Oh oh... mine just broke.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oh oh... mine just broke. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ever loaned your 3 month old WRX265 to a friend from work cuz he recently bought a new car and ...

Oh oh... mine just broke.

Ever loaned your 3 month old WRX265 to a friend from work cuz he recently bought a new car and was wondering how the Subie compared driving-wise to his car, then you got your WRX back and realized it's gotta go straight to the shop cuz it's making some horrible knocking noise from the engine? I have. Kinda sucks.

Not really looking for help as to what the problem could be... I just needed a place to shed my tears.

Oh well, I'll know tomorrow at the garage what the deal is and will be reading my warranty fine print I guess.

(And definitely not blaming the problem on my buddy... it could just be a really bad coincidence. I'm sure we'll laugh about it over a few cold beverages years down the road. Argh.)
    Too cold to ride... so I'll drive instead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hrmmm, maybe I shouldn't let my friend drive mine any more... Well, now it's your turn to borrow his car.

Best of luck with your subbie.

I Support ClubWRX
    maybe because you call it a WRX265.. I will call my car WRX300 or one of my priors WRX385..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Ha, nice. Though it's more like a WRX150 right now. (BTW... Up in Canada, ie. the land of toques and igloos, our WRX is equiv to a US Impreza 2.5GT, and our WRX265 is equiv to a US WRX. Gotter, eh!?)

And my buddy did tell me I can have his car while mine's in the shop. He's got a 2009 Acura RL. Problem is, I think it's mandatory to wear a suit and tie when driving one of those, and I just can't be bothered.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hi- sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this has creeped up several time w/ the new 09- it's a rod bearing failure.

Would you please post to this thread:

2009 Impreza WRX motor issues - NASIOC

please have the mileage, VIN and build date if available

there are some good tips in there on how to handle the situation as well

thanks

Mike
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Hi- sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this has creeped up several time w/ the new 09- it's a rod bearing failure.

Would you please post to this thread:

2009 Impreza WRX motor issues - NASIOC

please have the mileage, VIN and build date if available

there are some good tips in there on how to handle the situation as well

thanks

Mike

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

My thoughts exactly. And there's no doubt, that's the problem. Sound is exactly as the youtube video. Oh joy. I'll post the info to NASIOC asap. Gotta try to figure out the build date.

As for my first day in the shop, the service dept failed to call me back at the end of the day as they promised, and they said they might not have a courtesy car available until Monday, which simply doesn't cut it for me. Oh well, let's hope things get better and I don't have to wait a month for a fixed car like some of the posters on the NASIOC site.

Funny thing though... I remember posting a question on this site when I'd first gotten the car about red lining, rev limiter, etc... and somebody warned me to stay away from even thinking about this as it'll result in spun bearings. Now, I certainly heeded the warning and drove the with a good eye on the tach, but after 8000 kms, spun bearings it is. (Again, I'm just assuming this from the NASIOC posts. I'll have to wait for the dealership to confirm that when they get back to me.)

Time for me to crack open a cold Lucky Lager.

(And BTW, thanks Big Sky for the input.)

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GunslingerRC View Post
    Ever loaned your 3 month old WRX265 to a friend from work cuz
    nope. no one touches my car besides my parents and brother.

if he wanted to see what your "wrx265" was like, you shouldve told him to take his lazy butt to a dealership to test drive it.

on another note, good luck with getting her fixed. keep us updated

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    My thoughts exactly. And there's no doubt, that's the problem. Sound is exactly as the youtube video. Oh joy. I'll post the info to NASIOC asap. Gotta try to figure out the build date.

As for my first day in the shop, the service dept failed to call me back at the end of the day as they promised, and they said they might not have a courtesy car available until Monday, which simply doesn't cut it for me. Oh well, let's hope things get better and I don't have to wait a month for a fixed car like some of the posters on the NASIOC site.

Funny thing though... I remember posting a question on this site when I'd first gotten the car about red lining, rev limiter, etc... and somebody warned me to stay away from even thinking about this as it'll result in spun bearings. Now, I certainly heeded the warning and drove the with a good eye on the tach, but after 8000 kms, spun bearings it is. (Again, I'm just assuming this from the NASIOC posts. I'll have to wait for the dealership to confirm that when they get back to me.)

Time for me to crack open a cold Lucky Lager.

(And BTW, thanks Big Sky for the input.)
    you want to follow the factory break in, but beyond that you certainly don't need to baby it

if the rod bearing is going to go- it's going to go- they somehow sourced a bad batch of bearings don't know how many vehicles are effected, but it appears if you make it to 5000-7000 miles your probably in the clear- some fail as quick as a 150 miles

please post post your info in the link I provided, the more documentation the better for everyone- thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    please post post your info in the link I provided, the more documentation the better for everyone- thanks
    Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    nope. no one touches my car besides my parents and brother.

if he wanted to see what your "wrx265" was like, you shouldve told him to take his lazy butt to a dealership to test drive it.
    That's not really fair because you don't know his relationship with the guy - I've driven some wicked cars in my life because my friends trusted me. If my buddy came over from Europe I'd give him the WRX to take to the Rockies without thinking twice, and likewise he can't wait to let me try his new V8 M3 when I return to Europe. Sure there's a level of trust between us, but at the end of the day both cars are insured, under warranty and replacable. I'd let anyone drive my car, as long as I know and trust their driving.

If I was to take a bullet in the face while breaking through a door yelling, "Search Warrant!", my coworker would be the first to pull me out. As would I for him. Trust in my coworkers just goes with the territory. And hey, it's just a car.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't exactly let him take my girlfriend out for dinner.

I understand though if others are more protective than I am with their wheels. Each to their own.

I Support ClubWRX
    I
    Now, that being said, I wouldn't exactly let him take my girlfriend out for dinner.
    the wife maybe, but definitely not the girlfriend!

thanks for posting in that other thread

Update: Nearest Subaru dealer was told by Subaru Canada today that a new long block is en route. Spun bearings seems to be the culprit and Subaru Canada didn't even blink, just put the engine in the mail; hmm, almost like they were aware of this problem.

Should be back on the road in a week or so. Until then, it's a stock Forester loaner for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah they know about it

a couple of things:

try and get a new turbo if it's not already included w/ the long block- spun bearing will contaminate the oil putting your turbo in jeopardy

also not sure how it works north of the border, but a lot of the guys this side are successfully arguing for 100k extended warranty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast