2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend)
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2008 STI tested out 0-60 at 4.9 seconds. They tested the 2009 wrx 0-60 at 4.8 seconds!! They got a ...

2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend)

2008 STI tested out 0-60 at 4.9 seconds.
    They tested the 2009 wrx 0-60 at 4.8 seconds!!

They got a 1/4 mile of 13.5 @ 101.1 (a single TENTH slower than the STI's 13.4 @ 10X.X)

I was considering the mazdaspeed3...but SOA just won my vote! Im off to the dealership!

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - Testing the 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door - Motor Trend

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ouch for the sti
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Yeah, all the dealers I have talked to in the proccess of getting my 09 WRX were not very happy about it's close performance to the STI. Basically why would people spend 10k more for very little to any performance? SOA told them the 6 speed Tranny is worth it, they weren't so sure. They are hoping for improvement on the STI next year.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow...impressive.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Am I missing something? It's not faster than the STI...

"Sixty mph comes in 4.8 sec, and the five-door, five-passenger hatchback we tested covered a quarter mile in 13.5 sec at 101.1 mph. That's near a second faster than last year's model and just a tenth slower than the 2008 STI. "

A tenth SLOWER. And as we know, the STI is more than 0-60 mph performance.

"WRX through our figure-eight in 26.3 sec and around the skidpad at 0.85 g. The figure-eight time is a near second improvement over the 2008 model, but six-tenths off the STI's time. "

Don't get me wrong, I am very impressed with the 09 WRX (actually should be picking mine up tonight!), but the STI was a completely different beast in terms of overall drive. It's much more substantial, direct shift linkage, huge brakes, DCCD, Si Drive, etc.

The 09 WRX was better suited to my daily needs, the STI felt almost over the top/overbuilt for my driving needs, and the $10K savings was more in line with my plans for the next few years. If I wasn't planning to go back to school in 2 years I would've picked up an STI no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pbm317 View Post
    Am I missing something? It's not faster than the STI...

The 09 WRX was better suited to my daily needs, the STI felt almost over the top/overbuilt for my driving needs
    Exactly. I guess someone didn't read the article.

I'm with you on the WRX. The STI is a great piece of machinery, but it isn't suited to my needs. I was driving an Evo when my wife picked up the WRX. She looked at the STI, but after all the headaches of the Evo in terms of eating tires, harsh ride, eating brakes, and, well, less than mainstream styling, the STI just wasn't going to happen. It wasn't a money issue for us, it was a "hassle" and "do we really need another bleeding edge car" issue. We ended up trading the Evo for an suv, and I took the WRX. And I'm honestly happier with the WRX than I was with the Evo. And I'm sure it would have been the same if I'd been driving an STI. Better mileage, quieter, softer ride, much more low key look, and more comfort features, and better power delivery (stage 2, of course).

I'm glad Subaru bumped the WRX up for 2009 (still pissy they did it with no notice when we were shopping in late '07), but I do wonder if they're going to have issues selling the STI as a result. If I were shopping, today, I certainly wouldn't spend the extra $10k on an STI (until they make a corresponding jump in performance). The increase in performance is great, but from an investment standpoint it's a waste, for me, at least, simply because I value that extra 5-10% of performance at less than $10k. I also wonder if they're going to alienate any potential WRX buyers by bumping it up; I doubt it, but it's possible. I suppose those people who would have bought the WRX can always buy a Legacy or the GT, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    2008 STI tested out 0-60 at 4.9 seconds.
    They tested the 2009 wrx 0-60 at 4.8 seconds!!

They got a 1/4 mile of 13.5 @ 101.1 (a single TENTH slower than the STI's 13.4 @ 10X.X)

I was considering the mazdaspeed3...but SOA just won my vote! Im off to the dealership!

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - Testing the 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door - Motor Trend

So....They are side by side with the 09 having a "license plate frame " edge?

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice,Subaru is finally giving us a stage 2 WRX .
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Transmission & Brakes

Has SOA solved the problem of a weak 5 Speed? There is your 10K difference. Better 6 speed transmission and bigger brakes.

Thank you SOA
    ****PHOTOSHOP SKILLS THAT PAY THE BILLS****

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcmahan12 View Post
    Has SOA solved the problem of a weak 5 Speed? There is your 10K difference. Better 6 speed transmission and bigger brakes.
    Certainly worth it for some...not really for me. I don't track my car, and don't really engage in activities that are beyond the capabilities of stock WRX brakes. The 6-speed would be nice for sure...but not worth a 10K premium.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

But it IS faster than the STI. Only in the 0-60 test though.

Yes its true the STI is faster in all other tests (1/4...(barely)...slalom, figure 8, skid pad, etc etc etc) And yes the STI is a better all around package (Yes I would still buy a left over 08 if I could come up with another 5k)

BUT the 09 did test at 4.8 and the STI tested at 4.9. Yes this is just 0-60 but in this test it IS in fact quicker! I dont really see how you can argue its not.

The part you quoted about being almost a second slower was talking about being a "tenth slower" is in the 1/4 mile, not the 0-60.

It is one tenth QUICKER than the sti 0-60 and one tenth SLOWER than the sti in the 1/4.

Granted a 1/10 of a second is just that...not a huge amount. But still after seeing this this test (I trust their testing to be uniform, at least compared to themselves...kinda like dyno's) I feel comfortable saying the 09 wrx is "as fast" as the sti *(again, in the 0-60 department)

0-60 is where its at for me... And no if I got one I wouldnt try to repeat that 4.8 twice a week or the tranny and half shafts would be in pieces all of my local town. BUT even with a moddest/softer launch (not dropping the clutch) should be within half a second of their times (which would be 5.3) still a VERY respectable 0-60 time for not doing a half-shaft-raping launch.

Sure I would LOVE to have the handling/look (mmm Wide body ) and features of the STI (brembo's anyone?) BUT as a pure straight line performance stand point...the WRX takes the cake being 250 pounds lighter.

Now...if only the 5 speed can handle this power (plus hopefully a tune/exhaust) I will be all over this. I am going to let the general public be my guinea pig to see how many grenaded trannies these turn out.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Wow....that's pretty awesome. I didnt' expect it to be doing that well compared to an STi
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

very nice

A 13 second brand new car for 25k and all wheel drive unheard of guess mitsibuishi is gonna have to step their game up...

Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    Now...if only the 5 speed can handle this power (plus hopefully a tune/exhaust) I will be all over this. I am going to let the general public be my guinea pig to see how many grenaded trannies these turn out.
    In terms of grenaded transmissions, it can't be too better off than tuned stage 2 WRXs from prior years. Plus, like you said, there's a big difference between a 4.8 and a 5.3 in terms of wear on the car. I'd bet hard street driving will be just fine for these cars.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast