09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 8
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; as long as you don't purchase a 07/08/2008 build you'll be golden oe if you do, make sure it has ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    as long as you don't purchase a 07/08/2008 build you'll be golden oe if you do, make sure it has the revised engine in it already
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got a quick question. Cause I am planning on buying an 09 WRX and I went to the dealership and I was trying to look for the Build date. Where would I be able to find this Info? I so noob.

Driver's side door jamb, it's on a small black sticker.
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

well the break in period is finally over on my 09. So far its running great.k

Also just ordered the Perrin catback.
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

Red face I have a WRX built in 08/08

Reading all these posts has had me paranoid. I have 7200 miles on my WRX which included a trip from Seattle to Boulder. The other day I though I could pick up some knocking in the 3800+ RPM range which seems to coincide with what other people have said. Its not as loud as I've heard from some of the videos people have posted but mine might be in the early stage of failure. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight to see what they say. Wish me luck!!!! Any advice?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by White_Pearl_82 View Post
    Reading all these posts has had me paranoid. I have 7200 miles on my WRX which included a trip from Seattle to Boulder. The other day I though I could pick up some knocking in the 3800+ RPM range which seems to coincide with what other people have said. Its not as loud as I've heard from some of the videos people have posted but mine might be in the early stage of failure. I'm taking it to the dealer tonight to see what they say. Wish me luck!!!! Any advice?
    Let us know... (btw... I live in your area if you need any help)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

whats the build date?
    2009 Impreza WRX Hatch.
    Cobb AccessPort: Cobb Protune @ Draco Performance
    346 ft/lbs 289 awhp.
    Perrin CAI.
    Perrin Performance Catback.
    Perrin Performance 3" catted downpipe
    SPT boost guage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidr1 View Post
    whats the build date?
    08/08
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't worry about babying it at this point. If it's a 08/08 build date there is a good chance that it is in fact on it's way- normally it's pretty quick

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I wouldn't worry about babying it at this point. If it's a 08/08 build date there is a good chance that it is in fact on it's way- normally it's pretty quick
    This is really depressing to hear. :-( I really hope that when the 08+'s get into the 60+ range that there aren't a lot more engine failures. The "Fix" may just be prolonging the inevitable.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd have to guess that there are some Oct + build cars that 6-7 months old that are in the 20k+ range, probably a bit early to see anyone in the 60k range yet

I wonder what the cost of this "little error" has been to FHI? long blocks and turbos (and labor and rental car fees and extended warranties) aren't cheap. My guess is they got it licked, too expensive not to.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I'd have to guess that there are some Oct + build cars that 6-7 months old that are in the 20k+ range, probably a bit early to see anyone in the 60k range yet

I wonder what the cost of this "little error" has been to FHI? long blocks and turbos (and labor and rental car fees and extended warranties) aren't cheap. My guess is they got it licked, too expensive not to.
    You'd hope so... but after 60k they don't care... There are Subarus with 250k+ miles on them with lead bearings... even WRXs that are 200+. With these new "environmentally friendly" bearings though.. do we have any field tests stating that they won't crap out earlier?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

When I took my car in it wasn't for the knock, I was having alignment issues. I didn't hear any knock at all. The service department told me it was knocking. Either it was very quiet, or it blew when they turned it on to bring into the bay.

... or they didn't have much work to do and knew about the problem and wanted to keep busy. Only took them two days (dropped off weds, picked up fri) to replace the turbo, long block, fix leaking back shocks.

I still have to call SOA to check on the status of the Warranty though.. haven't heard anything about that since Friday.

EDIT:
    Arrived home to an envelope from SOA with the warranty details and date effective as of the day after my car went into the shop. 7 year/ 100k mile "gold plus" extended warranty.

I'm inclined to call them up and let them know that dealing with them about this has been a pretty positive experience... know you, except for the engine imploding an all that.
    The dealership service department was also very pleasant to deal with. Makes me wish I bought the car from that dealership in the first place; they just wouldn't bring the price down as much as the one down the road
    Last edited by elwray; 06-29-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: it came in the mail today...
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Thumbs down

Okay, so I just got back from the dealer and am now the owner of a brand new loaner! At least my paranoia wasn't making me hear things because they also heard it. They haven't gotten a chance to really diagnose it yet (it seems pretty obvious to me now) so I don't have any details. I did ask the guy if they had this happen before and he said that he personally had not dealt with it. He did say that one of the mechanics have had someone bring one in with a similar issue though. I'm glad I got it in sooner than later because I was taking a trip with it from CO to WI next week. That would have really sucked to get stuck out in Bumf*$# nowhere Nebraska and have it go to hell.

Now has anyone brought theirs in before there was a total engine failure? That was the case with mine. I hope they don't try to do some kind of band-aid fix or I might have to raise some hell. Anyways, I'll keep updating as I get news.

Noooooooooooooooooo! Just looked, mine's 08/08. Haven't had any probs at all, and I'm at 13K - anyone know of one that hasn't died? Or I guess that's just a question of 'hasn't died YET' ... Bad idea to go on a 2000 mile road trip at this point? Think I can ask for a replacement before anything happens? Getting scared now..