2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Oh yeah, i can verify that I was atleast at 65 mph in 2nd gear w/ the 09...

Oh yeah, i can verify that I was atleast at 65 mph in 2nd gear w/ the 09

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    clearly the WRX has closed some of the performance gap that existed between the two, but certainly not all of it

I think there are some REALLY good deals on 08 STi's as we speak- I've heard guys getting them out the door for 33k-ish

I don't think the STi is going away anytime soon
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

One of the Service managers at the dealer I got my 08wrx said the same thing about Subaru appearing to phase out the STi.

That dealer has 11 STi's starting at 29k now, AND STILL CANT MOVE THEM.. but the 08's and 09 wrx's cant even be kept in stock..

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    clearly the WRX has closed some of the performance gap that existed between the two, but certainly not all of it

I think there are some REALLY good deals on 08 STi's as we speak- I've heard guys getting them out the door for 33k-ish

I don't think the STi is going away anytime soon
    Im currently going back and forth with a dealer here in NJ. You could do MUCH better than $33k right now. Im going to look at a 08 STI tonight, Blue base model STI. MSRP is $35k, offered to me at $26k. ($7000 below MSRP) add in the 0% financing its hard not to go with the STI over the 09 WRX. I drove both the 09 WRX and a 08 STI, I will be VERY happy in either. I can get the 09 Premium at MVP pricing which will only be $1000 less than the STI, but 3.9% financing. If they up the offer on my trade I may be coming home with a STI tonight!!!!
    Bryan

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Sounds like they're giving you crap for your trade but giving you a hell of a deal on the '08 STI. It's usually the other way around. No clue about your trade but I would buy an STI for $26k if I came across that offer. I paid $23,800 for my WRX for Christ's sake. Although, it was the almighty '06 fast4r...
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Thats the deal they will give ANYONE who is looking for a 08 STI. My trade is a 2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 CrewCab. KBB trade in value is $14,500-$15,500. I was offered $11k. Told him that another dealer offered $14500 he replied "we have never been beat on price". So we will see what he ups my trade offer to.

The dealer is only a mile down the road from the Subaru National headquarters. Maybe they are being instructed to unload the 08 STI's. Cause I know the 09 STI they have wont move til the 08's are long gone.
    Bryan

I Support ClubWRX
    the deals on the 08 STi's are getting better no doubt, just read about a guy getting one for 29k out the door- 0% financing for 63 months! that certainly would tempt many

Damn, after hearing all these specials that they have going for the 08 STi's I'm half tempted to go trade in my 08 WRX and pick one up. Guess we'll see what happnens and what the wifey has to say.
    Last edited by CJ05; 12-09-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Car and Driver

C&D stated in their article...

"And when we say "plenty," we mean it: the revised WRX now blasts to 60 mph from a standstill in an electrifying 4.7 seconds. That's 1.1 seconds quicker than the 2008 model—and get this—0.3 second quicker than we've managed in a WRX STI, the supposedly higher-performance version of the WRX. The fact that the WRX is now substantially quicker seems absolutely bonkers, but there are a couple of good explanations. First, the WRX STI weighs a hearty 180 pounds more than the base WRX, according to our scales. Second, the STI and its closer-ratio six-speed manual call for two shifts to 60, while the regular WRX's five speed hits 60 mph in second gear. By the time the pair travel a quarter-mile, the '09 WRX loses some ground, though; both cross the line at 102 mph, with the base Rex edging out the STI by just 0.1 second, 13.5 to 13.6."

Of course there are a million variables that can be picked at and argued over all day, but overall the 09 is really doing well according to all the reviews. I'm happy to see that SOA has stepped up to the challenge brought out by the Ralliart. I'll be combing through the Subaru dealerships next month for one of my own. *cough*...time to trade in the Honda...*cough*

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome aboard Certainly a buyer's market for car buying these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Street2uned View Post
    I'm happy to see that SOA has stepped up to the challenge brought out by the Ralliart.
    I think the challenge from other cars is also substantial. Look to Chevy, for example, and you can soon get a 300HP car for less than the WRX, no need to even mention the STi... There is quite a bit of competition out there at this point, now that the WRX is more of a road car than a rally car...
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

So i don't think anybody has brought up the point that the STI has to hit the 2-3 shift in order to hit 60 where as the wrx only has to get second (i think anyways). Anybody have any guesses what an STI would run in the 0-60 with some different gearing ratios. I've heard the 2-3 shift eats up 2-3 tenths.

I'm only trying to justify spending the extra 10,000 on the STI

Yeah, some one mentioned that earlier. I dont understand how that is but probably because the STi was designed for rally where hitting 60 isnt as important as getting around sharp corners while flooring in low gears. Cant do that in a WRX..you would have to gas it, steer, clutch, shift and gas all in that turn with a WRX....my experience any way.

Quote Originally Posted by 08 Beast View Post
    Yeah, some one mentioned that earlier. I dont understand how that is but probably because the STi was designed for rally where hitting 60 isnt as important as getting around sharp corners while flooring in low gears. Cant do that in a WRX..you would have to gas it, steer, clutch, shift and gas all in that turn with a WRX....my experience any way.
    That makes the STi sound better for city driving also, doesn't it.
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    That makes the STi sound better for city driving also, doesn't it.
    100%. Having driven both the 09 WRX and now owning an 08 STI, the STI has much, MUCH better gearing for town driving. Even my wife agrees, and you NEVER argue with the wife.
    2010 SSM STI

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast