Subaru WRX Forum banner

Dashboard Rattling Noise

35K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  vascorama 
#1 ·
2010 WRX - Is anyone else getting a rattling noise that appears to be coming from the drivers side dashboard? I will be bringing it in for a check up shortly, just wanted to know if this is happening to anyone else and if so was it fixed by the dealer?

#31 ·
For what it's worth my 2004 WRX sedan bought new has no rattle or squeak I can detect. This is with adjustable dampers and spring rates on the higher side: 290 front, 270 rear.

#32 ·
I totally agree. My car stickered for over 28k. It may not be a 40 or 50k BMW, but at that price point these kinds of fit and finish issues shouldn't be so prevalent. This is the kind of thing that should be tested during the R&D process. Subaru should be flogged for letting this flaw get through...

Do you think putting any foam in the small space between the windshield and the dashboard would get rid of some of the noise? Theory being that you plug that space so as to alleviate the "flex" that occurs over bumps, expansion joints and uneven pavement?

I don't think the dealer put any foam behind the A pillars themselves b/c of the curtain airbags that exist in that space. To my knowledge, all they did was use doublesided 3M adhesive to more fully secure the base area of each pillar. Like I said, this helped to some degree but not 100 percent. Are you at all concerned that placing foam behind the A pillar could compromise the function of the curtain airbags.

I'd love to have this fixed totally but I doubt that's gonna happen. Keep me posted on your fixes for the front dash area and whether they're successful.

#33 · (Edited)
the side curtain airbags come out of the headliner area.. there's nothing behind your A pillar trim ;)
EDIT: (corrrection!! see pics in post above)
putting foam between two surfaces that rub will always relieve the buzzing or clicking noise.. I just haven't had time to do it yet. The question is, how hard is it to get it in there and can it be seen? I dont like any "fixes" visible if I can help it. I think I'll tackle this one tomorrow.. that vin plate clicking over expansion joints is really starting to annoy me :screwy:

#36 ·
Rattle

Not sure how loud this rattle is supposed to be, my other car is a '92 so I may be desensitized to rattling noises and not notice it. I saw that the date on the service message was August 2009, does that mean cars produced after this date should have this fix in place at the factory?

#38 · (Edited)
Mysteriously, the rattling has disappeared with the warmer weather. The Dealer tightened the panels in the A frame which did nothing, thanks to mother nature, guess it'll be back come December.
Its from you pillar covers, tightening them wont do anything... Take them out its a 12mm bolt hiden under the ARS cover on the top of the cover... pull the cover off... On the the bottom of the cover you will see two protruding clips.. But some tape , 3m or electric tape over these clips.... Rienstall and blam your done...

#39 ·
I did pull my a pillars to see what was going on in there, did put some small 1/4" foam strips on the bottom where they contact the dash.. relieved about 90% of the noise. .. and mine has also gotten better with warmer temps. Apparently this plastic expands quite a bit when warm.. or contracts quite a bit when cold.. either way its getting quieter as the weather gets better :D I do have pics of behind the a pillar, but didn't get pics of where I put the foam.. once you pull them you'll be able to easily see where the a pillar trim and dash contact.. just put a small bit of foam in those spots and it will quiet right down. ;) The foam stuff is available at any autozone.

the airbag most certainly is behind that pillar. How it deploys though.. dunno, it could be directed more toward the rear.. I've never seen vid of them deploying and hopefully never see it in person. ;)

#40 ·
Mangostick,

Thanks for the pics -- so those pesky airbags are behind the A-pillars. . . so the dealer was right about that.

Stupid question, but how do you get the A-pillar trim off? Does it just snap in place? Is it a pain to get back on? Also any chance you can get pics of where you put the foam so I can see it?

I may do this as well, but also have a feeling that things will quiet down as the car's interior temp. breaks 55 degrees or so and in the summer I don't think I'll hear it at all (which is why I didn't hear anything when I bought the car last July)

#41 ·
Check Poohbear's post below, its pretty straight forward about how to get em off, behind the srs badge there is a bolt, once thats out gently pull the pillar away. There's one clip holding it on and tabs where it slip fits into the dash at the bottom. Once you get the bolt out and give it a yank you'll get the Idea.

#42 ·
2011 WRX STI with same noise

I just bought a 2011 WRX STI at the end of December of 2010, after the first 3 weeks I started hearing the same noise. Three (3) months later its still there. Like others said, I usually hear it in the morning since it has been cold and it goes away by mid day. Definitely an annoying tapping sound.

I already went to the dealer to try to get it fixed, but all they did was add foam to the drivers side dashboard. That solution still did not help. Anyone have any other ideas?

#44 ·
Sad to say this is happening on my 2013 Limited. I didn't hear anything until it got colder, now I hear a really loud "clicking, ticking, almost cracking plastic" sound in the morning when going over rough patches on the road.

It goes away as the car warms up, but I still hear occasional muffled ticks from the driver and passenger side dash area - and it's REALLY annoying to hear this on a brand new ****ing car.

I'm going to have the dealer try to fix it, but from reading this thread, doesn't sound promising.

#47 ·
Thread digging this, my 2002 wrx makes a terrible sound that´s driving me absolute nuts. I removed basically everything but the steering wheel(pillar cover, the plastic that goes from 1 side to the other near the windshiled, instruments, lower big plastic cover, the one bellow the steering wheel).
Went for a ride with all that stuff off, still makes the clicking noise! I can describe the sound like a plastic plug loose hitting some hard plastic.
I can´t see anything loose, and the noise seems to come from the exact bottom corner where the dash meets the windshield.
Please, tell me this is something you know what it is...or i´ll have to start thinking of removing the entire dash! :confused:

#48 · (Edited)
Thread digging this, my 2002 wrx makes a terrible sound that´s driving me absolute nuts. I removed basically everything but the steering wheel(pillar cover, the plastic that goes from 1 side to the other near the windshiled, instruments, lower big plastic cover, the one bellow the steering wheel).
Went for a ride with all that stuff off, still makes the clicking noise on small road holes(not all holes, only small repeated holes)! I can describe the sound like a plastic plug loose hitting some hard plastic.
I can´t see anything loose, and the noise seems to come from the exact bottom corner where the dash meets the windshield.
Please, tell me this is something you know what it is...or i´ll have to start thinking of removing the entire dash! :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.