Gas Mileage FAQ - Page 14
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gas Mileage FAQ within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ^^^ Wow, that's pretty impressive. But it saddens me a little bit to hear about that actual driving experience you ...

^^^ Wow, that's pretty impressive. But it saddens me a little bit to hear about that actual driving experience you had to go through haha.
    Steve // 2010 Cadillac CTS-V // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
    ^^^ Wow, that's pretty impressive. But it saddens me a little bit to hear about that actual driving experience you had to go through haha.
    Yeah me too. It's especially hard when people cut me off for not accelerating fast enough for them off a light. I guess the redeeming factor is when I pull up right behind them at the next light and wave, knowing their speeding up only to slow down only got them bad gas mileage. Ha ha.

Also the less wear and tear on everything is a big factor to me. The car has almost 149,000 miles and I can tell the trans is getting tired. About ready to start looking for a replacement unit or start saving for new gears and a rebuild.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I get about 30 on the highway using cruise control and about the same by going a little slower uphills and then fast down them, sometimes up to 80mph but that is on ny highways.(slowing down once I get to the bottom of course) I got 65mpg for 11 miles once in ny coasting up and down back roads hitting the gas maybe 3 times, its what the computer said at least. I have pics to prove it . I find that coasting is the best way to gain mileage on country and not as busy city roads. Also any hills I coast. I get about 23-25 in the city. I do everything 2002subieWRX sais too: And it is really hard to drive like that when you have people cutting you off and riding your bumper...

Quote Originally Posted by 2002SubieWRX View Post
    That's great numbers for the 2.5!

Just filled up last night and got 29.7 mpg on my last tank with about 70% hwy/30% city. That was using the following "hypermiling" driving habits:
    - Stay out of boost.
    - Shift between 2,100-2,300 rpm going down a hill.
    - Shift at 2,500 rpm driving on flat road.
    - Shift at or below 3,000 rpm when going up a hill or as soon as the grade starts to lessen and shifting won't cause the turbo to start boosting.
    - Compression brake whenever possible.
    - Look as far down the road as possible to foresee lights changing or traffic slowing.
    - Maintain the speed limit or a maximum of 5 mph over.
    - Use cruise control whenever traffic conditions allow.

I think that's about the best I can do without taking it on a non-stop road trip. Driving in Seattle traffic is hard to keep good mileage. This is with a stock tune, K&N drop in filter and GrimmSpeed ceramic coated catless uppipe. Hopint to purchase a Cobb AP v2 before the end of the year and go to stage 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Paisano View Post
    I get about 30 on the highway using cruise control and about the same by going a little slower uphills and then fast down them, sometimes up to 80mph but that is on ny highways.(slowing down once I get to the bottom of course) I got 65mpg for 11 miles once in ny coasting up and down back roads hitting the gas maybe 3 times, its what the computer said at least. I have pics to prove it . I find that coasting is the best way to gain mileage on country and not as busy city roads. Also any hills I coast. I get about 23-25 in the city. I do everything 2002subieWRX sais too: And it is really hard to drive like that when you have people cutting you off and riding your bumper...
    Very nice numbers too! I'm hoping when I go stage 1 I'll even get a little better mileage. There's always something to look forward to. After going to stage 1 I'll be looking at DPs and thinking stage 2...
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

I managed to get 22 mpg city again, that's with a couple of pulls as well. I did the same thing I did on the last tank I got 22 mpg city on, kept the engine on or about 3k rpm.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Hmmm.....i'm lucky to get 20 & don't drive hard too often.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pdfreak View Post
    we just need to figure out how to generate a localized gravity field on the car (and contents) that doesn't take any energy to maintain or modify. then we can simulate downhill coasting everywhere!
    Hell yeah, my MPG gauge says 76.6 (or something random like that) when I reset it going down hills and that is WITH the AC running! Now if only we had any idea of how to create that technology...

I've found something strange though. In a ~15 mile canyon between two valleys near where I live (going from Brigham City to Logan if you're familiar with the area) if I reset the mileage calculator in say ... Ogden... I'm usually getting about 27mpg (highway) when I get to Brigham. Then as I go up the canyon my MPG drops to about 23-24ish, but then if I put the car in neutral and let it roll out of the canyon into the other valley, putting it in gear in known speed trap zones of course, I typically arrive in Logan getting around 27.6-27.9 mpg. It works the same coming back the other direction too.

So the moral of the story is... if you travel up and down steep hills that will keep your cars speed up without any gas, if you simply let it roll you will at the very least match the average mpg you were getting before coming into the canyon over the entire length of the canyon.
    2010 Subaru WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    If we could economically control gravity on localized basis, I suspect that cars (as we know them, anyway) would go the way of the horse and buggy.

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Impressive Documentation

I think this documentation took a very long time to produce and it seems to contains valid experience from real drivers. Thanks for taking the time to maintain it.

I'd like to introduce myself. Call me Tommy. Other than knowing how to drive a car, I know nothing about cars. I figured this would be a good place to start learning.

I just purchased a 2012 Subaru WRX STi about two weeks ago. It is an amazing ride. My route to work and home is about ~100 miles a day. It's probably a little more than 800 miles on the odo now.

I've only been to the office 7 day these past two weeks, but I'm normally there 5 days a week. The images showed my current lifetime odo reading which is the same as the trip A reading and trip A's mpg reading.

Those readings are based on my driving style when I brought it at 10 miles...

98% Highway / 2% City - 8 out of 14 days
    65% City / 35% Highway - 6 out of 14 days

Avg. % of Shifting less than 1.8k rpm - 2%
    Avg. % of Shifting around 2.3k rpm - 18%
    Avg. % of Shifting around 2.8k rpm - 20%
    Avg. % of Shifting around 3.2k rpm - 50%
    Avg. % of Shifting around 3.5k rpm - 6%
    Avg .% of Shifting around 4.0k rpm - 3%
    Avg .% of Shifting greater than 5.0k rpm - 1%

97% Intelligent mode
    2% Sport Sharp / S# mode
    1% Sport / S mode

Highway Cruising in 6th at around 2300rpm [50%] - 3100rpm [50%]
    I have the rev set at 3200rpm which keeps me under 80mph.
    I like to boost on the way to work. (5-10 second boosts, 2-3times a trip. 10 second+ boosts, 1-2 times a trip, 2-5 minute boosts, 1-2 times a trip)
    I stay off the boost on the way home with minor exceptions. I usually boost uphill when the lane is clear.
    I stay off the boost at least two miles before I reach my destination, and I leave the car idle for two or three minutes when I get to the destination.

It probably did 80mph for ~3 hours during it's life so far.
    It probably did 90mph for ~15 minutes during it's life so far.
    It probably did 90mph+ for ~3 minutes during it's life so far.
    It probably did under 80mph for the rest during it's life so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-17 18.03.12.jpg   2012-02-17 18.02.45.jpg  
    Last edited by ElitestFX; 02-21-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Lost attachments

Quote Originally Posted by 5pdfreak View Post
    we just need to figure out how to generate a localized gravity field on the car (and contents) that doesn't take any energy to maintain or modify. then we can simulate downhill coasting everywhere!
    Why, this is an easy one:
    Just put larger wheels on the back and smaller ones on the front. Then you are always going downhill.
    * Only: you can't do that with subie's AWD, dang it!
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Hey
    somewhat relevent, I can't get my miles per gallon thingy to appear. A disappeared when the car went to the dealer and I can't it back on. The manual said to put key in the lock position and press the plus button, the thing blinks but the miles per gallon still doesn't show up.... any help?
    When you put in the key, the key is in a lock position right?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an 06, so I have no idea.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by djtuzik View Post
    Hey
    somewhat relevent, I can't get my miles per gallon thingy to appear. A disappeared when the car went to the dealer and I can't it back on. The manual said to put key in the lock position and press the plus button, the thing blinks but the miles per gallon still doesn't show up.... any help?
    When you put in the key, the key is in a lock position right?
    sometimes you can turn the key toward yourself (counter-clockwise) to lock it. I would try all of the available key positions and see if any of them work.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Quote Originally Posted by wrxgc View Post
    sometimes you can turn the key toward yourself (counter-clockwise) to lock it. I would try all of the available key positions and see if any of them work.

I know for the '11s you need to have the odometer set to trip A or trip B to get the mpg to show up.

I checked mine today when I filled up and I got 24.3 MPG so this next tank I go through I'm going to do some really easy driving, shifting 2,500 RPM and lower and try my best to time stop lights and run a few stop signs along the way lol
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102