09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 21
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; it's just dumb.. I had Mitsu/DSM's for YEARS... Literally... '96 till 2010 i owned at LEAST one. often two or ...

it's just dumb.. I had Mitsu/DSM's for YEARS... Literally... '96 till 2010 i owned at LEAST one. often two or three.. two of them 400+ WHP on stock internals.. another COMPLETELY ran out of oil at englishtown.. only 'engine trouble' i had was a ****ty build by Pruven Performance in Milford CT (yes, i just dropped their name like that) where the oil filter fell off at speed

Seems like I just traded tranny problems for motor issues... and trannies were easier (and cheaper!)
    Last edited by -Witness-; 09-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well no, not really. The WRX has transmission problems also so you may have retained that issue.

In reality even with known issues an Impreza is very likely going to be more reliable than any DSM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

watch this video, is the infamous rod knock that ive been trying to avoid the for the past 50,000

car was fine all day, was driving home late night on the highway, it started to act a little weird ( this is under normal driving conditions 75mph cruise) it was pretty low on gas, it actually ran out of gas just as i got off the highway, managed to roll to the gas station and fill it back up then the noise got progressively worse as i continued my last 5 miles home. It died and stalled twice at a red light I couldnt get it to start back up. Tried again this morning and it started and now this is the noise getting worse and worse

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yup- that's the death rattle
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

thanks for confirming the terrible news Big Sky. 49,350 miles damnit. Im calling a tow truck as we speak. What is the best plan of attack when dealing with the dealership. The car is a lease and has zero modifications. In literally two days Feb. 20, 2009 is when I leased it. My 3 year warranty is up in two days..

If it falls within the bad build dates you should be fine .. esp if no mods are present. They're aware of the issue, its pretty well documented.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thank you, the car is bone stock and is an 08/08 build. I thought maybe, just maybe I got a rare 09 that wouldn't go through this. Oh well life goes on, maybe I can convince them to do an early trade in.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ agreed, I would first call Subaru (not the dealership) though and get an "incident" number

this is no mystery problem, it's happened to almost every single car in those build ranges- the mileage of course has varied from just a few to over 50k

drivetrain is 5 years/60k so your still good to go in all honesty I think they would take care of this problem even past those numbers
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, you'll basically get a fresh engine at 50k, right? Kinda sweet if you look at it the right way.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Wow, you'll basically get a fresh engine at 50k, right? Kinda sweet if you look at it the right way.
    The cup is half full!

That's how I choose to look at my valvetrain destruction with my RSX.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yeah that would be the best way to look at it, if I actually owned the vehicle. Its only a lease and I only have 3 months left on it. Im going to try and have them work with me on a new subaru. I need to put my priorities first and the WRX, although, the best car I ever had, I might be downgrading to a basic impreza. Ill miss my WRX but my wallet will thank me in the long run. I recently started a business so I need to save as much money as possible

I called into subaru of america HQ, the customer services reps i spoke to were completely clueless that there was even an issue going on with these cars. This is absolutely appalling the lack of communication with HQ. My service manager at my dealership is completely clueless as to the infamous rod knock. I have received no help or incident number from the HQ. I have the feeling that they are trying to pull a fast one on me. What should I do....

Dig your way through the phone system until you get to higher up reps. The lowly customer service reps don't know squat. The problem exists. Either way, if you are still under drivetrain warranty anyway, your engine should be replaced. The service manager certainly should know that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Dig your way through the phone system until you get to higher up reps. The lowly customer service reps don't know squat. The problem exists. Either way, if you are still under drivetrain warranty anyway, your engine should be replaced. The service manager certainly should know that.
    I got to a supervisor. My car is under warranty and bone stock so I really don't anticipate Im going to have any problems but it just makes me mad that there are still so many people that are clueless to this knock of death by now. It has been over 3 years and it has happened to hundreds of subies, you would think it would be a well known issue internally. If customer service reps and supervisors are not aware of serious issues with products their suppose to helping you with, it hinders them to perform their job correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    I got to a supervisor. My car is under warranty and bone stock so I really don't anticipate Im going to have any problems but it just makes me mad that there are still so many people that are clueless to this knock of death by now. It has been over 3 years and it has happened to hundreds of subies, you would think it would be a well known issue internally. If customer service reps and supervisors are not aware of serious issues with products their suppose to helping you with, it hinders them to perform their job correctly.
    I couldn't agree more. I do a lot of Tech Support and Help Desk stuff along with my other Network duties in the IT field. And its incredibly surprising how dumb some of the lower levels of customer service and support really are. When a bulletin or memo comes out, a lot of people don't bother to pay attention at that level which certainly doesn't help. I bet if that Service Manager talked to any everyday Tech in the grunt work of the garage, I bet they'd heard of the issue.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying