wow. snow and 09 dunlop sport rubber suck
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on wow. snow and 09 dunlop sport rubber suck within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; well, its snowing like crazy here in NC and i just took the WRX out on the stock dunlop sp01 ...

wow. snow and 09 dunlop sport rubber suck

well, its snowing like crazy here in NC and i just took the WRX out on the stock dunlop sp01 sport rubber. I new it would be bad but it was way worse than what i expected. They are like ice skates. No traction what so ever.

i just hope blizzaks really make a difference.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They will. I'd much rather deal with FWD or RWD and snows than AWD with summers in the snow.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

OEM tires are awful by default, the first thing I do with a new vehicle is get decent tires.

Winter specific tires will make a world of difference. I'm currently running Michilen Pilot Sport AS Plus tires, and have been pleased with them during the cold, snowy western Canadian winter, and they're good enough for me in summer as well.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is quite a nice snow.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

You'll love them, the winter tires really allow you to bring out the best in your AWD WRX.

You'll run circles around everybody else, the downside is you'll be frustrated by everybody else on the road w/o them.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    i just hope blizzaks really make a difference.
    You will be amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It is quite a nice snow.
    I can't wait until I get it.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    You will be amazed.

I can't wait until I get it.
    Yeah it's headed our way!!! I'm in South Jersey and i'm sitting here biting my nails waiting for it Haha

Quote Originally Posted by 08SubieWrx View Post
    Yeah it's headed our way!!! I'm in South Jersey and i'm sitting here biting my nails waiting for it Haha
    I know. I'm in emergency prep mode as well, so I'm going to have some of the good scotch before I go shopping with teh wife.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I know. I'm in emergency prep mode as well, so I'm going to have some of the good scotch before I go shopping with teh wife.
    We got an honest 1.5' - how did you fare?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

It's just getting worse here in DE. But no problems, the Blizzaks are actually performing a bit better than my Tacoma 4x4 with all-terrain tires. And I have great tires on the truck (General AT2).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Yea, I had a tacoma 4x4 before my WRX w/ some BFG A/T KO tires.

The winter tires on my WRX just perform that much better. 1st the AT tires don't have the siping winter tires have, and 2nd, they're not made of a softer winter rubber compound.

The worst part was my tacoma didn't have ABS or any other traction control. With 4x4 I could accelerate fast, but couldn't stop fast. lol manually pumping the breaks sucks and if you locked up it would just slide sideways or wherever the ruts in the road went.

The WRX is 1000% more capable w/ winter tires than my 4x4 tacoma was. Unless it was a deep snowy mountain dirt road lol.

^ bingo. The winters are softer and have sipes.

What is that ECT button for? It's been so long since I used it, I've forgotten. Of course the Tacoma was in high 4. In low 4 with the rear diff lock, it's a beast.

My favorite episode of Top Gear is the one where they try (and fail) to destroy a Toyota pickup.

My wife drives it now, but with just 120,000 miles, it's practically just getting broken in for these trucks
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Mine didn't have an ECT button as mine was a 5-speed manual. I believe it was just for higher automatic shift points for towing/uphill/downhill etc.

I had modified my rear dif lock to work in 2x, 4x high, and 4x low. It's only for off-roading. On icy/snowy/rainy roads it will cause the rear to break traction, spin, and crash in a fiery wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    Mine didn't have an ECT button as mine was a 5-speed manual. I believe it was just for higher automatic shift points for towing/uphill/downhill etc.

I had modified my rear dif lock to work in 2x, 4x high, and 4x low. It's only for off-roading. On icy/snowy/rainy roads it will cause the rear to break traction, spin, and crash in a fiery wreck.
    I used to have a Tacoma, loved it. Have a 4runner now, but it's essentially stock since it's the family ride. Would love to find a 80-83 Toyota truck and swap in a diesel, build it up as a nice trail rig. Or an old LC FJ45 would be nice too...

That Ford Exploder behind us had NEVER been offroad before, he got airborne

...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post

That's good to know....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.