Dashboard Rattling Noise - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dashboard Rattling Noise within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Did anyone try having the dealer fix the rattle yet? I have it too, and I'm probably going to go ...

Did anyone try having the dealer fix the rattle yet? I have it too, and I'm probably going to go in next week. Just wondering if they will try to get out of it somehow. I only have 2K on mine. I have trunk rattles too. Oh yea, the door side panels rattle too. Only negative with my car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just turn the music up. Anthrax will solve any rattle issue except in your head.

Dealer

Went to the dealer today. They tightened the brackets that hold the panel on the A frame.(i think that's what they said) anyways no more noise in the front now I have one in the back. I guess they cheaped out on the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbone View Post
    2010 WRX - Is anyone else getting a rattling noise that appears to be coming from the drivers side dashboard? I will be bringing it in for a check up shortly, just wanted to know if this is happening to anyone else and if so was it fixed by the dealer?
    Over the last two weeks my 2010 has popped up with this too.. only over expansion joints or where the road kinda shakes the car .. its like a "tang" kinda noise trailing the noise of the bump? Almost sounds to me like a license plate rattle (though its not my plate)

I've not brought mine to the dealer yet but have wandered around the inside of the car to see if I could locate the offending interior panel. What I found was that the hatch inside panel and pillar trim vibrate against the hatch itself. (if you tap it with your fingers quickly but not too hard you'll get it to vibrate with that buzzy "tang" noise) .. Tomorrow I'm going to grab some thin sticky backed foam weatherstripping and pop off that panel.. see if putting some sort of thin padding back there will help out.

I haven't noticed any noises from my dash, but I'll get in there and tighten those mounts. Thanks for reporting back!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

My parents had a '94ish (not too sure) Legacy that had a rattle that sounded like it came from the dashboard area. Never did figure out what it was...

No dash rattle, but I had to take the cargo area cover out of my car because it was making so much noise. Quality stuff

I took my 09 wrx in today to have them fix the front dash / windshield clicking and vibrating sound that occurs over bumps. I dropped it off at 8am with the TSB report found earlier in this thread. I was optimistic, called them at 3pm to check in and they said they were still working on it. At 5pm they called me and they told me to come in and pick it up. At 5:15pm I got there, and of course nobody was there from service to explain to me what they did. The cashier lady handed me my keys and said everything should be fine. At about 5:20 I drove out of the dealership and my dash starts rattling immediately.

I hoped for more, but it's what I expected from the dealership. This rattle is destroying my new car experience. Tards.

I had a rattle that did sound like plastic on plastic and awfully loud.I stuffed a small piece of cardboard underneath the VIN plate and the sound has been gone for over a year now. J/S

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
    No dash rattle, but I had to take the cargo area cover out of my car because it was making so much noise. Quality stuff

It creaks when you go over uneven surfaces? Lube the part that slides over the aluminum on the end (plastic) .. I put a dab of rc shock oil on there (35wt silicone oil) and spread it to a light layer all around the alum part where the plastic slides over it. Its been SILENT since.

as for the other rattles I think I'm just going to track them down myself.. I dont feel like leaving the car with the dealer for a whole day to do what I can in probably a half hour.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I just finished up with the exhaust the other week. '09 WRX, Perrin Downpipe, Mid and S Pipe, and Crawford Gymkana Exhaust. It's at stage 2 from Perrin, and the dash and something out back rattled before but now basically the whole interior shakes. It just feels raw now and I enjoy it. If the rattle is a pain, just turn your music up. Enjoy the Rumble!

With the outside temp dropping below freezing, I now have rattles all over the inside cabin of my car. It's coming from my dash, passenger pillar, trunk, and rear suspension. Every little bump I hear a rattle. Don't get me wrong, I love driving my car. The rattles just bug the heck out of me. New cars shouldn't have this problem. What gives???
    09 Satin White WRX
    89 Pearl White Supra Turbo
    Stink-Eye-Mob #609

i also rattle alot in my 09. It's been below 10F these past few days (Omaha NE) and its really bad when its that cold. Worst is any music bass also rattles my door. I have the bass set at -4 and it still does it.

But the the 0 - 60 MPH still works fine =).
    Last edited by wrx1234; 12-16-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: i can't spell....

Well I got motivated the other night and tackled the hatch and its panels.. I used foam weatherstrip that you can get at autozone.. works great for damping vibrations or fixing the fit of loose panels. Pics below. fyi, my hatch area is now SILENT .. though still have a "pang" noise in my dash area.. I'll track that one down too I think rather than put a new amp/sub in I may just spend for some dynamat and hit the doors n floor.

The panels will come off pretty easy once you get the pattern right.. on removal the top panel has to come off first, then the sides.. then the main hatch panel, installation is the reverse. Now, make sure they're warm.. they'll be less likely to break and leave you visiting your parts department. If you have a dark colored car you can kinda look around where the panels mount to find rub marks in the paint. I found a few and placed the foam accordingly. I found that putting a narrow piece of foam on each point where the panels snap into their fasteners helped how tight they fit and brought the tangy vibration noise down quite a bit.

In this shot I put a piece of leftover backing paper on the hatch to represent where I put foam pieces. I could have (and probably should have) used more foam around the top of the main panel.. but so far its quiet... so whats there is working.

When I get into the dash I'll post up some more pics
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Hey all- I took delivery of my car in July 09 and have been dealing with a dash rattle emanating from both A pillar areas as well as a rattle from the rear cargo cover over the trunk (4 door). I'm pissed b/c my 2003 never had any like issues. Anyway, first time I took it to the dealer I don't think they did anything cause the same issues persisted. Followed this up with a letter to Subaru and explained the situation.

In mid Dec. I brought the car back and a field rep worked on it with the dealer techs. Upon picking the car up and driving it the rear rattle seemed to be fixed and the front dash rattle was attenuated (though still present to some degree).

I'm not 100 percent satisfied, but I also don't want the service techs to get too invasive because I'll probably only end up with even more issues.

Also the other night I also heard what sounded like a ping or clang noise from the left side of the dash kinda by the VIN plate. Sounded like it was my license plate frame but the next day it miraculously went away. Any thoughts?

Does anyone who lives in a warm climate year round have these issues? Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but the fit and finish needs some work.

I'm not that much south of you.. but I've noticed that the noises get worse as it gets colder. I just spent xmas in upstate NY with family and the car was a complete rattle box except for where I'd already fixed the rattling panels. Tomorrow I'm going to pop off both A pillars and add more of that foam.. if you sternly tap them with your middle finger you can get them to make that "click/tang" noise Just like the rear panels do. As said I love the car but a new $27k car should NOT rattle.. period. I'm a little disappointed with the interior fit/finish. It was ok when it was warm out but now that its gotten cold and I have some mileage on it, its terrible.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.