Gas Mileage FAQ - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage FAQ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Donkey Not sure where you got 35 hwy for the SS. Lots of guys on the Cobalt ...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Not sure where you got 35 hwy for the SS.
    Lots of guys on the Cobalt SS forum have reported high numbers like 35 and above, at least during initial break in period when they're not punching the gas and going crazy into boost.

09 Cobalt SS turbo real world mpg - GM Inside News Forum

Heck, even the Corvette C5/C6 gets like 27mpg, and that's with a huge 6 or 7 litre engine. Must be the weight and the aerodynamics?
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 12-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As an engineer are they using US gallons or Imperial gallons overseas? or are you converting from liters?
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    As an engineer are they using US gallons or Imperial gallons overseas? or are you converting from liters?

I'm in Germany, and they use liters here on the economy. However, on my US forces base we have an American gas station which operates in gallons. But it's $3.07 here for mid-grade! I have no idea why it's so much for us, but cheaper in the states... Still, i'm happy to have an American station, because if I filled up on the economy it would cost me well, well over $100 to top off my car.

They don't even offer reg-grade gas anymore in Europe. Not that I would ever think of putting Reg into my WRX, but I was just surprised that they completely phased it out.

I don't think you quite understand how important those sensors are if they are indeed damaged or functioning improperly
    Well, I've definitely got a better idea now. I've done some more reading and I'm hoping that my mpg's will go up significantly once I replace both sensors. If they'd just get here...my only problem is waiting for them! Since I'm in Europe it takes forever for car parts to get over here.
    Wow, this car rocks.

I live on the autobahns of Germany

Ravens for life.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper06 View Post
    I'm in Germany, and they use liters here on the economy. However, on my US forces base we have an American gas station which operates in gallons. But it's $3.07 here for mid-grade! I have no idea why it's so much for us, but cheaper in the states...

...my only problem is waiting for them! Since I'm in Europe it takes forever for car parts to get over here.
    Come back to the US

Everything is more expensive in Germany. My friend in Berlin says he spends all his money on beer pretty much and wishes he was back in the States where you could get drunk for half the price

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Come back to the US

Everything is more expensive in Germany. My friend in Berlin says he spends all his money on beer pretty much and wishes he was back in the States where you could get drunk for half the price
    Haha I'm coming back next summer! And yeah, everything is a LOT more expensive. I could have ordered those O2 sensors from my nearby German Subaru dealer, but they would've cost me almost twice as much per sensor. So, I chose to stick it out and wait for one's to come from the states. The biggest problem is that if I do order parts, such as O2 sensors, they come via snail-mail. BUMMER! Here I am, 2 weeks later, still waiting on my sensors.

Your friend tells no lies, man. However, the beer is usually worth it. I think if you buy it in large quantities it's really not that much more expensive, if at all...I don't feel like working out all the math and liters to ounces, but I can go to a shop down the road a buy a 24-bottle (1/2 liters) case for about 12 euros. So...call it almost 18 bucks for 12 liters. I think there's something like 4 liters (ish) to a gallon, so figure you get 3 gallons of beer for 18 bucks. 6 bucks for an entire gallon of quality german beer really isn't a bad deal.

I do miss a good ol' American house party though.
    Wow, this car rocks.

I live on the autobahns of Germany

Ravens for life.

I was goofing around with my odometer the other day (never realized the center display was tied in till I read the manual) .. over the last 6700mi my average fuel mileage has been 24mpg according to the cars trip computer. Granted I have driven alot of highway and live in a fairly moderate climate (mid atlantic east coast) ... but for the performance of the car I've been pleased with the fuel mileage. I had a feeling it'd be lower given the way I usually drive (I like boost ). One of these weeks I need to re-set one of the trip meters to see what my mpg is like for a week of normal work n back commute (mostly city, touch of highway). I'm curious to see where it lands but I'm sure that it'll be near/around 18mpg.

to the op;
    dont forget that higher cruise speeds will also drop your fuel mileage. Make sure your tire pressure is where its supposed to be. If you haven't checked it since it got cold.. it very well could be off (not necessarily off enough to throw the tpms but off enough to toss your mpg. You're already on to the o2 sensor importance.. what oil do you use? what air filter?

edit:

now with just over 10k on the car, the average fuel mileage is still mid 23mpg range. I am quite pleased that a car with this much snot and awd gets the fuel mileage it does. Granted, its no fuel sipper.. but for what it does.. it does it pretty efficiently
    Last edited by mangostick; 02-03-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

im lucky to see 16mpg city driving

Has anyone figured out an ideal highway cruising speed? I have a 2002 WRX with the 2.0. I had to have the short block replaced recently, so that actually ups my milage as this one only has about 6k miles on it, rather than the 120k that the rest of the car does!

Quote Originally Posted by pepper06 View Post
    But it's $3.07 here for mid-grade!
    80 cents/liter, not bad.

I live in Oilberta (Alberta) and as of today 91+ octane is $1 CDN (0.94...ish USD)/liter or 3.57/gal.

Then again I didn't buy my car for the mileage, usually only monitor it to gauge how healthy the car is running.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

It's amazing how much more expensive it is right over the border.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Has anyone figured out an ideal highway cruising speed? I have a 2002 WRX with the 2.0. I had to have the short block replaced recently, so that actually ups my milage as this one only has about 6k miles on it, rather than the 120k that the rest of the car does!
    I don't know but what I do know is that your screen name rocks lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I don't know but what I do know is that your screen name rocks lol
    Indeed.

I am, however, the Priest of the Temple of Syrinx.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Haha, thanks guys. The reason I ask is because I have a bit of a road trip I'm heading on in about a week and I need to maximize my mileage cuz I'm kinda broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Haha, thanks guys. The reason I ask is because I have a bit of a road trip I'm heading on in about a week and I need to maximize my mileage cuz I'm kinda broke.
    Your best mileage will be the slowest speed in 5th gear w/o lugging the engine.

Realistically just stick to the speed limit and you'll be amazed at the mpg you can get. We take our wife's honda civic on vacations and we can get 35-40mpg easily just by not speeding.

If you're really that short on money and worried about mpg you bought the wrong car.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    Your best mileage will be the slowest speed in 5th gear w/o lugging the engine.

Realistically just stick to the speed limit and you'll be amazed at the mpg you can get. We take our wife's honda civic on vacations and we can get 35-40mpg easily just by not speeding.

If you're really that short on money and worried about mpg you bought the wrong car.
    I'm not THAT SHORT on money. But, being in college and having just bought my books, I just want to take it easy on this trip and spend that money on more important things.