Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II)
Page 1 of 66 123456789101151 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some of you have may have peeked at my previous Project Wagon thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/suspen...on-begins.html that project has come to end ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II)

Some of you have may have peeked at my previous Project Wagon thread:

Project wagon begins!

that project has come to end , but a new project begins w/ my 2009 WRX hatch

I decided to post this thread in Every Day as while my old project was housed in the Suspension forum- it touched on much more than suspension/brakes, as will this thread

my old project (which btw has found a new happy home in Calgary):

my brand new spanking project

I had pre-ordered the car and it arrived Friday, picked it up w/ a whopping 3 miles on it

the car was ordered w/ just a few options- dimming mirror, extended center rest, rear cargo net (can't have a grocery getter w/o one of those! ), STi short shifter (both my previous WRX's had these as well- a must in my book- this time for a change I didn't have to install it), body side molding and a block heater- can't not have one of those in Montana

my goals for this car are not much different than my previous car, build a reliable car that can perform daily grocery getting duties, but that can also perform weekend duties admirably-canyon/mtn carving, track days and autox- basically trying to optimize what the WRX is famous for- the swiss knife of cars

these of course means some compromise in almost everything that is done- such is life

my initial thoughts:

this car is very good (very good) right off the showroom floor- without any doubt the highest performing WRX to debut thus far

while I have a long way to go w/ break in, I can tell you that coming from a 2.0 and going to a 2.5- the torque down low is much improved, I can also comment that this turbo is far from laggy

handling- for an all oe car very impressive. I drove two 08's previously and they were very soft, this car is not soft- the spring rates have been bumped up over 40%- past the previous gen WRX "pinks", the sway bars are bumped up ~ 20% over the 08 as well

add in 225/45/17 Dunlop SP Sport 01's and you have a out of the box good handling car, while the 01's don't have the outright dry grip of some of the "super tires" it does have good grip- the grip breaks off predictably and they are communicative at their limit- probably why Subaru chose this tire (my guess is they perform well in the wet too)

don't get me wrong- there is lots of room for improvement, but for a lot of folks a good alignment (and some brake pads-braking is not overly impressive) and they may just call it good

my big "mod" for the day was de-badging the rear trunk- the dealer added a sticker, Subaru saw fit to add S U B A R U, I M P R E Z A and W R X

I felt WRX was sufficient

Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 02-19-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    We look forward to the transformation ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

DUB
    w00t! *subscribed*

Deja vue all over again. It will be fun watching again.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

congrats on the 09, you'll love it!
    How long did they tell you the "break in period" is?
    ****PHOTOSHOP SKILLS THAT PAY THE BILLS****

Quote Originally Posted by dub View Post
    w00t! *subscribed*
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOOSTIN View Post
    congrats on the 09, you'll love it!
    How long did they tell you the "break in period" is?
    1000 miles- try and keep rpms 4000 and under, vary speeds, avoid cruise

I always change oil the first time at 1000 miles as well

They told me the same thing, it's soo hard to stay under 4K, I ventured out to 5K a time or two, hope I didn't hurt anything
    ****PHOTOSHOP SKILLS THAT PAY THE BILLS****

Subscribing. Congratulations on the new car and project!
    TEH KILLZOR PANDA WRX.
    Mods - Cardomain
    Me - Myspace

Cool beans!

I'll base my next possible used WRX car purchase off of your progress BigSky, so you better make us proud!

I like the white!

I didn't bother to search... Did they bring back the rear LSD?

What are the brake options out there?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Car looks great. It seems to have less rear but more front overhang than your previous wagon, but that could just be the photo angle. How is the hatch space compared to the previous wagon space? Also, to clarify -- you are saying you think the car is stiffer than if it had pinks on it since they've added 40% spring rate compared to the 08, not that it's 40% stiffer than pinks (or is that the same thing)? How are the headlights compared to the wagon with HIR bulbs? How are bumps absorbed now? Rattles?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    *subscribed*
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Cool beans!

I'll base my next possible used WRX car purchase off of your progress BigSky, so you better make us proud!

I like the white!

I didn't bother to search... Did they bring back the rear LSD?

What are the brake options out there?
    nope- no lsd

the front brakes are the same as the 03-5's- thus good pad/rotor selection, the rears share the same platform as the 3.0 Outbacks- quite a bit bigger rotor than the 03-05's (286 vs 266) basically it comes w/ the "H6" mod already- pad selection at this point is poor to fair- I suspect that to change

Good chance I'll be looking at the LGT front calipers/rotors- 316x30, rear should be fine (sans finding a good pad)

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Car looks great. It seems to have less rear but more front overhang than your previous wagon, but that could just be the photo angle. How is the hatch space compared to the previous wagon space? Also, to clarify -- you are saying you think the car is stiffer than if it had pinks on it since they've added 40% spring rate compared to the 08, not that it's 40% stiffer than pinks (or is that the same thing)? How are the headlights compared to the wagon with HIR bulbs? How are bumps absorbed now? Rattles?
    definitely less rear overhang, pretty close to the same in front (my estimation)

less hatch space behind the rear seat, more hatch space w/ the seats folded down

spring rates are 40% over the oe 08 rates, car is similar in stiffness to a 2 gen w/ WRX "pinks"- makes sense as the "pink" rates are ~ 224/196, the 09 rates are 216/193

haven't had a good chance to see how the headlights are (they do have a projector low beam)- there are some bulb upgrades available as well

bumps- you can tell there is a fair amount of compression damping in the struts/shocks- you can feel certain expansion joints/small bumps- much like w/ the Koni dampers (which also run a fair amount of compression damping)

rattle free thus far- knock on wood

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Mike,
    congrats on the new scooby hatchling
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX

By the numbers

some dimensional numbers for the 09 hatch

curb weight (base model- other trims go up in weight) 3175 lbs

for comparo the 04 WRX's were sedan 3085, wagon 3165 lbs
    the 06 WRX's were sedan 3192, wagon 3252 lbs

* the 08/09's have a one gallon larger fuel tank, all weights w/ full fluids/std eqipment

weight ratio F/R 57/43&#37;

for comparo gen 2 sedan 59/41, wagon 57.5/42.5%

wheel base 103.1"

for comparo gen 2's 99.4"

track width F/R 58.9/59.3"

for comparo gen 2 sedan 58.5/58.3, wagon 57.7/57.3
    2004 STi 58.7/58.5

you can see track width was bumped up a little w/ the gen 3

CD (coefficient of drag) .34
    gen 2's .33

my guess is w/ the slightly wider track, frontal increased- thus the small jump in cd
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 10-05-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Page 1 of 66 123456789101151 ... LastLast