2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; that dyno clearly explains why this car feels so torquey compared to either of my previous 2.0's (even my wife ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    that dyno clearly explains why this car feels so torquey compared to either of my previous 2.0's (even my wife has stated several times how "quick" this car feels )

even keeping revs to 4k, you can feel the torque AND this is bare bone stock
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    must feel nice
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris76 View Post
    I am so sick of this "whole new animal" thing. It is the same freaking car with the tweaks done that most owners do themselves. Open your eyes. If you took an 08 and an 09 and upgraded the suspension's turbo's intercooler's etc on both (which all of you nuts normally do) you would end up with the SAME CAR!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH.
    It's same in terms of external, but the numbers are no where near it. Thus making it a different car. Obviously, an 08 would be on par or better after modifcations, but the 09, out the box, is just the better car.

Perform the same upgrades done on the 09 (you speak of) and it will be ahead of the 08 model; given we're talking about the same upgrade path.

I would have hard time to believe if you were given the chance to choose between 08 and 09 that you would choose the latter. But you're entitled to your own opinion.

Cheers!

that dyno clearly explains why this car feels so torquey compared to either of my previous 2.0's (even my wife has stated several times how "quick" this car feels )

This is awesome! From time to time, I would complain about my 05 of the lack of torque, even at stage 2, under normal driving conditions. I'm looking forward owning this one!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 10-31-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX View Post
    Perform the same upgrades done on the 09 (you speak of) and it will be ahead of the 08 model; given we're talking about the same upgrade path.

I would have hard time to believe if you were given the chance to choose between 08 and 09 that you would choose the latter. But you're entitled to your own opinion.
    The upgrades the poster you quoted mentioned would yield pretty much the same amount of power in the '08 and '09.

An '08 and '09 with the same turbo, intercooler, pipes, and tune will yield the same amount of power*.

That being said, you're going to have to spend more than the cost difference between an '08 and '09 making the '08 into the '09 while also voiding your warranty.

Personally, I want my '08 to be at a Stage 2 '09 which means I'm going to have to spend money on an '09 turbo and intercooler, as well as a TBE and a tune**. An '09 owner merely would have to get a TBE and tune.

Given the choice, I'd MUCH RATHER start with an '09.

*The '09 starts with way better tires, wheels and suspension as well but I'm only making a point about the engine.

**This doesn't even take into account the money I'm going to have to spend on the suspension. '09 = better starting point

I Support ClubWRX
    I am so sick of this "whole new animal" thing. It is the same freaking car with the tweaks done that most owners do themselves. Open your eyes. If you took an 08 and an 09 and upgraded the suspension's turbo's intercooler's etc on both (which all of you nuts normally do) you would end up with the SAME CAR!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post
    An '08 and '09 with the same turbo, intercooler, pipes, and tune will yield the same amount of power*.
    Yes, obviously... but I really doubt anyone would buy 09 oem parts to upgrade an 08. The turbo on the 09 alone is already bigger than 08's.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasmonky3 View Post
    '09 = better starting point
    This is basically what I was trying to say. The 09 is simply not the same as the 08 in terms of power, handling, potentials, etc.

Anyway, I'm a bit confuse with your response.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-02-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

When I went to the dealer looking for a car I went looking for a WRX to mod. I am lucky that I am in the position that voiding the warranty and having to fix parts out of pocket is not an issue, although my dealer has agreed to warranty anything that THEY install. I chose the 08 because after beating them down on price I got a brand new 08 WRX with every available option a short throw shifter and an SPT CBE for $22,500. The same 09 would cost around 30k. For about 5k I will end up with a car that surpasses the 09 in terms of power and handling and I am still under the price of a new 09. I am also currently looking at throwing caution to the wind and upgrading to full stage IV with NOS, but we will see. I have three other cars that I am having fun with as well and my new Audi R8 is at the top of the list.

