2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Since when did Motor Trend start printing numbers that were at all realistic, reliable, or trustworthy?...

Since when did Motor Trend start printing numbers that were at all realistic, reliable, or trustworthy?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Launching these cars (1st gear) is not the issue. I don't think I've read one case of an '06+ WRX breaking 1st, it's primarily 3rd gear that breaks b/c of it's ratio and excess torque of the 2.5L.
    I think it was mostly silly geese that abused their cars that made those trannies pop.

09 wrx dyno - AOL Video

230/272... I love under-rating

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    09 wrx dyno - AOL Video

nice!!
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by r00st View Post
    09 wrx dyno - AOL Video

was that to the wheels?
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy crap. A torquey little bastage.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I would take Motor Trends numbers with a grain of salt. They have so far posted the fastest numbers for the 09 WRX. Everyone else is posting between 5.6 and 5.4. That is a big difference. I do not think that their driver's are that much better as to squeeze the extra time out of the car. I would think that MT's numbers being inflated is the more likely culpret.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris76 View Post
    I would take Motor Trends numbers with a grain of salt. They have so far posted the fastest numbers for the 09 WRX. Everyone else is posting between 5.6 and 5.4. That is a big difference. I do not think that their driver's are that much better as to squeeze the extra time out of the car. I would think that MT's numbers being inflated is the more likely culpret.
    not true car and Driver reports 4.7 0->60
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I am surprised that 40 hp would make it a whole second faster than the 08 wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris76 View Post
    I am surprised that 40 hp would make it a whole second faster than the 08 wrx.
    0-60 is going to be more about torque, not so much hp.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I see. I am going to Stage II soon so hope to get my 0-60 times up. If that goes well will upgrade to Stage IV by the summer.

The numbers are to the wheels So essentially the motor puts out 290 hp & 340 ft/lbs at the flywheel (motor) which is NUTz!!!

Think about it this way...270 WTQ, 200 lbs lighter than STI and only 2 gears to 60mph, where STi has to hit 3rd (good for a couple tenths).

And I dont think any magazines have the 09 at 5.5-5.7? I think are you are thinking of 08 wrx numbers which are 5.5-5.8.

The 09 is a whole new animal

I am so sick of this "whole new animal" thing. It is the same freaking car with the tweaks done that most owners do themselves. Open your eyes. If you took an 08 and an 09 and upgraded the suspension's turbo's intercooler's etc on both (which all of you nuts normally do) you would end up with the SAME CAR!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH.

...somebody forgot to take their calm the F%&CK down pill!

Everyone has different opinions...you can have yours and I will keep mine.

I personally am sick of hearing people say that the 09 is the same as the 08 after you change the:
    Tune
    Sways
    Tires
    Springs
    ...not to mention the body pieces that are standard now (only on the 08 premium...so add that in to the price as well).

Some of us dont like ****ing with warranty work so the fewer mods the better... Im sure the 09 will respond to a tune just as well as the 08, so its not a comparison. If you are talking about price, its not that large of a difference.. Even if you dump a few grand into the 08 (costing the same/more than the 09, to essentially get the same thing) your warranty will be pretty much fubar'd...

Go take a nap or something...your blood pressure is going to kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    not true car and Driver reports 4.7 0->60
    I have no doubt that this car does sub-5.0 sec runs to 60, no doubt at all. There is going to be a .5 second variance just due to launch techniques. At this point, I think an '09 would be such an upgrade in power from the '02 that there's no point in even dreaming of the STi any longer.

I wonder if an open diff in the rear actually contributes to faster 0-60 times even due to less drive-train loss??
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.