Subaru WRX Forum banner

09 WRX Engine Failures

88K views 348 replies 83 participants last post by  SlimJim8804 
#1 ·
#312 ·
I called into subaru of america HQ, the customer services reps i spoke to were completely clueless that there was even an issue going on with these cars. This is absolutely appalling the lack of communication with HQ. My service manager at my dealership is completely clueless as to the infamous rod knock. I have received no help or incident number from the HQ. I have the feeling that they are trying to pull a fast one on me. What should I do....

#313 ·
Dig your way through the phone system until you get to higher up reps. The lowly customer service reps don't know squat. The problem exists. Either way, if you are still under drivetrain warranty anyway, your engine should be replaced. The service manager certainly should know that.

#314 ·
I got to a supervisor. My car is under warranty and bone stock so I really don't anticipate Im going to have any problems but it just makes me mad that there are still so many people that are clueless to this knock of death by now. It has been over 3 years and it has happened to hundreds of subies, you would think it would be a well known issue internally. If customer service reps and supervisors are not aware of serious issues with products their suppose to helping you with, it hinders them to perform their job correctly.

#316 ·
They are replacing the engine under warranty and gave me a loaner car in the mean time (2012 legacy its actually a really nice ride, really slow compared to the wrx but still nice). Anyway, got a call from the dealership saying my clutch is burnt out and he can replace it for 850 since the engine is apart right now, +1500 if i wait. He said it maybe has 1000-5000miles left? My car is stock, I have NEVER launched my car, and the only time the clutch was ever burned was when I was trying to teach my little sister how to drive stick, which she didnt even burn out that bad. Do you think this is their attempt to try and get some money out of me since they are replacing the engine under warranty? The car is a lease and going back in two months. Im trying to do an early trade in and not even get the car back once the engine is replaced. Any advice?

#318 ·
He's replacing it for 850?!?!?! He's ripping you off. I had a motor replaced last October, and when they pulled the engine, they told me the same thing. Replace the clutch since it's already exposed, and the labor was all under warranty with the engine replacement. Cost me 150 for the clutch to be replaced. He's charging you for a full clutch replacement, labor and parts included. 850 is what it would cost you, even if the engine wasn't pulled.

Tell him to knock off 700 from the price and justify it by saying all the work is done, they just need 10 minutes to put the new one in!

But yeah, if your turning it in in a few months, don't replace the clutch unless you have to. But dear god, not for 850! All the damn work is done!

#319 ·
^^^This. If it's all out and the clutch is already exposed, it shouldn't cost EXTRA labor. That'd be ridiculous.

Maybe an extra hour of labor out of pocket, which I'd still equate to a great deal because they have to focus time on the clutch itself aside from the engine, but not for a full clutch job in the least.

#321 ·
and this is why I felt like I was being ripped off and had to ask you guys thanks..

850 while the engine is already out and 1500 to do it if i come back after with the new engine.

the car has 49,250 miles on it - i never launched it, and rarely ever burnt the clutch like I said before. How long is the expected life of the stock 09 wrx clutch?

Any advice how I should call out this butt hole of a head mechanic at this dealership?

#322 ·
I wouldn't really say there's an expected life. Some people blow clutches in 20k miles...some make them last 200k miles. From what I understand though, the 3rd Gens have potential to eat clutches...from 09s-11s.

Tell the mechanic that the price is absurd. You want to see the documentation that it should cost that much. And explain to him that there's no reason why it should be extra labor since the engine is already out. If he doesn't see it that way, then don't get it done.

#323 ·
^ This

I doubt he will provide documentation though. He would have to over inflate the prices so absurdly to the point it would be easily spotted. 850 to 1k is the high end of what it should cost for a clutch job, done by the dealer. It's not a hard job, just a pain in the balls to pull the tranny. Especially an AWD tranny. If he goes anything over 200 tell him to piss off.

I'd send a complaint to the BBB and attorney generals office. But that's just me.

#324 ·
IT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!! 09 WRX SEDAN WITH THE 08/08 BUILD DATE. Normal driving and it just started making noise and I lost oil pressure.I made it home so I will have to take it to the dealer this week. I had a stage two set up for three weeks and everything was just fine. Well back to stock and keep my fingers crossed.

