09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Liquidr1 so do you guys think im safe with a febuary 09 build date. i just got ...

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    so do you guys think im safe with a febuary 09 build date. i just got 500 miles on the car and it sounds and feels solid as a rock.
    Feb 09 should be fine. Just make sure you're doing the break in which is keep it under 4000 rpm, vary your speed on the freeway and don't use cruise control for the first 1000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmmmmmm....

Took the car in this morning to have them check out the alignment, she pulls a little to the right.

Just got a call that the rear shocks are leaking, and when they turned the car on it started knocking. "connecting rod knock" as they called it.

I didn't hear anything when I brought it in this morning. He said the knock wasn't audible from inside the vehicle. This doesn't seem like the same failed bearing knock that many have been experiencing, does it? I assumed it would be plain as day if that happened.

Wouldn't this hurt performance? I hadn't felt any difference..

Haven't had any dealings with this dealer yet, but the guy behind the counter was friendly enough. Just gave me the update and said he's putting some calls in to get a loaner car lined up, and will get back to me later on.

If the engine in deed DID fail, then here are my specifics:

09 WRX Hatchback
    Miles: 7988
    Build date: 8/08
    Vin: 804XXX

I'll keep you all posted.

What's the general consensus been, insist on a new turbo (shared oil system) and extended warranty?

Thanks
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    connecting rod knock = engine has failed

get on the horn to SOA customer service, get a repair/incident number- let them know you have a connecting rod failure

also let them know that you know this is a VERY common failure for early 09 WRX's and that you want a full long block and turbo

they should be calling the dealer quickly and letting them know what to do

when the engine replacement gets the green light (they've been replacing engines in less than a week of late- I suspect they stocked up on long blocks/turbos), then get back to SOA with your reference number and tell them you want the full "gold" extended warranty to make up for any diminished resale loss that an engine replacement can impact

also when you get a chance please post your info up in the nasioc thread (2009 engine failure vin list or something along those lines- number is at 75 and counting )
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Thanks, I'll get on that. I'll post up the info on NASIOC as soon as I confirm with the service dept what's going on.

Though there's really no doubt what happened...

I got the feeling that the guy on the phone seemed like he knew about this being a fairly widespread problem but wasn't supposed to say much about it. I may take a walk over there during lunch to talk to them in person and get the story -- luckily they're just a block over from my office.

Big Sky, yours went too, right? How long did it take you to get the car back?
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I Support ClubWRX
    yes mine at 6500 miles, it took mine about three weeks- this was due to a severe shortage of turbos (the long block came in just two days)

the last several guys that have the engine go are getting turnaround times of around a week

I forgot to mention a rental or loaner (not a piece of junk either) on your to do list

Yeah he said he's talking to someone about lining up a loaner car. I told him I will accept nothing less than a Baja

I guess I should be more upset about my new car's engine dying, but I suppose it was expected and at least now I don't have to worry about when it's going to happen. Won't feel like I'm driving a time bomb anymore.

Is it possible I could have driven around without realizing it had a spun bearing?? I don't beat on the car, but I was far from gentle on it ... including the way to the dealer this morning...
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I Support ClubWRX
    for the most part the bearing just lets go, no forewarning

the knocking can certainly get worse the longer you drive it, but folks had a car w/ 0 issues to a car needing a new engine

to be honest I was somewhat relieved when mine went, as the numbers started piling up and everything pointing to July/Aug builds- it was a dark cloud following me around

now the cloud is gone

Angry

Well, they're officially in the process of blowing away that dark cloud for me.

I've got a Dodge Journey loaner car (if you haven't seen it, it's the love child of the Caravan and the Durango ). It's actually kind of nice, but had noooo power to speak of.

How much of your time did it take to get the turbo/gold warranty sorted out over the phone with SOA? I called them as soon as I spoke to the service tech at the dealership, and the SOA employee told me he had to contact the service manager and had no info.

I just got back from the service department and the tech told me that the "engine" has been ordered as per their SOA rep's recommendation. He couldn't tell me if that included a turbo or not. When I called SOA again, spoke to the same person, and he told me he doesn't know either and that he'll call me back once he speaks to the service manager at the dealership that he hasn't been able to get a hold of. (The guy who was standing there, not super busy, when I was there).

Was your general impression of dealing with SOA that they are genuinely helpful and this guy is going to call me back, or is he just jerking me around? I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment.

Oh, and FYI they did ask me for a receipt from a previous oil change.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

I Support ClubWRX
    no I think they jerk you around some, this is one of those times in life being very persistent and very assertive will come in handy

I wasn't rude, I wasn't a jack a$$, BUT I was very persistent and I was very assertive

my impression is if wouldn't have been that way I wouldn't have got the extended warranty

Surprisingly, I just got a call back from the SOA employee I'd been dealing with. I was seriously caught off guard; wasn't expecting them to actually do anything!

He said only a long block was ordered, but he told them about my concern on the turbocharger and they are going to look into that. As far as the warranty goes, he is speaking to whoever handles that about applying that to my vehicle.

If I don't hear back from them by 5, I'm going to call again to give them time to check with the service department which closes at 5:30. I figure I should prioritize the turbo replacement, so I can get the car back ASAP. If need be I can fight over the Gold Plus warranty once I'm back on the road.
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

When it happens it happens fast. I drove mine in the morning and it was fine. Then when I went to drive it in the afternoon I immediately heard the knocking and knew exactly what it was from the youtube videos. Had it towed to the dealer last Monday and I got the car back Tuesday so it only took 8 days. Called SOA right away to get a case number and insited on a new long block and turbo.
    The techs know exactly what it is from the noise and order the long block usually right away. The report said failure code AAU12 and the #2 rod bearing had spun, they also found metal in the oil pan.
    I followed Big Sky WRX recommendations and it turned out as well as could be expected. The "extras" I'll be getting are still pending.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmike09 View Post
    When it happens it happens fast. I drove mine in the morning and it was fine. Then when I went to drive it in the afternoon I immediately heard the knocking and knew exactly what it was from the youtube videos. Had it towed to the dealer last Monday and I got the car back Tuesday so it only took 8 days. Called SOA right away to get a case number and insited on a new long block and turbo.
    The techs know exactly what it is from the noise and order the long block usually right away. The report said failure code AAU12 and the #2 rod bearing had spun, they also found metal in the oil pan.
    I followed Big Sky WRX recommendations and it turned out as well as could be expected. The "extras" I'll be getting are still pending.
    Define "insisted"?
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    as the numbers started piling up and everything pointing to July/Aug builds- it was a dark cloud following me around
    That I where I am sitting right now. I have the cloud following me as well. I am currently upto 14K miles and wondering when it's going to happen. Mine is an 08/08 build so it seems highly likely that it will happen at some point.

I Support ClubWRX
    take it to the drag strip

Quote Originally Posted by kalidas View Post
    That I where I am sitting right now. I have the cloud following me as well. I am currently upto 14K miles and wondering when it's going to happen. Mine is an 08/08 build so it seems highly likely that it will happen at some point.
    Good luck, keep an ear out... and keep the mods down...

Got a call from the SOA rep this morning, my "turbo shaft had some play in it" so it's being replaced as well.

Not sure on how long the turbo should take to get in, but the long block should be here by tuesday.

I'm kind of liking the Dodge Journey they put me in for the loaner car -- it's got a refrigerator in it! how cool is that!? (I fear I'm turning into a soccer mom the longer I drive this)
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.