09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by shadowpr that's scary for me. I just passed 36k, so I'm assuming i'm safe. Guess only time ...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    that's scary for me. I just passed 36k, so I'm assuming i'm safe.

Guess only time will tell. In the meantime, stage 2 here I come.
    If your VIN is in the range then you're not probably not safe with these higher mileage failures. I have somewhere under 11k miles with small amounts of silver (3-5 ppm) in the 4 Blackstone reports I had done thus far. It is just a matter of time when mine fails. Tick-tock...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I guess I dont know how to find out if my vin # falls into this? I was goin by july build date. Is there somewhere I can be sure about the vin#? What are things I can watch for or listen for? This is why I have been hold out for a few mods.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ all you need o know is the build date, if it's July (or August/Sept) 2008 then you could possibly be effected

49k is the new record
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

it is an 08/08 26000! I have read all of these post again just revise my knowledge of this issue. Should I ask my local dealer questions on this? When they do an oil change can they see any traces? I have been putting off mods because of this issue, I might just try the cobb ap for stage 1 and see how it goes. Maybe a q300 cat back but hold off the rest untill I'am sure I've got a good one. No dark cloud nothing but blue skies******D

if it's an 08/08 i would assume that it will probably have problems soon.

like said before, the 07/08 and 08/08 are the main ones, with a few from the 09/08 builds. I have an 09/08 with over 36k miles and so far so good. also according to the last 6 of my vin, it seems like mine might be just after the vins of those with issues.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    unfortunately SOA (or a dealership) won't intervene until something goes

it might not hurt to let the service manager you know what the potential issues are up front, in the event something does go wrong harder for them to play dumb
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Im new to this, so cut me some slack please, I have the 2009 WRX, and did experience the "knock of death"
    At around 30k (miles) on a highway trip, she began to make this noise, if the normal sound the exaust makes can be described as a popping sound, this was more of a banging instead. I brought to the dealer that day and the mechanic came out to listen and said "yep your getting a new engine" He knew me and my car well, and knew I have never missed and oil change or any scheduled service. Subaru gave me a loaner car, and shortly I got my baby back again, with a new short block, the same one they use in the STI.
    Im told the problem was a hardened shaft and softer bearings.
    I needed to break in the motor again, and this being my third WRX motor break in (I traded my 08 WRX in for the 09 and some cash) I knew what to do this time, Youve got to set the rings ASAP apparently, you cant baby it, and you cant push it, just make sure you put down some grunt and keep the RPM in the sane range. Im making 22 inchs of vacuum and nearly 20 of boost according to the subie gauge. I suppose the lesson to be learned is dont fear the knock, Subie stands by the cars they sell, and they are made quite well. worse comes to worse and you get a new engine. of course its different if you dont buy from a dealer, always is isnt it?
    My experience with the bad engine has only increased my confidence.
    I will recomend to you Subaru in Ramsey NJ, and the two Alex's one is in sales, the other service.
    The next car I get will be an STI I hope, till then, thats me that just passed you in a grey 2009 WRX

One more thing... Youve got to hand it to Subie, look at the car, its one hot machine.
    A completely modded out imprezza, normaly you have to do that stuff yourself (and void the warr.)
    They put it out there and let us break it, then fix it, and let us drive it again.

that is good to hear! I 'am going srong still at 26,000. I had an oil change yesterday and was talking to the manager about this and he has yet to see one? I 'am going to lay low on the mods but stage one is on the way. Going for the Cobb ap with a pro tune but stock eveything else for now. I let the manager know I was aware of the this issue so kind of planted a bug, I'am 44 so he kows i'am not a kid race'n the drag. Maybe mine will last???

I just heard that there might be a recall for this issue? Subaru Tech rep was talking to my Sales rep about this. We will see still going strong but I would take a new motor anyday!!!!

I would be very surprised if they issue a recall. Actually, it would be a TSB rather than a recall bc aren't recalls usually for safety issues? At any rate, definitely keep us posted. I'd be curious to hear what the chatter among reps and dealers is as I got ignored by my service guy when I inquired about it.

let me add to the sleepless nights of every '09 wrx owner...

08/08 build date.
    100% stock (except for tires)
    54,xxx miles
    Spun rod bearing friday night.

50+ mile each way commute, never raced at ALL
    (though i have met the 144 mph limiter a few times ;x )

So all of yo that think you're in the clear? Sleeping good at night?

...think again.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by -Witness- View Post

08/08 build date.
    54,xxx miles

...think again.

Post the root cause of the failure if they provide it.

Remember, a lot of 2.0L were spinning rod bearings at < 60,000 miles thanks to a poor oil sump design. 2.5L N/A motors were blowing head gaskets at <100K miles. WRX/STi 2.5L motors were destroying oil pickups at 25K miles. If you own a Subaru, you've never been in the clear
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by -Witness- View Post

08/08 build date.
    54,xxx miles

...think again.

the 08/08 build date would have told me that i was at high risk. but i would have been thinking i was in the clear at 54k miles.

hope subaru can help you out.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that man. I just hit 42 and haven't had any issues sans a squeaking throwout bearing when its cold. Hopefully they cover this for you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.