09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by cecilia Noooooooooooooooooo! Just looked, mine's 08/08. Haven't had any probs at all, and I'm at 13K - ...

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooo! Just looked, mine's 08/08. Haven't had any probs at all, and I'm at 13K - anyone know of one that hasn't died? Or I guess that's just a question of 'hasn't died YET' ... Bad idea to go on a 2000 mile road trip at this point? Think I can ask for a replacement before anything happens? Getting scared now..
    I know how you feel...It's sad when it actually makes you relieved when your car breaks down

Wish ya the best

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by White_Pearl_82 View Post
    Okay, so I just got back from the dealer and am now the owner of a brand new loaner! At least my paranoia wasn't making me hear things because they also heard it. They haven't gotten a chance to really diagnose it yet (it seems pretty obvious to me now) so I don't have any details. I did ask the guy if they had this happen before and he said that he personally had not dealt with it. He did say that one of the mechanics have had someone bring one in with a similar issue though. I'm glad I got it in sooner than later because I was taking a trip with it from CO to WI next week. That would have really sucked to get stuck out in Bumf*$# nowhere Nebraska and have it go to hell.

Now has anyone brought theirs in before there was a total engine failure? That was the case with mine. I hope they don't try to do some kind of band-aid fix or I might have to raise some hell. Anyways, I'll keep updating as I get news.
    What'd ya get for a loaner?

I don't think it's possible to band-aid fix something like that, aside from rebuilding the guts of it. Hopefully they take care of it quickly for you. As soon as you get the "official" word from the service department that it's a spun bearing, call SOA and get an incident number, and get the ball rolling on everything... Good luck
    Noooooooooooooooooo! Just looked, mine's 08/08. Haven't had any probs at all, and I'm at 13K - anyone know of one that hasn't died? Or I guess that's just a question of 'hasn't died YET' ... Bad idea to go on a 2000 mile road trip at this point? Think I can ask for a replacement before anything happens? Getting scared now..
    I believe there was one that went at 15k...

Unfortunately, since Subaru isn't officially acknowledging this as a problem with all July/Aug builds, I highly doubt you can preempt the knock to get it replaced...
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I know how you feel...It's sad when it actually makes you relieved when your car breaks down

Wish ya the best
    Agreed.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Wish ya the best

Hah thanks.. yeah I'm worried about driving up to MT and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. Not so much fun. You're in Boulder? Do you go to the Flatirons guys?

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    What'd ya get for a loaner?

I don't think it's possible to band-aid fix something like that, aside from rebuilding the guts of it. Hopefully they take care of it quickly for you. As soon as you get the "official" word from the service department that it's a spun bearing, call SOA and get an incident number, and get the ball rolling on everything... Good luck
    Roger that....got an 09 Impreza hatchback. Eh...it'll get me around.

Hah thanks.. yeah I'm worried about driving up to MT and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. Not so much fun. You're in Boulder? Do you go to the Flatirons guys?
    Yeah, that's where I just was. I bought the car up in Washington state though at Walker's Renton Subaru (although they got it from a different dealer that I can't remember).

Roger that....got an 09 Impreza hatchback. Eh...it'll get me around.
    I bet it moves better than my Dodge Journey loaner... it was like riding on a lethargic elephant. Cool gadgets on the inside though! Could have used a Hemi....
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    I bet it moves better than my Dodge Journey loaner... it was like riding on a lethargic elephant. Cool gadgets on the inside though! Could have used a Hemi....

Hahaha elephant? Who knew a Dodge Journey could be so exotic? They gave me a Tribeca once, they look like freaking spaceships on the inside

Hahaha elephant? Who knew a Dodge Journey could be so exotic? They gave me a Tribeca once, they look like freaking spaceships on the inside
    They kind of look like spaceships on the outside too!

I like those a lot.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    if you get stuck in MT you can give me a shout

has everyone whose posted a failure in this thread reported on at this thread?

2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC

it's the most comprehensive reporting thread (closing in on 80 documented cases)- I believe this thread has saved a lot of mucho hassles

danke
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Mine developed the rod knock yestereday, build date 08/08, mileage is 4632, vin# 503129. Having it towed today or tomorrow, only mod on right now is the catback.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    sorry to hear that

there is one posted on 3gwrx that has 19,500 miles on it- the new high mile record holder
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Okay, so I just got back from the dealer and am now the owner of a brand new loaner! At least my paranoia wasn't making me hear things because they also heard it. They haven't gotten a chance to really diagnose it yet (it seems pretty obvious to me now) so I don't have any details. I did ask the guy if they had this happen before and he said that he personally had not dealt with it. He did say that one of the mechanics have had someone bring one in with a similar issue though. I'm glad I got it in sooner than later because I was taking a trip with it from CO to WI next week. That would have really sucked to get stuck out in Bumf*$# nowhere Nebraska and have it go to hell.

Now has anyone brought theirs in before there was a total engine failure? That was the case with mine. I hope they don't try to do some kind of band-aid fix or I might have to raise some hell. Anyways, I'll keep updating as I get news.
    The dealer sent in the diagnostics to SOA and are waiting on them to respond. The service desk guy that I've been talking with did say that, "A non-magnetic magnetic substance was found in the oil." Hmmm that sounds familiar! I think its only a matter of time. It's almost like I'm telling the guy that I know what it is but they aren't so quick to say for sure lol.

They are going to start the teardown on mine tomorrow and are going to send in the pictures to SOA. The Subaru rep has to stop by tomorrow and look at the car to let them know what they can do. Hopefully it is all good news as far as getting a new engine/turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    OH damn...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.