Gas Mileage FAQ - Page 15
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage FAQ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Venom351R I checked mine today when I filled up and I got 24.3 MPG so this next ...

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I checked mine today when I filled up and I got 24.3 MPG so this next tank I go through I'm going to do some really easy driving, shifting 2,500 RPM and lower and try my best to time stop lights and run a few stop signs along the way lol
    That's pretty good for an STi. I filled up yesterday in my stage 1 '02 WRX and was at 27.67mpg. I generally keep it below 2,750 when accelerating and in-gear coast. I found that cruising in 5th at 30 mph nets good results too:-).
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got 21 when I filled up yesterday. All city driving. Stage 2. That's what I like about the turbo: someone show me a v8 pony car that can get that...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I just filled up my tank while I was sitting on roughly half a tank according to my guage. It only took 5.5 gallons my trip odometer read 187 miles. That's exactly 34mpg. I don't know if I didn't squeeze enough gas in my tank or what. I let the pump shut off, pulled the nozzel out and after a little more it clicked off again. Not sure if I'm retarded or if my new car is super car in town here. It was all town, no highway driving, but not a whole lot of stop and go city traffic.

2004 wrx stage 2 tune from cobb ap, turbo back exhaust catless, and an intake.

I haven't owned the car long, this is the first tank I haven't really drove the car hard. Earlier tanks were about 25mpg though. A full tank of gas is about 12.5 gallons for my car.

Here is my recorded data for the first 55k on my 2011 wrx wagon. I drive it pretty hard and live at 7k altitude. I use the max octane which is 91.
    edit: fyi, this value is about 1-2 mpg less than the digital readout.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 wrx mileage thru 55k.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	104367
    Last edited by kd5gwf; 04-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Now that's nice. I wish I had the discipline to record like that!

Quote Originally Posted by kd5gwf View Post
    Here is my recorded data for the first 55k on my 2011 wrx wagon. I drive it pretty hard and live at 7k altitude. I use the max octane which is 91.
    edit: fyi, this value is about 1-2 mpg less than the digital readout.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 wrx mileage thru 55k.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	104367
    Nice data logging! I'm surprised you do as well as that at high altitude and with 91 octane
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Did some real easy driving since the last fill up and got 25.4 MPG. That was with shifting at no higher then 2,500 and shifting below that as much as possible and trying to time the lights the best I could, worked sometimes but not always.

I thought of another idea as well. A lot of the time I can tell I have to stop and I am carrying a lot of speed like an up coming light or backed up traffic. My next test tank I go through whenever possible I am going to take it out of gear and cost as much as I can w/ out impeding the flow of traffic. If I can shift it into neutral and coast using no RPM's that should make a difference from getting out of the gas but still turning 2,000 RPM's. Its the RPM's that really knock down the gas mileage and sitting in one spot with out moving.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    I got 21 when I filled up yesterday. All city driving. Stage 2. That's what I like about the turbo: someone show me a v8 pony car that can get that...
    what horsepower do you get with stage two? Do you need a cai with that setup? I have a stock 11 Wrx with a Spt exhaust. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    what horsepower do you get with stage two? Do you need a cai with that setup? ...
    My current setup is a little "strange" in that the original catted Downpipe has been put back in for the sale of the car, it was sold by a dealer. So the tune is stage2 but the actual configuration is not exactly that. The tubing for the FMIC required a CAI. I'm putting the invidia 3" catless on this coming weekend, then it's back to what it should be and then I may be able to find some numbers for HP. At this time your answer may have to come from some one else...

100% bone stock, '03 5-speed Bugeye wagon, 87k on the mill.

Some days I shift at 2500, some days a shift at 6500. There's not much rhyme or reason. I just drive, I enjoy it.

I'm getting 24.1 MPG. I switched from Sheetz 92 octane gasoline to Sunoco 93 tonight when I filled up. It really seemed to make a difference on the 11 mile trek home. It could be all in my head, though.

Sooo much information XD

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    If I can shift it into neutral and coast using no RPM's that should make a difference from getting out of the gas but still turning 2,000 RPM's. Its the RPM's that really knock down the gas mileage
    When you coast while in gear using engine braking you don't use any fuel as the injectors are shut off and the motor is kept turning by the momentum of the car. Since there is no combustion going on you get engine braking since the friction and force required to pump air in and out of the cylinders work to slow the pistons down. Coasting in neutral, the car needs to use gas to keep the motor turning instead of using the wheels to turn it so in theory you should use more gas.

Any idea just how far in rpms the fuel stays shut off? Would a log with injector duty cycle show it?
    I was thinking that the fuel gets shut off during coasting, but wasn't sure and didn't want to say something stupid here. I guess that'll happen anyways, sooner or later...
    But as I'm often driving at low rpms (1500-2000), this is of interest.

I Support ClubWRX
    At the same time though... the compression slows the vehicle down, whereas idling in neutral doesn't... Just air resistance, and road/drivetrain resistance does.

There are times that I'll pop it in neutral for a downhill, that otherwise I would've lost speed by keeping it in gear and decelerating. I don't know which is better. It's probably a wash in the end.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    At the same time though... the compression slows the vehicle down, whereas idling in neutral doesn't... . It's probably a wash in the end.
    Still, my commute home ends with a good downhill. To keep speed in check I roll down that hill in 2nd, at 30+mph and still have to hit the brakes some. I don't want to be speeding right there at home... The subie has not much compression braking, even my little 1600cc 4-cyl suzie has more... but there's other occasions where it gets more interesting. I have one long downhill that I can roll in 5th with hardly slowing at all, but very low rpms, like 1400... am I still saving gas here? or should I coast and burn the idle fuel? At some point it probably doesn't matter...