I am glad someone saw my main point that if you mod a 08 and a 09 with all of the same engine and suspension parts you will end up with the same car. The 09 is just a factory tuned 08 and I myself have always found that aftermarket performance parts are far superior to "factory" performance parts. So other than the SPT CBE none of my upgrades will be Subaru parts.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am glad someone saw my main point that if you mod a 08 and a 09 with all of the same engine and suspension parts you will end up with the same car. The 09 is just a factory tuned 08 and I myself have always found that aftermarket performance parts are far superior to "factory" performance parts. So other than the SPT CBE none of my upgrades will be Subaru parts.
    At the end of the day, though, a Stage 2 '09 will likely be somewhat faster than a Stage 2 '08. Bigger turbo means better breathing nets more power. 90% of the people here will never venture past stock (in which the '09 is faster), and almost all of the rest will never want to make the commitment of messing with a turbo transplant, and so will stop at or before Stage 2. (meaning the '09 is faster)

It seems to be very important to you that everyone approve of your purchase. Why worry about it? You have a nice car that you like. My stage 2 bugeye is nothing write home about at the dragstrip or roadcourse...I couldn't care less.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

You know Ray, you are right. Since I bit the bullet on my 08 I have loved it, but have second guessed my decision ever since. I was tolling around in it today and even thought that the current setup may just be enough. I rarely drive over the speed limit and honestly bought this as a car that I would have fun with going on day trips with my wife and daughter. It seems like most of the members here do much the same type of thing. So I guess at the end of the day the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't matter much when you are sitting in traffic to go pick some apples. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    You know Ray, you are right. Since I bit the bullet on my 08 I have loved it, but have second guessed my decision ever since. I was tolling around in it today and even thought that the current setup may just be enough. I rarely drive over the speed limit and honestly bought this as a car that I would have fun with going on day trips with my wife and daughter. It seems like most of the members here do much the same type of thing. So I guess at the end of the day the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't matter much when you are sitting in traffic to go pick some apples. Thanks.
    Hey, at the end of the day, I, and most bugeye/blobeye owners have to be envious of your 2.5l engine, so you're already doing better than 90% of WRX drivers out there.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Most interesting article. If the rumors about the tranny are true, then that extra 10k could be used to go stage 2 AND have far better suspension than the STi with a little change leftover. It's all personal preference in the end I guess.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

What kind of idiot would believe numbers from Motor Trend?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What kind of idiot would believe numbers from Motor Trend?
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Since when did Motor Trend start printing numbers that were at all realistic, reliable, or trustworthy?
    How many times do you need to say this?

Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    09 wrx dyno - AOL Video

230/272... I love under-rating
    Just slightly under a stock GD STi with MORE torque....hrm..

not true car and Driver reports 4.7 0->60
    Yet, another magazine that reports similar 0-60...

I wouldn't believe, in this case, that the numbers are unreliable. Drivers accuse magazines of being skewed because they can't drive their OWN cars through the quarter mile with a time the magazine is reflecting. That's probably the biggest problem. With all this information there isn't a doubt in my mind that this new wrx can run down the quarter in 13.5.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    no doubt the car magazines are probably a little harsh when laying those numbers down, but clearly after seeing the dynograph the numbers appear to be very realistic
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I just got the 2009 wrx this past weekend and I've got to say that I am really impressed. I was really skeptical about getting a hatchback (as I was debating between a 2005 sti or 2009 wrx) but I'm really happy with my decision.

As far as the WRX being nearly as quick as the STI, from the people I talked 2 at the subaru dealership, they pretty much said that they thought subaru is trying to get rid of the STI. I mean, there was no possible way I was going to spend 8k-10k more (i believe wine was around 27k) for an sti when the specs are so close to that of the wrx. It's not just the power, the suspension and others aspects of the 09 are different. It's actually pretty funy b/c yesterday I was hitting it in 2nd gear and I could not even tell I was nearly at 7000 rpm b/c the engine sounds so calm.

anyways, just giving some feedback.

-chip

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast