Subaru WRX Forum banner

09 WRX Engine Failures

88K views 348 replies 83 participants last post by  SlimJim8804 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Do we need to start a ClubWRX thread on this issue?

Makes my stomch hurt. I went though this undesirable VIN number thing once before with another car. My 09 only has like 600 miles on it. I wonder if there's a preventative measure that could be done at the dealer?

Anyone have the VIN number window mapped out yet?

#3 ·
I test drove one of the first 09 WRX 5 doors in my area, drove it up the interstate one exit and back and never exceeded 3K rpms and never gave it more than half throttle. Someone bought it a couple days later and blew the engine the NEXT DAY. Dealer had to replace the engine. Pretty incredible.

#8 · (Edited)
09 WRX hatch... about 2k so far. No problems - knock on wood - sometimes the revs hang up when putting the clutch in in stop and go traffic :confused: I dont know, the engine is still breaking in (not just breaking, I hope :))

Either way, obviously it's a concern and I will keep watching these 09 problem threads..

#25 ·
Actually, following the manual on proper break in procedures is the best way to go. The problem is when you "drive it like you stole it." Is that you do not allow the piston rings to mate well with the cylinder wall not to mention a lot of other parts to have time to properly mate with the other parts around them. So, maybe you might not lose a lot of power by driving it like you stole it however, you will rob yourself of power and longetivity down the road.

#17 · (Edited)
What a disapoint this is. After driving the 09 the other day waiting for the delivery of my new Mazda3 at the Suby/Mazda dealership I was sold. I've immediately began selling the aftermarket parts for my 05 in preperation of a purchase within a month. The main reason for the impulse to get rid of it is because the car has never felt the same since the dealership put the new motor in. Annoying buzzing and vibration between 1800-2000 of the interior, which they considered "typical", though didn't occur before they put their hands on it. Then the notchiness of the rebuilt tranny........ I can only imagine the anger/heartbreak and distrust of the car I'd have if I had the motor blow on me and the dealer had to replace it. Good luck to those going through the process.

Hi Mike,

This having any impact on your planned mods for the car? I see you're looking to race in DS, so the mods would be few to the power side, but it'd certainly suck to start lightly modding the engine for other classes, only to have it go at 20K or something and not getting it covered under warranty. Considering I only got 45K out of a well taken care of(IMO) Stage2 tuned 2.0L, my faith in Subaru motors is definately challenged, but I can't think of a better car at this price point.

#19 ·
Hi Mike,

This having any impact on your planned mods for the car? I see you're looking to race in DS, so the mods would be few to the power side, but it'd certainly suck to start lightly modding the engine for other classes, only to have it go at 20K or something and not getting it covered under warranty. Considering I only got 45K out of a well taken care of(IMO) Stage2 tuned 2.0L, my faith in Subaru motors is definately challenged, but I can't think of a better car at this price point.
As you point out out I elected to give DS a go this upcoming season (prior to any engine issues being raised) so I'm comfortable. Obviously disappointed there are issues, especially as these issues seem to be the very same issues that had early in 08- spun rod bearings.

It appears by everything I've read that if you have an effected engine, it's going to let go early- most often before 3000 miles.

The thing I find most disparaging is SOA being mum on whole the issue. I think they should be more forthcoming on what they've found, what vehicles may be effected and how they are remedying (beyond replacing long blocks).

Without any doubt this is the best WRX built to date from a performance standpoint, hopefully the spun bearing issue remains a small percentage and any effected are fully taken care of (they are doing a good job on that account!)

#22 ·
I just got my new 09 read about the engine failure efore hand so I purchased the extended gold warratny just to be on the safe side... I'm only at 800 miles but im climbing that odometer fast... My break in has been extended in all rpm ranges and throttle ranges ....

#23 ·
09 wrx, purchased it in october and im sitting close to 12000 miles i love to drive my car, but at 4000 miles i dont remember if it was 2nd or 4th piston but it spun a rod bearing, dealership reaplced it for free, gave me a response within a few hours and done in a week....

i believe thats my hold up on my stage 2, ill probably wait till 15000 miles and give myself the go ahead.

#26 ·
As long as this debate has gone on, there has never been scientific proof on either side. If break-in was so crucial, I find it hard to believe manufacturer's would rely on the mass public to do it right. I've never even heard a salesman so much as mention a break in period on any new car I've bought, nor point it out in the owners manual. Furthermore, have you ever heard of a manufacturer trying to deny warranty work by proving it wasn't broken in right?

#27 ·
have you ever heard of a manufacturer trying to deny warranty work by proving it wasn't broken in right?
Yes. It happened to a friend of mine and I know he followed the manufacturers guidelines for proper breakin of his engine and he had a valve retainer fail and the dealer tried to deny the warranty work. Claiming he did not break the engine in right. He had only 150miles on the clock when that engine let go.

#29 ·
I certainly wouldn't expect the manu to break it in, no more than I would expect TV makers actually calibrate their product to match real life colors. It does add cost. If it WAS important, there would be better emphasis and tighter scrutiny to save the manu money.

#30 ·
Well if it was NOT important then why do they even bother to put it in the manual and waste ink and cause the owner grief?

#35 ·
we/re assuming so as there have been no failures reported on any Oct or later build dates- many of these cars already have significant mileage on them

I'd insure if I were to purchase a July-Sept build that it already has the new engine in it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.