2.0-2.5 turbo comparison
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2.0-2.5 turbo comparison within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so my girl and i are looking at buying our first subaru. we've narrowed it down to this car out ...

2.0-2.5 turbo comparison

so my girl and i are looking at buying our first subaru. we've narrowed it down to this car out of our top 3 cars. we are looking for a wrx wagon, manual. and just found out that the 06+ wrx came in 2.5 instead of 2.0.
    is the power a crazy difference, we test drove a 07 today. and we are gonna test drive a 02 tomm. i like all the years but she likes 04-07 ones. shes picky and likes power.
    so just wondering what i should be expecting power wise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Expect more torque and better throttle response. Expect better ergonomics and interior appointments but also the same crappy -- no, make that criminal -- paint.

I'd buy the youngest car I could find provided it has a full service history and is fitted only with authentic Subaru parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Expect more torque and better throttle response. Expect better ergonomics and interior appointments but also the same crappy -- no, make that criminal -- paint.

I'd buy the youngest car I could find provided it has a full service history and is fitted only with authentic Subaru parts.
    by youngest you mean newer. because your first part made it sound like the 02 will be better thant the 07

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bodiedon20s View Post
    by youngest you mean newer. because your first part made it sound like the 02 will be better thant the 07
    Ah, I see what you mean. You're right. Buy the newest car you can with a full service history and authentic Subaru parts used for maintenance/expendables. This implies buying a car that is not modified and has been routinely serviced according to the book, with documentation to back it all up. Never rush, they make more Imprezas every day and it's not exactly a seller's market anyway. You're in a position of power as a buyer; leverage that as much as you can.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah the one we drove today was a 07 wrx wagon with spt intake exhaust. dont know if it was chipped. had boost gauge. it was real fun. but i also know that they disc. wagons in sti so maybe i can convince her to get a older -03 wagon sti
    her other options are a 03-04 passat w8 6sp 4motion or a b5 audi s4 avant. but both those are maint hogs. and even though im a euro freak i dont wanna do a timing chain on a w8 lol and i wont pay someone 4500 to do one either. so im getting her to think long term. ins price. maint price gas price. but still fun to drive

I Support ClubWRX
    No STi wagons were officially imported into the United States. The current STi Imprezas are 5dr hatches; however, they are also the most expensive of the breed. Older wagons are WRX cars if turbo but not WRX STi cars.

I like the technology and fitment of the VAG products but would not own one in the US. I'd own one in the EU simply because the parts are cheaper and the support is better. If I were to buy an import in the US it'd almost certainly be Japanese (if I were being sensible).

The first wrx I even drove was an 02, so it obviously wowed me. Later, after having an 07 for a year, I drove a stock 02 again and was really disappointed with the power. Basically I was just sitting there flooring it and just waiting for the damn turbo to kick in! love em, but the stock 2.0 just doesn't cut it when compared to the 2.5.
    Just make sure you be careful if you do get an 02 as the trannies are very very fragile...more fragile than the other years.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

If you plan on building a 500 hp beast you will love the 2.0. If you want something quick and easy that you dont have to do much to gain good power out the box then go with the 2.5.

The best way I can describe the difference between the two motors is this, the 2.5's powerband starts at much lower rpm's and feels much smoother. You get response and turbo spool much earlier on and thus it feels a lot quicker. The 2.0's powerband is much higher and more powerful in the higher rpm's. If you've ever driven an s2000 or a prelude and felt when the vtec kicks in around 7000 rpm's this is what I would compare it to.
    2006 AW STi

funny you say that. we use to own a 99 prelude si. and i had put full exhaust hr cupkit and intake on it for her birthday. it was a fun car. but i hate torque steer.
    shes a power junky so well probly get the 2.5 wrx
    the only mods the car will see are
    intake
    header
    turbo back
    and a tune
    thats it.
    along with some guages
    i really liked the pull of the 07 so i too will probl. be much diss. when i drove a 02

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    The first wrx I even drove was an 02, so it obviously wowed me. Later, after having an 07 for a year, I drove a stock 02 again and was really disappointed with the power. Basically I was just sitting there flooring it and just waiting for the damn turbo to kick in! love em, but the stock 2.0 just doesn't cut it when compared to the 2.5.
    Just make sure you be careful if you do get an 02 as the trannies are very very fragile...more fragile than the other years.
    Um, a couple of things. The '02 is, to me, a bit laggy from the factory. Easily fixable, of course. A simple stage 2 level of mod completely changes things. OTOH, I like the turbo surge. I get bored by cars with a powerband that looks like Kansas.

And the comment on the trannies is a bit of an overstatement. If you're into drop-clutch launches, then yeah, you might expect some problems. But then that's going to be true with any number of cars. If you drive a manual properly, you should be fine. I've owned 2 2002 WRX's at various states of mod, with no tranny problems to date. (The first had a VF34 turbo swap)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2004 Subaru Impreaza Wrx turbo swap for STI turbo

Hey,

I am doing a swap on my subaru with an STI turbo. Subaru sai it would run fine with it. Does there need to be any mods before or after I do. Like injectors, fuel pump things of that nature. Please reply to this because I need some advice. Thanks.

with an exhaust the 2.0L sounds a lot better than 2.5L, and those cars are less complicated to modify and tinker with. beyond that, the 2.5L cars have the performance / refinement advantage.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by bodiedon20s View Post
    shes a power junky so well probly get the 2.5 wrx...

i really liked the pull of the 07 so i too will probl. be much diss. when i drove a 02
    Isn't the the 07's a 2.0 not a 2.5? Or am i remembering wrong?
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

Quote Originally Posted by gunnywrx View Post
    Isn't the the 07's a 2.0 not a 2.5? Or am i remembering wrong?
    The 2.0 was no longer offered, ever, in the US, starting in 2006.

I Support ClubWRX
    The best part about the 2.5L is 5th gear... it's actually a useful gear. MUCH less shifting on the highway. Going up hills I can stay in 5th and still have power... on the 2.0s you needed to shift into fourth because there is not as much lower RPM torque.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.