaro pound for pound the money I put into it, if I put that same amount into an STI i would have a car in the mid 10s instead of the mid 11s. They look good and IMO sound better then the new BMWs, plus you cant get any good Benz in a manual. They are easier to work on, easier to modify, cheaper parts, AWD, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    I havent seen a single ad for the wrx either on TV or in print media.The only ads are on their website and on youtube.I guess Subaru likes to keep a low profile.then again it feels nice to own something exclusive.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I havent seen a single ad for the wrx either on TV or in print media.The only ads are on their website and on youtube.I guess Subaru likes to keep a low profile.then again it feels nice to own something exclusive.
    I like having something nobody else has. Since ordering my 2011, I've only seen one 08 or later Impreza (it was a WRX, not sure what year because it was headed the opposite direction on PCH and the pre-11's look basically identical).

With all of the Mercedes' and Porches and BMW's around here it's impossible to stand out in any German or Italian car. None of these rich fools would even walk onto a Subaru dealership.

I can't wait for the first time I'm at a stoplight next to some douchebag in a Boxster.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I live in North Dakota...not too different from upstate NY or other regions plagued by extended winter weather and poor driving conditions. I've been looking at Subaru's line-up for years, and keeping an eye on the WRX/STi. I finally pulled the trigger this year, just shy of my 60th birthday. (So I must not fit the profile?) I chose the WRX rather than STi because I just couldn't justify the cost for my level of driving and enjoyment.

My major reasons (in no particular order):
    1. Hatchback---very versatile
    2. AWD---a must in winter weather in ND
    3. Sub-5 seconds 0-60 for sub-$30,000 price tag.
    4. Incredible resale value in my home town. (Not only does Subaru have a great reputation for quality, we've also go a very good dealer.)
    5. Cost of ownership is reasonable for a sports car...my insurance went up $40/year over the Honda I had...and 25-27 hwy mpg is reasonable, if not spectacular.
    6. Extensive catalog of aftermarket parts that actually can improve performance.
    7. Amazing versatility in configuring this platform for a variety of motoring activities.
    8. Love the sound of the boxer engine.
    9. It has a standard transmission...do you realize how hard it is anymore to find a car with a manual? We Americans have grown fat, lazy, and fearful! I have friends who are AFRAID of even trying to learn to drive a manual transmission. Sheeeeeesh.
    10. My lovely wife loved it from the first minute of the test drive and bugged me until I went back to the dealer and brought it home. LOL

I thought a lot about the STi...but many of the differences were just not important to me. For example...certain "enthusiasts" decry the 5-speed of the WRX, saying that compared to the STI it "clunks" and "thumps" and isn't as strongly built. There must be some basis in fact for this claim, but I've not noticed any unusual noises, and I'm not likely to ever push the car hard enough to find the mechanical limits of the tranny.

The bigger brakes of the STI...well, everyone likes big brakes, but the WRX, again, is well-enough endowed in this area that spirited highway driving will not test the limits. If I suddenly got into AutoX, racing, etc., maybe I'll regret it?

So...that's a rather lengthy summary of the reasons I bought a WRX.

hunter20ga

P.S. Can you see me smiling!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElVerde View Post
    I can't wait for the first time I'm at a stoplight next to some douchebag in a Boxster.
    It'll be good to teach that dude that his notions of Boxster straightline dominance were in error.

For the record, I'd take a new Boxster Spyder over anything Subaru's ever built, and any car mentioned in this thread....but then I'm silly that way. [blushes]
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

For me, My '08 WRX is everything. I have always loved the idea of off roading, street racing, etc. And the only cars that were under this category were the Evo and the Imprezas, but for some reason, Subaru wooed me more than the other. I live in PR and I am soooo tired of BMW, Mercedes, Acuras and everywhere I look its one Lancer after the other. Even though the WRX or STI has a $10,000 premium because of the ****ing gov. it is was well worth the money. And given a choice again, I would pick the WRX again. Amazing car that it is, it almost cost me my Fiance, but it was also worth it too. God I love that car...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 09-02-2010 at 11:27 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    mcruzader: Please don't dodge the swear filter to use the f-word. We try to maintain a work-safe environment here for our user base.

