That was close.... Up-Pipe cat coming apart..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on That was close.... Up-Pipe cat coming apart.. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since my mech hosed my timing belt change, and the resulting damage means that everything else is free labor at ...

That was close.... Up-Pipe cat coming apart..

Since my mech hosed my timing belt change, and the resulting damage means that everything else is free labor at this point, I decided to go ahead and throw a new up-pipe on it in the process to eliminate the possibility of the stock up-pipe cat coming apart. I delivered the pipe last week, but since the heads were still out getting the new valves installed, he did not get around to doing it until today. When he called and told me I needed to come down and take a look, I knew there might be issues.....

The cat was already coming apart.

This is what was stuck to the turbo inlet from the up-pipe.. This is the first time I have ever seen catalyst melted and fused like this.

After I got the above pictured piece removed, you could see a ridge of material also in the section towards the waste gate.

This shows the bigger pieces of catalyst that I pulled out. These were all damn near welded to the turbo housing and not rattling around.... I pulled an amazing amount of material out of the housing that came out in pieces and dust.

The vanes suffered a very slight bit of damage, but after spending an hour or so with dental pics and getting every bit of catalyst out of the housing, everything turns free and it appears that I just barely avoided losing the turbo as a result.

My car is a 2003 WRX with 114K miles on it, and was stock mechanically. I only decided to do the pipe as a preventative maintenance measure, and I am damn glad I did! We would never have found this otherwise!

When they recommend to change the up-pipe, there is a very good reason! Just do it!
    Last edited by meanstrk; 03-24-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You dodged a bullet. 114k miles is pretty good on a stock turbo. Since it is off you might want to just find a cheap stocker for sale and throw it on. A lot of people have their stock turbos sitting around in the garage because they upgraded. Might save you a little headache in the near future.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Still debating about doing exactly that......
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

That's crazy!

As mentioned above, you should be able to find a stock TD04 for around $100
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

I'm at 116K and about to do the same thing....you have got me pretty worried right now! Perhaps I should step up the schedule on this.
    "Good design is a lot like clear thinking made visual." - Edward Tufte

Bugeye Mafia #314

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    I'm only at 89k, and just got a catless uppipe put on this past weekend. Looking at this, I'm damn glad I did....
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

hmm, i was gonna do up pipe this summer... but maybe i'll do it a little bit sooner then that.
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

Registered User JoseCorpseGrind's Avatar
    Damn, now I know what's on my to do list this summer.

Where can I find a decent good up pipe for a reasonable price?

I Support ClubWRX
    I added a link to this in my thread.

Personally, I'd buy another turbo. They're cheap enough that just for "peace of mind" I'd be happier using one that didn't go through that ordeal.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I added a link to this in my thread.

Personally, I'd buy another turbo. They're cheap enough that just for "peace of mind" I'd be happier using one that didn't go through that ordeal.
    I was looking at them last night. Problem is I just went to see my tax company yesterday and I am getting ready to write a couple checks for about $6K which puts a hurt on my accounts.

Looks like you can get a turbo upgrade for around $300 though. It's damn sure as hell tempting, but at this point I am going with what we have and then take a look at upgrading when I do the down pipe and exhaust. I will get a tune while I am at it then.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseCorpseGrind View Post
    Damn, now I know what's on my to do list this summer.

Where can I find a decent good up pipe for a reasonable price?
    This is the one I bought RallySportDirect.com - Greddy Subaru Up-Pipe with out EGT Bung
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I'll probably finish removing the cat from my stock pipe and sell it if anyone is interested. That or just reinstall that one and sell the up-pipe I bought.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk
    I'll probably finish removing the cat from my stock pipe and sell it if anyone is interested. That or just reinstall that one and sell the up-pipe I bought.
    Don't bother gutting it if you want to sell it; you won't get any real extra money doing the work (and it's a minor PITA to do anyway) - catted and gutted OEM uppipes sell for about the same.

Gut it if you want to reuse it, but otherwise, sell it as-is
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered User JoseCorpseGrind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    How much did you pay for your up pipe?
    2003 wrx

"Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less. "

Bout $75 bucks.....
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.