2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think it would really depend on what city driving is to you. Where I live city traffic is 55mph ...

I think it would really depend on what city driving is to you. Where I live city traffic is 55mph with a few 45mph zones. My WRX works well for this. But for downtown city with all that 20mph bumper to bumper crap the STi gear ratios would probably suit it better. The WRX does have a huge mph gap between 1st and 2nd. The STi, which someone noted took 3 shifts to the 2 shifts a WRX has to get to 60, would probably do better going from 0-20-15-30-0 again.

I know with my WRX I have to play with the clutch A LOT for that type of driving.(HATE downtown driving)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    welcome aboard Certainly a buyer's market for car buying these days!
    Thanks for the warm welcome

Still getting aclimated to this new type of internet interaction. We all know the hostility flooding the Honda/Acura forums. I like this crowd more anyways. More relaxed and easy going.
    Last edited by Street2uned; 12-19-2008 at 12:21 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Street2uned View Post
    I like this crowd more anyways. More relaxed and easy going.
    And just what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Kidding. Welcome to the board.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yaay! Revival of old thread!

was it ever verified 100% that the new WRX had a beefed up transmission similar to the treatment the STIs 6 speed has?

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    basically the same five speed w/ some very minor tweaks- not nearly as stout at the six speed (but stout enough if one operates his car prudently )
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

hmm, ok then, was expecting a better answer, but if thats the case then nothing you can do...
    I was told a few times the transmission is much better on the 09+ and had similar treatment to the gears like the STI did

^this is true... However other factors take place in the transmission also... The STi 6 speed is still stronger then even the 09, 10's transmission. Although they did have significant upgrades...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

but if I were to assume that subaru at least made the wrx 5 speed strong enough to handle the new 265hp, would I be correct?

I mean why would a company release something that its drive train can not handle stock power

We dont really know the limits of the new wrx 5 speed yet. There are people running well over 325ish break horses and haven't had any issues yet.

The whole reason Subaru changes the chemical and hardening process's to match that of the STi was because of the improvement in horse power.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I dunno about you guys, but I think my tranny sounds like it's got straight cut gears up until 3rd. I think the only real advantage the 6spd has over the 5spd is that there's less stress per gear because of the shorter ratios.

Your reverse gear is strait cut and thats the only one...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

That's why I said sounds like it.

They have a lot of gear whine, somewhere in between older WRX and PPG gears.

straight cut? isn't that another term for normal spur gear? are they supposed to be stronger? or just mesh up better?

is a normal gear helical?

Helical gears allow for a smoother engagement and much more quite operation. The straight cuts are stronger though.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

haha is anyone elses 5th gear a little sticky to shift from 4th to 5th just wondering if its just me or if its a known thing with this car or if i should get it looked at
    ***Stink Eye Mob 169***
    Stage 2 WRX Tuned by Brendan at Brentuning
    296 awhp
    317 awtq

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast