Gas Mileage FAQ - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage FAQ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My car is messing with my emotions this morning. At one point it said 29MPG. I only have around 325 ...

My car is messing with my emotions this morning. At one point it said 29MPG. I only have around 325 miles on the ODO on my new hatchback '13. That was just from this morning though, on average it says I get between 21-24MPG. Although I calculated my MPG at the pump on my first fillup I average 23MPG, just 1 below what the meter in my car said I was getting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	109489

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

By my own calculations my stock 2013 WRX has been giving me around 18 mpg city and 26 highway, though I could probably push the highway number up a little higher since I'm finished with the break in and can use cruise control now. The readings from the computer have been about 1 mpg more than what I've actually been getting.
    PA-C

As far as running the A/C wasting gas while driving... didn't myth busters prove that to be wrong? I believe they ran a car around a track from full to empty with the A/C on and then with it off and saw no difference or very, very little. I do agree that other electronics would do a very slight amount but most of it comes down to whether you are driving like a nut or not. So far I am averaging 20.4-23.8 in the 800 miles I've had the car. These are above the average that the sticker from the vehicle says is average for the vehicle so I am pleased.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe it was A/C on with windows up vs A/C off with windows down.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    As far as running the A/C wasting gas while driving... didn't myth busters prove that to be wrong? I believe they ran a car around a track from full to empty with the A/C on and then with it off and saw no difference or very, very little. I do agree that other electronics would do a very slight amount but most of it comes down to whether you are driving like a nut or not. So far I am averaging 20.4-23.8 in the 800 miles I've had the car. These are above the average that the sticker from the vehicle says is average for the vehicle so I am pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I believe it was A/C on with windows up vs A/C off with windows down.
    Yes that is correct. They saw about a 10% decrease in gas mileage from either setup/situation, which aligns with the general % I've always heard.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Very good write up.

Ive been contemplating writing a similar write up for the diesel industry on this same thing.

I get calls all year long with people asking why their mpg has suddenly dropped.

There is so many things to factor, driving style, driving condition, outside temp, etc etc

Driving style, are you a lead foot or drive like grandpa?

Driving condition, are you driving 100miles one way to work, or are you making a 2 mile drive down the road? this greatly effects average mpg. Ive found that with my truck under LIGHT acceleration the instant mpg is about 2mpg. but once i get rolling its around 30ish. I do about 12-14 city driving and 20 on the freeway. so frequent stops will greatly reduce mpg. Also are you on the flats of Nebraska or are you in the rolling hills of Kentucky?

Outside conditions seem to be where i find most of the losses im mpg come from in my customers. When its 100+ outside I run the AC on max, and then due to the thin air the truck is a doggy, smoky pig which thus uses allot of fuel. Same goes for the winter time. Weight of snow on the truck, running the defroster, letting the truck warm up for 15-30min before i drive it.

essentially i have given up on mpg and just fill the damn thing up when the light comes on. lol
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

I Support ClubWRX

Gas Mileage FAQ

Wow... You get 30mpg in a diesel truck? What kind of rig is it?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

thats just a instant rolling down the the road at 35ish. the average is 12-20 depending on what im doing.

but its a 640hp 06 Duramax
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    I am seeing 21mpg going 80, and get it up to 27/28 by going 65... doing some maths....

If I go 80 I save 50 min a week total commuting, or save 10 bucks hmm lol

But been averaging 19.5 per tank...
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

I Support ClubWRX
    I got 17.2mpg today for my first day of driving my new jeep wrangler. Not too shab for a 285hp v6 pushing around a 4000lb brick.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Re: Gas Mileage FAQ

Well, if I was "hyper miling" I guess I could attain 25-27mpg even if my total mileage was at below 2500 miles.... I'm averaging 21 to 23 mpg since the rex was "broken in"..... Gradual increase thus far which is pretty good considering the fact it sees a lot more demand for boosting and brisk acceleration on my commute.

I'm hoping to see a little more improvement on the highway cruises as the odo nears 10k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I am a traveling sales rep. Today after 230 miles round trip commute I averaged 24 mpg. 93% of which was highway driving.

I coast when I can. Go the speed limit, and stay out of boost.

However I'd love to know which is more fuel efficient. Normally I'd do 73 in a 65. But today I did 66 in a 65. I'm no math wiz so I'm not sure how to figure which is more efficient.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see my mpg on my way to work on the interstate @ 73. Then reset my odometer on the way home and see my mpg @ 66. I'd assume 66, but we'll see. Note: I'll reset the odometer when I'm up to speed and in cruise control.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SDub View Post
    However I'd love to know which is more fuel efficient. Normally I'd do 73 in a 65. But today I did 66 in a 65. I'm no math wiz so I'm not sure how to figure which is more efficient.
    Has more to do with science than math. This is where the drag coefficient comes into play.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    Mythbusters a/c episode was a highly flawed test... like most of their shows. But it makes perfect sense. A/C off with the windows up should give best mileage, even if so minute it can't be measured. A compressor under load has much more resistance, that saps power, than a compressor pulley without it's clutch engaged. This difference certainly isn't anywhere near 10% in a car this powerful. Maybe in a beetle... I'll take not being a sweaty bastard vs < 5% MPG hit any day.

The only way high electrical use would use more MPG is if you installed a new alternator... even then... the rotational resistance of an alternator is negligible and certainly doesn't change dependent upon much of it's potential power use.

Quote Originally Posted by junglizste View Post
    The only way high electrical use would use more MPG is if ....
    Do you know GENERATORS? I mean the ones at like hospitals. There is a very real relation between electrical load and HP generated (used) and related fuel consumption.
    And the alternator is a REAL generator, even if it's not very large.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.