#327 ·
I'm not sure if dealers use labor rate books. Most of your local shops have these to stay competitive and not underbid each other out of business. Example, if they look up your car's clutch job it may say 8 hours. My dealer/local shop charges $70/hr labor rate. There's $560 in labor with parts not included. They use this as a standard whether you bring the car to them torn down or complete. This also justifies that huge number they'll throw at you and hope your are not wise. Shop around labor rates vary. It makes sense for the shop to do this because they'll charge you for 8 hours of work which may actually only take 4 hours to do. Once you get a few quotes and if your savvy with tools, spend the money on your own tools and do the job yourself. The last time I let the dealer screw me, I knew I could pull the job off myself and I still kick myself for paying someone to basically rip me off. That's what I get for being lazy. Good luck I hope all your cars are up and running better than before. Soz for the book writing.

#328 ·
Some of you who are on NASIOC probably saw my post but I'll do a repeat here...

economatic said:
Well, at 14,000+ miles and three years the '09 bearing debacle is over for me. I got the car back today with a new long block and the remainder of the factory warranty intact. Overall, I'm very happy with how the situation was resolved. I did not get a new turbo (didn't ask) and did not request for an extended warranty (again, didn't ask). I also didn't get a question about modifications, oil change receipts, or how I drove my car.

Here's how it worked out. I dropped off the car with all kinds of suspension goodies and aftermarket wheels and tires thinking this won't end well. Got a call a few hours from the assistant manager saying a long block is on the way without a single question asked. I specifically asked if it was an issue that I had a turbo back exhaust on the car (weakness of my North Dakota honesty coming out) and he said "No, my manager said this is a warranty issue. You're covered under warranty." I also asked if he wanted oil change receipts or any other documentation. Nope, I was good. To think, I had the oil change receipts in the glove box and 5 Blackstone reports in my back pocket, if needed. I was fully prepared for a battle and was willing to throw down some cash considering I was at stage 2+, even though this clearly was a manufacturing defect. No worries, SoA will never see this car again for warranty service.

All I have to say is....very cool. They took care of the issue and made me a very happy customer. Even better, I won't have to give in to my wife's infatuation for a Mini :)() so we will probably get an XV later this year.

#329 ·
Glad things worked out for you! Nice to hear a non-horror story with SoA every so often.

#330 · (Edited by Moderator)
A couple of days ago I purchased a 2010 WRX HB. I had an option to finance the car for 72 months through Subaru for 4.5%. 60 month interest is 3.9%...
I'm 6'2" and weigh 240 lbs. I feel very comfortable in the WRX. Plenty of headroom with the seat cranked down.
My WRX was ordered by the dealership with the SPT shortshifter and exhaust system. I think the WRX should come standard with those two items.
Before buying my WRX I test drove a 2010 GTI, MS3 and Ralliart. Obviously the WRX got the nod! Good luck!

#331 ·
This problems only occurs with 08/08 build date? I own a WRX 2009 Hatchback 265hp with 17k miles on it and im a bit worried of this problem concerning my car (my WRX is 2009/2008). How can I know what month it was produced? The sticker on the driver's door jam doesnt tell what month it was produced and the dealership claims he doesnt know :eek:

Does somebody has a glue whether i'm safe or not? Last 6 VIN digits: 054336 (No, it doesnt start with "8")

#340 ·
Hello,

I finally got around to getting a Blackstone report. My oil change at 57k had 1ppm of silver in it. Is there any other elements I should be looking for on the report? I am going in for my 60k soon and will get another report. I still own about 15k on this, but was contemplating looking at one of the STIs that have popped up for sale at the dealership. Has anyone ever turned in a car with 2 years of payments left on a car? Does this hurt your credit at all?

#344 ·
slim, if that is the only concern, I am not worried about that. I would rather owe 30k on a car that will last 6 years than a car that will blow its motor in 6 months :). I do appreciate the feedback. I will be owning a civic till I an afford an sti :(. Your feedback is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.