Thanks!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It'll be good to teach that dude that his notions of Boxster straightline dominance were in error.

For the record, I'd take a new Boxster Spyder over anything Subaru's ever built, and any car mentioned in this thread....but then I'm silly that way. [blushes]
    Really?? Don't get me wrong, I love Porsche vehicles and they're in a class of their own as far as handling goes. I've always found the Boxster to be kind of an ugly duckling that screams "I CAN'T AFFORD A 911."

I would take a 911 over just about any car though, assuming I had something else for utility.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    Really?? Don't get me wrong, I love Porsche vehicles and they're in a class of their own as far as handling goes. I've always found the Boxster to be kind of an ugly duckling that screams "I CAN'T AFFORD A 911."
    Well, the truth is that I can't afford a new 911..well, at least not and be a responsible provider for a family. What I could afford would be a used Boxster..girly stigma aside, they're a lot of sportscar for what they now go for.

I'm in it for the driving experience. What others think is just a pile of ego and confusion bouncing around in their heads.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by STI011 View Post
    I think that Subaru targets a totally different customer then does BMW and Benz.
    Completely agree and I didn't really realize it until I car shopped this summer. I like BMW's, always have and I thought I wanted a used BMW. However, when I finally did test drive one (335i) I liked it but I also realized that it wasn't the car for me. Maybe down the line when I'm older but for right now it really didn't click. Deep down I knew I was going to end up getting another WRX again but I confirmed my feelings by driving everything else I thought I would want!

With all of the Mercedes' and Porches and BMW's around here it's impossible to stand out in any German or Italian car.
    Hard to stand out in a German car but unless there are an unusually high number of Ferrari, Alfa, Lancia and Fiats in your area, I think you'd stand out in one of those.

And yes, I secretly or not so secretly wish I could get an Alfa over here. Maybe by the time I get my next car they will have their network established. My dad had an Alfa Romeo GTV6 when I was a kid and I loved that car so much. Then my sister totalled it before I got old enough to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Ahh, I see a lot of Forester, Outback and general Subaru commercials but you are right. The STi and WRX are not often advertised. I like to think it is because Subaru realizes that their audience that drives those cars aren't at home watching TV but out living life with the throttle buried in the carpet.
    '99 Impreza 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl - Retired
    '02 Sedona Red WRX - Retired
    '11 DGM WRX Hatch w/ SPT exhaust, short throw and STi shift knob Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter20ga View Post
    For example...certain "enthusiasts" decry the 5-speed of the WRX, saying that compared to the STI it "clunks" and "thumps" and isn't as strongly built. There must be some basis in fact for this claim, but I've not noticed any unusual noises, and I'm not likely to ever push the car hard enough to find the mechanical limits of the tranny.
    Oh this is not just a "claim," it is hard fact. There are not enough data yet on the GE chassis, but transmission failure is one of the most prevalent issues with GD WRXs. All it takes is one hard launch to destroy the transmission.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

For the record, I'd take a new Boxster Spyder over anything Subaru's ever built, and any car mentioned in this thread....but then I'm silly that way. [blushes]]
    The new Boxster Spyder is an amazing car Ray. You'd be silly if you didn't take it over anything Subaru.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Syncharmony View Post
    Hard to stand out in a German car but unless there are an unusually high number of Ferrari, Alfa, Lancia and Fiats in your area, I think you'd stand out in one of those.

And yes, I secretly or not so secretly wish I could get an Alfa over here. Maybe by the time I get my next car they will have their network established. My dad had an Alfa Romeo GTV6 when I was a kid and I loved that car so much. Then my sister totalled it before I got old enough to drive it.
    Well that's just the issue...there are an INSANE amount of Ferraris and Lambos around here.

Good point on the Alfas, Lancias, and Fiats though

My main point was that people around here are SO high-dollar that no matter how rich or how expensive of a car you can buy, there is always someone else who has one (or 12).

Not 6 months ago a guy pulled up in a Veyron outside my office. There are 4 different 599s that come through my center on a weekly basis. Gallardos and F430s are more common than that. By no means am I claiming the WRX is a better car than these (c'mon), but just the fact that I see so many "expensive" cars around here has turned me off of them.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast