09 WRX Engine Failures - Page 12
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Engine Failures within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mwake1 hey, I was looking at your mod list, what's "license plate delete"? If I may: It's ...

Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    hey, I was looking at your mod list, what's "license plate delete"?
    If I may:

It's basically a cover for the front license plate screw holes.

Like so:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

just got it

Ok so i just pick up the car not that long again and im not sure what the build date is? how do i find out?

it on a plate on the inside the driver side door jam.

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    the suspense kills me..wondering everyday if todays the day it just makes me wanna
    Wish I had some suspense! My 8/08 Premium build gave up the ghost today. Less than 7K. While I am stuck somewhere south of a mid life crisis (46), I do treat her with care knowing about these troubles. I bought the service plan and the gold warranty for extra insurance and haven't touched anything but that dumb awful murderously bad stereo. Didn't matter - quite clink became louder clank in about 10 minutes and then off the road and back home on an AAA flatbed. I got her up pretty good in second before a highway third and I think that was too much excitement for a weak engine...ah, batting 750 with Subie engines so far (Leone, Legacy, Outback and Rex)...

Quote Originally Posted by blackjak View Post
    Wish I had some suspense! My 8/08 Premium build gave up the ghost today. Less than 7K. While I am stuck somewhere south of a mid life crisis (46), I do treat her with care knowing about these troubles. I bought the service plan and the gold warranty for extra insurance and haven't touched anything but that dumb awful murderously bad stereo. Didn't matter - quite clink became louder clank in about 10 minutes and then off the road and back home on an AAA flatbed. I got her up pretty good in second before a highway third and I think that was too much excitement for a weak engine...ah, batting 750 with Subie engines so far (Leone, Legacy, Outback and Rex)...
    I know it sucks dude. you will have a new motor shortly.

wellllll, the wait of doom is over. started hearing a tapping sound a couple days ago over 2300 rpm, brought it in, and it's officially the rod bearing. 16,565 miles. 08/08 build.

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    wellllll, the wait of doom is over. started hearing a tapping sound a couple days ago over 2300 rpm, brought it in, and it's officially the rod bearing. 16,565 miles. 08/08 build.
    Wow, you got more than twice as far as I did on my Aug 08!
    2009 WRX Hatch PP Dark Gray Metallic
    Torqued Performance Stage 1
    Cobb CBE
    Kenwood DNX5120

Quote Originally Posted by elwray View Post
    Wow, you got more than twice as far as I did on my Aug 08!

haha i was starting to think i was good to go!!!

And you guys think you have it bad?!

"Since last December I have had a spun rod bearing cause catastrophic engine failure requiring long block replacement. Ever since then I have noticed an occasional severe hesitation during acceleration, which persists to the present day (as well as a few other abnormalities probably all a result of the factory ECU tune). I have driven for 2 months with intermittent CEL's requiring 4 different trips to my local dealer to presumably resolve (one trip to diagnose, one completely unsuccessful, one to replace secondary air injection valve, one to conduct service on wiring harness/relay/fuses related to secondary air injection valve system). I have made 2 trips to my local dealer for service relating to what I believed to be use or loss of engine coolant; service adviser hypothesized that engine coolant was lost due to specific service procedure conducted and engine coolant level was not restored at the conclusion of service. Upon receiving my vehicle back from the secondary air injection valve replacement service the vehicle was returned to me with an apparent boost leak (or other abnormal high frequency noise from engine bay after turbo spool up), a damaged intercooler, and literally 7 other different pieces of equipment that were not installed properly (not clear to me if defects originated from factory and had not been observed or otherwise originated from dealer service). Bolts were literally missing, fasteners were not fastened, etc.

At that point I documented (including pictures) all of my problems and contacted SOA. Vehicle was returned to dealer for service. Dealer resolved a few of the existing issues but I still have a damaged intercooler, I still have an apparent boost leak (or other abnormal high frequency noise from engine bay after turbo spool up; I've also confirmed this abnormality by driving another 09 WRX Sedan since), and believe it or not (even though I provided pictures demonstrating exactly what defects existed in regard to improperly installed equipment) not all equipment was installed properly!

It's become obvious that my local dealer will be unable to remedy my problems but I'm not sure any other dealers will want to deal with them either. And regardless of that I have developed extremely valid concerns about the reliability and longevity of this vehicle. I have attempted to remain cordial while trying to work with SOA to assist in putting me in another 09 WRX or other Subaru but I'm beginning to feel like they've recently developed a policy of ignoring me. I honestly have no idea how to proceed at this point and I am beginning to feel like my only option is to lawyer up."

AshJ from NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by mwake1 View Post
    So, I wrote a 'squeaky wheel' reply, and this is what I got so far:

>>>Dear Matthew, Thank you for your email. I apologize for not getting back with you sooner. I am still doing the research needed to determine if I can offer you any Goodwill. I certainly understand the inconvenience that you have experienced with your car and we definitely want you to have peace of mind when it comes to your vehicle. I recognize your urgency in having this resolved and I will have an answer for you by the end of this week, if not sooner. Thank you for your continued patience. Sincerely, Claudia Castro Customer/Dealer Services Subaru of America, Inc. [THREAD ID:1-4EAEQ1]

I was told to contact Subaru of America because my 2009 WRX was one of those with the engine build of 08/08. The engine failed and had to be replaced because of the rod bearing failure. Subaru did a great job replacing the engine, but I would like to have the Gold Warranty at no cost for my trouble and to alleviate reservations I now have about the car, as well as to maintain good customer relations as I am thinking about replacing our Jeep Liberty with a Forrester. Please respond to cell if possible as I cannot get through on the 800 line. Thank you.
    What kind of time duration did you experience between emails? I last took my vehicle in for service on 07/31/09. My SOA representative was supposed to contact me then but didn't. I received my vehicle back on 08/04/09, spent a few days confirming that I still had issues (scheduled a test drive with a friend who owns another 09 WRX), and then sent another message to SOA on 08/07/09. They have yet to respond (and I now get the impression that I am being ignored).

I too have a friend considering purchasing a new Legacy; the decision basically hangs in the balance of SOA's course of action with me (though I didn't inform SOA of that; I've been trying to remain as cordial as possible).

This is a bit late but here is the info regarding my 09 WRX engine crap out.

VIN: JF1GH766X9G802786
    Date of Birth: 08/08
    Miles at time of crapout: About 7500

My engine never totally failed but there was a faint knocking and I took it in right away. They did find pieces of metal in the oil.
    They replaced the whole engine long block. They ran tests on the turbo and showed that no damage was done so they wouldn't replace it.

Runing great since. There is 9000 plus on it now.

We should make a club of people who had this happen lol. I'll be putting the info on NAISOC as well.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the nasioc list is starting to push 90 folks! a few pretty high mile ones- 16K and a 19.5k iirc
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by White_Pearl_82 View Post
    This is a bit late but here is the info regarding my 09 WRX engine crap out.

VIN: JF1GH766X9G802786
    Date of Birth: 08/08
    Miles at time of crapout: About 7500

My engine never totally failed but there was a faint knocking and I took it in right away. They did find pieces of metal in the oil.
    They replaced the whole engine long block. They ran tests on the turbo and showed that no damage was done so they wouldn't replace it.

Runing great since. There is 9000 plus on it now.

We should make a club of people who had this happen lol. I'll be putting the info on NAISOC as well.
    WELCOME TO THE CLUB. I talked with the owner of the local Subu dealer about this and he said they didn't do a recall because not all the cars in the build dates had problems (not enough cars affected). They basically made the decision to what and seen what failed and then fix it rather than recall all cars and fix them or fix before selling them.

I Support ClubWRX
    SOA have not IMO proven to be as conscientious about good-will repairs after warranty as, say, US Honda have, and I hate to say it but I can't help suspecting that they've taken the course they've taken in order to simply see how many cars they won't have to repair at their expense, but rather for profit, at 60,001 miles. I would not mind being wrong at all.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

they went about it all wrong. They created cars that they knew were going to blow due to a bad bearing. Instead of pulling the cars off of the lots and fixing them, They instead would rather ruin 2-3 weeks of their customers life and then give them back a car they will never feel the same about.

WTF were they thinking. Just shows that they didnt give a damn about the consumer.