Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 66 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Devious1Josh Looking good Mike! Let me know when you guys are in town we'll have to do ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious1Josh View Post
    Looking good Mike! Let me know when you guys are in town we'll have to do dinner... Maybe "Mustard Seed?" Haha.
    I almost made it up Friday (and was going to bring your splitter/seal) but they didn't get all my parts in at the dealership

maybe next week, definitely up fro the Mustard Seed

^ very much liking the wagon (hatch)- once you get used to the extra space tough going to a sedan
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

your cars turning out nice.. keep it up and posted

subscribed

I'm glad to see Subaru jumped on improving the new car so quickly. Looking forward to your progress!
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

tod
    [/QUOTE]

Hmmm, those with the LARGER OEM antenna will now view you with antenna envy..... ironic twist.
    Four wheels = Japan
    Two wheels = Italy

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm, those with the LARGER OEM antenna will now view you with antenna envy..... ironic twist.[/QUOTE]

Nice new WRX! I am considering one myself. I am also a D-stock autoxer -- I drive a 2004 BMW 330i with the ZHP performance package. I think the '09 WRX will be a better DS car than the 330i, but I also think the Cobalt SS and 135i will end up as the top cars in the class.

I'm having a tough time deciding between my 330i and a new WRX. The 330i looks nicer to me, is more refined, and gets better fuel economy. Plus, I like the feel of rear drive in a well-balanced chassis. The BMW brakes have incredible feel and power, and the engine is torquey, silky smooth, and sounds great. And I've always liked BMWs.

The WRX has the advantages of AWD and a hatchback, which make it a more practical year-round car that can carry the dog, snowboards, a bicycle, etc. Plus, it will be a better autox car. It would cost a few thousand more than I could get for the BMW, plus I'd take the depreciation hit on a new car. I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling, though. The interior is pretty nice, though.

I need to go and actually drive one to help me decide. I may do that today or tomorrow.

I Support ClubWRX
    first welcome aboard

I also like a RWD car, if I lived in a more southern clime I might very well be in one. I can't tell you how nice it is in the winter to be driving on snow tires combined w/ AWD. I really don't think there is a better handling (read safer) car in the winter than a Subaru + snow tires.

The flip side is come summer, a swap of wheels/tires and you have a pretty formidable handling car.

I equate the WRX to a swiss army knife- it can damn near do anything (grocery getter to track days) and while there will always be cars that can do certain things better, I can't think of another car that does them all so well

A test drive would certainly give you a much better idea.

I agree the both the Cobalt and 135i will prove to be formidable opponents (not to mention several other cars- D Stock is going to be a very tough class to compete in- they all are for that matter )

Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Nice new WRX! I am considering one myself. I am also a D-stock autoxer -- I drive a 2004 BMW 330i with the ZHP performance package. I think the '09 WRX will be a better DS car than the 330i, but I also think the Cobalt SS and 135i will end up as the top cars in the class.

I'm having a tough time deciding between my 330i and a new WRX. The 330i looks nicer to me, is more refined, and gets better fuel economy. Plus, I like the feel of rear drive in a well-balanced chassis. The BMW brakes have incredible feel and power, and the engine is torquey, silky smooth, and sounds great. And I've always liked BMWs.

The WRX has the advantages of AWD and a hatchback, which make it a more practical year-round car that can carry the dog, snowboards, a bicycle, etc. Plus, it will be a better autox car. It would cost a few thousand more than I could get for the BMW, plus I'd take the depreciation hit on a new car. I'm not a big fan of the exterior styling, though. The interior is pretty nice, though.

I need to go and actually drive one to help me decide. I may do that today or tomorrow.
    that's why i drive a wrx and the lady friends drives a 330ci. best of both worlds.

The car is coming out great!

AST Suspenion ftmfw!
    "Eram Quod Es, Eris Quod Sum"
    LISC #144

- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (URABUS)
    - 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ the AST option is still on the table- it's pricey (compared to Koni dampers) though

the low beams on the 09 are better than my previous WRX's (02,04)- most likely due to the projector lamps

there is always room for improvement however

I replaced the oe high beam 9005 bulbs w/ HIR 9011's- this increases lumens from 1700 to 2530- I did this on my 04 and like it the difference is VERY noticable

you have to modify the bulb very slightly to get it to fit

I was going to replace the oe low beam H11's (55 watt) w/ H9's (65 watt) this increases lumens from 1350 to 2100! I don't think there would be issues w/ a 65 watt bulb, but I saw Ostram came out w/ a new bulb- the "nightbreaker" a +90 bulb that is 55 watts so I decided to give them a try

impressions- the nightbreaker puts out a very nice light, clearly better than the oe bulbs- I'm sure the H9 would put out more light, but I like the idea that this is a 55 watt bulb, the HIR high beams as expected are a large improvement over stock

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    ^ the AST option is still on the table- it's pricey (compared to Koni dampers) though
    Tell me about it. My AST Sportline II coilovers were quite the pretty penny.
    "Eram Quod Es, Eris Quod Sum"
    LISC #144

- 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (URABUS)
    - 2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Sold)

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey mike, where'd you get the bulbs?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    the low beams on the 09 are better than my previous WRX's (02,04)- most likely due to the projector lamps
    That's good. I felt it was dangerous to drive with the low-beams on the '02, I sometimes kept the high-beams on for safety, even with the foglights assisting. I especially noticed this at night on the freeway on mountain drives for example on the passes going towards Missoula.

By the way, have you encountered any gravel yet? I was just wondering how the tightened suspesion would do on gravel vs. the previous model year WRX's. I've read a few reviews of the '08 STi that said perhaps that soft suspension was due to setting it up to be decent on gravel as well as pavement, something that's lost on many people nowadays unfortunately...
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Hey mike, where'd you get the bulbs?
    daniel sterns store site- candlepowerinc.com

I've been on a couple of short stretches of gravel- not pushing it in the least bit- my guess is in stock form it would be pretty formidable on gravel- plenty of travel and while the springs are firmer than previous models- far from too firm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.