Question about Aerodynamics of Bugeye front bumper
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about Aerodynamics of Bugeye front bumper within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What are the 3 slots that are on the outside of the fog lights? Do they serve a puropse or ...

Question about Aerodynamics of Bugeye front bumper

What are the 3 slots that are on the outside of the fog lights? Do they serve a puropse or are they just cosmetic?
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you do a front-end changeout? 2004 wasn't a year for a bugeye WRX anywhere in the world, that I'm aware of.

Moving from Interior to Everyday Impreza Talk.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I would venture mainly cosmetic.

IMHO, the aerodynamics of the 02-07 models are generally poor. I had an annoying problem with the front end getting a little squirrely on me at highway speeds. When I added a V-limited front lip, it took care of it pretty much.

I've heard the STI spoiler can be hell in crosswinds too.

I know people have gotten their cars 140mph plus, but I'm not sure how stable the platform would be at triple digits...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Did you do a front-end changeout? 2004 wasn't a year for a bugeye WRX anywhere in the world, that I'm aware of.

Moving from Interior to Everyday Impreza Talk.
    I did a front end swap with a 02. So I have a 2004 bugeye The question you asked, I get asked all the time

The reason I asked about the slots is because I am getting these(Look where the slots are in front bumper) they give more of a aggressive appeal

ORCIARI - Prodotti
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"

They serve a purpose in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    What are the 3 slots that are on the outside of the fog lights? Do they serve a puropse or are they just cosmetic?

They are ventilation for the front brakes, and a method of keeping the foglight housings cooler. Not much more than that. They are not veins or spoilers, and do not create downforce. They are mostly cosmetic, since the wheel well rubber is sealed in the production version of the car. This is removed in the WRC Subaru Team race car, and the dams/louvers actually do allow their (Subaru's) "big-brake" discs to gather more turbulence and cool air to prevent brake-fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    They are ventilation for the front brakes, and a method of keeping the foglight housings cooler. Not much more than that. They are not veins or spoilers, and do not create downforce. They are mostly cosmetic, since the wheel well rubber is sealed in the production version of the car. This is removed in the WRC Subaru Team race car, and the dams/louvers actually do allow their (Subaru's) "big-brake" discs to gather more turbulence and cool air to prevent brake-fade.

So did you just contradict your self. Because I have alwasy wondered/heard that they were for coolong the brakes, but there is a inner fender wall that seems like it would not allow air to from them to get into the brakes.
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    So did you just contradict your self. Because I have alwasy wondered/heard that they were for coolong the brakes, but there is a inner fender wall that seems like it would not allow air to from them to get into the brakes.
    No, they are there for brake cooling on the rally cars, but for the production vehicle they are disabled. Keep in mind the WRX is designed around rally first and then production second. So ultimately they are just for looks on the production vehicles.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Some of the very first USDMs have ducts, they may even be marginally effective.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.