2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX faster than 2008 STI! Must read article (Motor Trend) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ya...if I have AWD and a 13.5 second car that can pull 4.8 0-60's I dont think I can own ...

Ya...if I have AWD and a 13.5 second car that can pull 4.8 0-60's I dont think I can own the car and NOT do a launch a couple of times!

Now im not the type of person to be doing it at every stop light either. There is mention of the legacy gears in here, but that is still up in the air. Hopefully they will stand up to a few 1/4 mile passes and some moderately aggressive everyday driving. The thing that turns me off about the ms3 (besides the power falling flat on its FACE @ 5200 rpm) is that the motor's tend to pop occasionally (no fuel pump + mods = boom) also leaking/popping turbo's.

I am buying a NEW car for a NEW car warranty. I will be making damn sure I dont void it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by josnroh View Post
    Nice,Subaru is finally giving us a stage 2 WRX .
    About time.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Launching these cars (1st gear) is not the issue. I don't think I've read one case of an '06+ WRX breaking 1st, it's primarily 3rd gear that breaks b/c of it's ratio and excess torque of the 2.5L.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    Launching these cars (1st gear) is not the issue. I don't think I've read one case of an '06+ WRX breaking 1st, it's primarily 3rd gear that breaks b/c of it's ratio and excess torque of the 2.5L.
    Well when i bought my 06 WRX, 2 STIs were in the shop for 1st gear disintegrating because of abuse. If you push it hard enough...it will break. I'm sure the 5 speed wouldn't last as long as the 6-speed would.

Also I drive my car not like a normal person but not really abusive and after 15k miles apparently I have 95% break life in the back and 90% in the front. And having dedicated summer and winter tires will make them last twice as long. So wear on my car is fairly low.

As far as the new WRX, it is kinda making that $10k gap seem not worth it though...maybe they will surprise us with a 350 hp STI? Maybe even not be a hatchback?!?!...don't we wish...
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    Well when i bought my 06 WRX, 2 STIs were in the shop for 1st gear disintegrating because of abuse. If you push it hard enough...it will break. I'm sure the 5 speed wouldn't last as long as the 6-speed would.

Also I drive my car not like a normal person but not really abusive and after 15k miles apparently I have 95% break life in the back and 90% in the front. And having dedicated summer and winter tires will make them last twice as long. So wear on my car is fairly low.

As far as the new WRX, it is kinda making that $10k gap seem not worth it though...maybe they will surprise us with a 350 hp STI? Maybe even not be a hatchback?!?!...don't we wish...
    A 350hp STi.......? From the factory?.....that sounds damn nice sir. Who knows? I'm still in shock over the '09 rex.
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

I just find it silly to jump on the 0.1 second faster to 60 mph on one trial and saying it's a faster car.

0.1 is well within driver abilities. Yes it's the same mag, but different days different conditions possibly different locations etc etc etc

I mean if you want to magazine race I guess that's okay...

I'd actually say that 0.1 is actually quite a lot. I'm not a professional driver and my launches at a ProSolo are consistent to within a few hundredths.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 10-15-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

It is not just the tenth of a second it is quicker than the STI... It is the fact the old 0-60 (08) was about a SECOND slower.

To drop a SECOND on the 0-60 time is HUGE. Not to mention a 26k dollar car doing a 0-60 in 4.8 regardless is impressive.

You can argue "magazine racing" on any car's times...but if you compare cars under the same testing (same place testing...ie motor trend) I have no problem comparing numbers. Sure half the 09 owners out there may only be able to squeak out a 5 flat or a 5.3...but its still nice to know what the car is truly capable of.

Same goes for the STI...so they say it pulls a 4.9...but the average driver (without a lot of practice) will probably be pulling 5.1's - 5.4's.

I think using the AP my highest was about 8 seconds 0-60. This was without launching and without banging gears(ie actually waiting for the rpms to drop).

Can anyone beat that?!?!.....didn't think so!
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    whatever the number- the 09 is pretty quick 0->60

R&T had the number at 5.1
    the Subaru brochure at 5.4
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Plainly awesome. I would expect given the weight to power ratio that the '09s should clock in around 5 secs for 0-60, give or take a few gear teeth.
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

2nd gear on the 5-speed reaches 62mph (at least it did on my bugeye).

the STi requires two shifts to reach 60mph.

i actually applaud Subaru for not F!*&$ng up the STi's gearing for the sake of the overanalyzed, ultimately useless 0-60 test.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

you guys do realize that if you bought a new wrx right now for base price that it wouldn't be that fast. Motortrend said they had a as tested price of more than 28 grand, and subaru sells modifications for the wrx as extras. Therefore it is possible that the wrx tested by motortrend had things like subies short throw shifter etc. So you can't just say that the new wrx is that quick right away, other cars could be that quick with a few mods too. It is still a really awesome car.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good point on the extra shift

the model they had was the premium, thus the extra cost

the base model weighs less and could possibly even faster yet

the only option to make the car any faster would be the SPT cat back- would guess a 10 hp-ish gain from the freeing flower cat back
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 10-18-2008 at 08:16 AM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Banned
    Here we go...

I knew it wasn't long before the same crap I read at NASIOC spilled over here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.