bugeye sti
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on bugeye sti within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm about to get an 02 sedan and I was talking to my friend (03 wagon) about how cool it ...

bugeye sti

I'm about to get an 02 sedan and I was talking to my friend (03 wagon) about how cool it would be to do a swap someday. we were both planning on doing tranny swaps but he got me thinking about doing the motor and ecu too. (obviously this isn't cost effective, just a cool project IMO)

and it made me wonder why didnt they bring the bugeye sti's to the states?! how cool that would be. think of how cheap an 02 sti would be now in 2010. easily the best car you could get for the money, a ridiculous/relatively cheap platform to start a build.

oh how I dream.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cmaj7th View Post
    I'm about to get an 02 sedan and I was talking to my friend (03 wagon) about how cool it would be to do a swap someday. we were both planning on doing tranny swaps but he got me thinking about doing the motor and ecu too. (obviously this isn't cost effective, just a cool project IMO)

and it made me wonder why didnt they bring the bugeye sti's to the states?! how cool that would be. think of how cheap an 02 sti would be now in 2010. easily the best car you could get for the money, a ridiculous/relatively cheap platform to start a build.

oh how I dream.
    That just means how much cooler of a build you could do with building your own bugeye STI...or even a bugeye wagon STI...sourcing an 04/05 driveline is getting ever easier and price is going down. as long as you do up some legit suspension and even do some interior swapping, and you are going down the right path
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's still pretty expensive though. I just bought a 04 driveline. I wish I would have decided that was gonna be part of my build earlier so I could have bought the 05+ suspension so I could have also done the 5x114 hub swap. But I had already bought my wheels and suspension. Live and learn though. At least there is the route out there that enabled me to keep my already purchased suspension and wheels.

The easiest way to do it that I found, this is also what I did.

Transmission w/linkage
    R180
    STI Driveshaft
    Rear STI axles
    Rear knuckles/hubs for an 04

That's pretty much the minimum needed. You can reuse your front axles so you don't have to upgrade your front knuckle/hub assembly.

If you get anything 05 or above you pretty much HAVE to go with the 5x114 setup becuase of the inverted strut design on the newer STIs.

So you could have a pretty bad ass build if you have the money to do it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

drews your build sounds awesome do you have any pics? and if I end up doing a swap down the line I reckon I'll keep the exterior and interior stock. I have a thing for sleepers

I Support ClubWRX
    We've had several members in the past perform DIY bugeye STi conversions. Not cheap, not time effective, at least not yet. Fun stuff though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    drews your build sounds awesome do you have any pics? and if I end up doing a swap down the line I reckon I'll keep the exterior and interior stock. I have a thing for sleepers
    No pictures yet. I've just got a stock pile of parts. I'm in Afghanistan right now but keep an eye out cause I'll put up pictures around the end of July or the beginning of August. When I get done everyone will know.

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Drews, SD:
    Maybe you guys can shed a little insight. It's difficult to find any information on whether an STi bugeye was ever manufactured, or whether Subaru skipped the body style entirely. I know the STi has been in production since 1994, but wether or not the bugeye body style was ever used in the EDM or JDM STi is questionable...
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure they were produced as a bugeye model...but I'd have to look into it. That's a good question.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Drews, SD:
    Maybe you guys can shed a little insight. It's difficult to find any information on whether an STi bugeye was ever manufactured, or whether Subaru skipped the body style entirely. I know the STi has been in production since 1994, but wether or not the bugeye body style was ever used in the EDM or JDM STi is questionable...
    Yes, in various guises. In fact, I think even European markets with LHD requirements (CY, UK, etc.) got a true European version rather than relying on Jap. imports, be they grey or otherwise.

Southern Europe got a 265 HP version, and depending on dealers there were 280 HP and 300 HP versions. I don't know what was "official" as I don't understand how to define "official," since by definition a dealer is the representative of the maker for that country, and each dealer did what they wanted.

During that era the STi did not compete for the WRC, at least not at the GrA or WRC car level. Why? Because even though the bugeye cars that were fielded by the works team had "STi" stickers on them, the chassis codes apparently corresponded to WRX cars. Now, since these cars were bare chassis that were shipped from JP to UK and built there, the chassis codes makes little or no difference. Again, whether this makes any difference at all is up to you -- I didn't care then and don't now, but mention it as an oddity. Adding to the oddity, the GrN cars apparently did use STi chassis codes. This stands to reason, as I don't think there were any works GrN cars -- or if they were, they were not alone (there were GrN cars built all over the world -- granted, they all either did or should have relied on the same specific set of homologated parts).

I don't own any ex-works cars, so this is all hearsay.

Anyway, your short answer is "yes."
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-12-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    thanks guys. Cmaj7th, sorry to jack your thread.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

no problem I was wondering this myself about a week ago. theres a fith gear segment on youtube of a bugey sti vs one of the old evos. it's really cool yall should check it out.

I'll warn you real quick though they just look for things to complain about it's obnoxious. two awesome cars and they spend most of the time ragging on them. also Im not fond of how brits say impreza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Xyl4YHaMU

heres the video of the 02 sti being compared to the old evo. also drews if you're in the service heres a big thanks from maryland! come home safe bud

zax
    no problem I was wondering this myself about a week ago. theres a fith gear segment on youtube of a bugey sti vs one of the old evos. it's really cool yall should check it out.

I'll warn you real quick though they just look for things to complain about it's obnoxious. two awesome cars and they spend most of the time ragging on them. also Im not fond of how brits say impreza
    Try as I might, I just can't seem to enjoy watching fifth gear. Partly because I love Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson always rags on Fifth Gear... but mostly because they seem to complain about EVERYTHING lol.

Where are you at in Maryland? If you ever decide to do a swap, hit me up, I'll give you a hand.

Facebook me here

thanks bud and I'm in columbia. they do complain about everything which is obnoxious. plus I just cant stand hearing people call them "impreTzahs" over and over

zax
    impretzah turboh
    (wrx)

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast