2009 WRX reliability? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX reliability? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mine blew at about 3000 km. Since it was after the break in period, I'd been driving "assertively" and I ...

Mine blew at about 3000 km. Since it was after the break in period, I'd been driving "assertively" and I thought maybe I'd been too impatient. I'm actually kinda glad to hear it's a defect, bad as it sounds. I've never had a wrx/turbo/new car before.

I'm about 1500km into the new engine, (~1000 miles!) and I'm doing my best to be gentle. So, a smart shopper might be wary - but me, I still love my rex. The dealership was decent about it. and one imagines Subaru has made efforts to fix the issue.

edit: back after checking: Manufactured 08/08, VIN ending 804451. Just like that nasioc thread says. *shakes fist*
    Last edited by ILikeToGoFast; 04-20-2009 at 03:09 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    haha, once you have a WRX you will never go back to a Honda! The 09 WRX with a Cobb Accessport is so much fun in every condition, thats the way I run mine!!
    Heh - that's what I'm afraid of... 5-door '09 Premiums in blue, red, or white are hard to come by in my neck of the woods at the moment, so it looks like I have no choice but to wait for the '10.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by amadeus303 View Post
    Heh - that's what I'm afraid of... 5-door '09 Premiums in blue, red, or white are hard to come by in my neck of the woods at the moment, so it looks like I have no choice but to wait for the '10.
    Or you could look at the incentives for the 09 STi, when the 2010 Model Line-ups come out.

Would probably be your best bet!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by tekfoc View Post
    The problem with the late 08-09's is the bearings , Subaru decided to change from lead bearings to silver bearings to be environmentally friendly.

The bearings are not easy to pass break in particles, so what happens it scars the crank journal real bad and this what kills the bearings.

Subaru's fix for this is extra hard treated crank journals to ease the breaking in of the new engine .

Subaru says they will continue to use the new style bearings .

lead bearings is much more forgiving then the new silver bearings .
    This info is news to me. Thanks for posting the specifics.

Do you have any more details on this design flaw? Did Subaru actually confirm their mistake? The engineer in me would like to know.

I'm actually in the same EXACT boat as you, as I'm finally considering trading in my '05 TSX and picking up an '09 WRX (or waiting for an '10) or an '09 STI. I also own an MDX (my wife's), and trust me... if you're anything like me, you'll be miserable if you ever have to drive a big slushbox everyday. I'm also considering waiting for the '10s to see if they add a few more features like an HID option and a push button start.

FWIW, I do find the stock WRX suspension a little soft compared to my TSX, although my car is fairly modified... so I'll probably stiffen up the suspension too when I finally pick one up --- I'm not sure if yours is still stock. On my 2 test drives, however, I found the '09 WRX to strike a really nice balance between comfort and sport. I don't see snow as much as you probably do in the Northwest (I'm in NJ), but even traction in rain and wet slicked roads is a HUGE improvement. I run dedicated summer/winter tires in each season, and it's frustrating to lose grip in simple stoplight commuter traffic.

I've always been a Honda guy, but I just have this weird feeling that once I go Scooby, I'll never go back... lol.
    This is interesting, b/c I am also considering an MDX as well. JUst like you, I'm not too fond of driving a big cargo box and I much prefer driving the likes of a sporty sedan/wagon. I actually almost traded the TSX in for a MDX, but balked when I didn't get the price I wanted. Had I bought the MDX, I would have wanted a separate manual summer car. Good thing I found out about the WRX wagon, combines suv/summer car into one.

I like my TSX, extremely reliable and comfy interior (the seats, however, are not comfy; I can never get sufficient lumbar support, and my wife hates the rear seat's comfort, where she sits alongside our baby). But just POOR performance in wet/snow/ice/slush. I too have lost grip in simple commuter traffic. Very frustrating, and scary.

I too have always favored Hondas/Acuras (had an old manual Integra I loved). Can a Scooby do us in?

Quote Originally Posted by docboy View Post
    This is interesting, b/c I am also considering an MDX as well. JUst like you, I'm not too fond of driving a big cargo box and I much prefer driving the likes of a sporty sedan/wagon. I actually almost traded the TSX in for a MDX, but balked when I didn't get the price I wanted. Had I bought the MDX, I would have wanted a separate manual summer car. Good thing I found out about the WRX wagon, combines suv/summer car into one.

I like my TSX, extremely reliable and comfy interior (the seats, however, are not comfy; I can never get sufficient lumbar support, and my wife hates the rear seat's comfort, where she sits alongside our baby). But just POOR performance in wet/snow/ice/slush. I too have lost grip in simple commuter traffic. Very frustrating, and scary.

I too have always favored Hondas/Acuras (had an old manual Integra I loved). Can a Scooby do us in?
    Don't get me wrong... if I *had* to drive an SUV, the MDX is very nice. As far as SUVs go, it handles fairly well, has decent acceleration, and since it's a Honda/Acura, it has a lot of great creature comforts. Reliability is assumed. With that said, the only time I ever really yearned to drive her car was when there was inclement weather on my way up to the mountain to snowboard.

With all that said, I think the Scooby really does offer a well balanced ride. I've never viewed a vehicle as just something to get me from point A to point B, so driving dynamics mean something to me. I picked the Acura because I thought it had a nice blend of performance with great in-car gadgetry... but I yearned for more power... and often. I like the added cargo space --- it'll fit my 2 dogs (95lbs. and 65lbs. boxers) --- and the back seats don't seem to be any worse then what we have in my TSX for when my wife and (hopefully soon) baby are along for the ride. I was considering an STI, but I'm slightly concerned that the noise *might* be a bit much for the fam in the back. If it were ever really an issue, we could also use my wife's MDX.

It's the beginning of the end, doc... you jumping first?

Don't get me wrong... if I *had* to drive an SUV, the MDX is very nice. As far as SUVs go, it handles fairly well, has decent acceleration, and since it's a Honda/Acura, it has a lot of great creature comforts. Reliability is assumed. With that said, the only time I ever really yearned to drive her car was when there was inclement weather on my way up to the mountain to snowboard.

With all that said, I think the Scooby really does offer a well balanced ride. I've never viewed a vehicle as just something to get me from point A to point B, so driving dynamics mean something to me. I picked the Acura because I thought it had a nice blend of performance with great in-car gadgetry... but I yearned for more power... and often. I like the added cargo space --- it'll fit my 2 dogs (95lbs. and 65lbs. boxers) --- and the back seats don't seem to be any worse then what we have in my TSX for when my wife and (hopefully soon) baby are along for the ride. I was considering an STI, but I'm slightly concerned that the noise *might* be a bit much for the fam in the back. If it were ever really an issue, we could also use my wife's MDX.

It's the beginning of the end, doc... you jumping first?
    I hear ya. The TSX was my first new car, and I was probably initially mesmerized with having a "new luxury" sports sedan with a nice interior. It's a great reliable car, and has decent space for the wife and baby. I also like my TSX's HID lights; may have to do a conversion if I do get a 09 WRX. But it's severely underpowered, and IMHO needs AWD for inclement weather. Unless Acura comes out with an AWD TSX in 2010, the Scooby may likely win me over.

The WRX wagon (if that's what you are considering) has decent rear room like the TSX. I also like the hatchback design and being able to bring bikes in the back. I tried our baby seat in the WRX rear and it fits fine. Nothing like your MDX and our RX330, but it's sufficient. (Btw, I also looked at the IS250 AWD, but it's auto only and a rear seat in the back so cramped up there's absolutely no room for a car seat. So no IS250 for me). My wife also prefers the comfort of the WRX seats over the TSX. I agree with her, the TSX seats somehow just does not have sufficient lumbar support. Not that I mind the leather.

I'm still doing my final stages of research in the WRX. I just need sufficient evidence these engine issues are a thing of the past.

But I'm still getting that itch though

Even though I test drove the 2009 WRX Wagon Premium twice, there are some interior questions I have, if you don't mind:

1) When you open the center console, does it have "2" layered containers? Does it also have a "coin container?"

2) Does the WRX have a dome light in the front driver's area, and a 2nd dome light in the rear for the back seat passengers?

3) In the rear, does the middle of the back seat fold down to give the passengers a middle arm rest? Is the lighting delayed?

4) Does the interior of the front doors have pockets for papers and stuff?

5) Is there a sunglass holder on top of the roof?

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably just best to keep your sunglasses inside the car with you.

It's interesting hearing your questions. Perhaps it's a sign of the times. When the car first came to the U.S., the prospective buyers were all about how the car drove..the interior could have been two seats built out of plywood, and they would still have bought the car. It's good that the interior has been improved, of course.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Even though I test drove the 2009 WRX Wagon Premium twice, there are some interior questions I have, if you don't mind:

1) When you open the center console, does it have "2" layered containers? Does it also have a "coin container?"

2) Does the WRX have a dome light in the front driver's area, and a 2nd dome light in the rear for the back seat passengers?

3) In the rear, does the middle of the back seat fold down to give the passengers a middle arm rest? Is the lighting delayed?

4) Does the interior of the front doors have pockets for papers and stuff?

Thanks!
    1. No coin container. There's just a little "coin tray" spot in front of the drink holders.

2. I think so...but I'm not sure

3. No middle fold down I don't think. It's just a 60/40.

4. Yes, both front doors have pockets and a round spot for a bottle (water, etc)

5. No sunglasses holder.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Probably just best to keep your sunglasses inside the car with you.

It's interesting hearing your questions. Perhaps it's a sign of the times. When the car first came to the U.S., the prospective buyers were all about how the car drove..the interior could have been two seats built out of plywood, and they would still have bought the car. It's good that the interior has been improved, of course.
    Spoiled, aren't I?

Just some of the things I've gotten used to in my TSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    And you're sitting on your hood....

Bad WRX owner.
    I'm late to this thread, but he doesn't have to worry about sitting on his hood cause it's made of steel

Edit : Double edit : WRX's are awesome in the snow. We've had a lot of the white stuff this year, and it's no fun in FWD.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 04-21-2009 at 11:52 AM.

I have an '09 wrx sedan, and there is an armrest for the passengers in the rear seat.

I have about 6,500 miles on mine and I'm quite sure I drive the car rougher than most--zero problems so far (aside from some paint defects which my dealership has agreed to fix for me--and by that I mean restore the hood and side fenders to brand new condition at no charge).

I should add that I ordered my car from the factory late enough that I believe all the engine problems people talk about were already ironed out.

As I've said many times before, I absolutely freakin' love this car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Spoiled, aren't I?

Just some of the things I've gotten used to in my TSX.
    Not spoiled..I like certain creature comforts as well, though not the same list as yours. I had a G35c for a while, and I sometimes miss the heated seats. Nothing beats some hot ass on a cold winter's morn!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The 09 WRX wagon does not have a front dome light, just the one in the rear. It does have two map lights up front.

It also has heated seats! keeps my butt nice and toasty on those -30C days.
    Last edited by ILikeToGoFast; 04-22-2009 at 07:22 AM.