Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 63
+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 135354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sounds good. I just ordered some 5x100 56mm CB 5mm ebay alum spacers and will mill them down to what ...

Sounds good. I just ordered some 5x100 56mm CB 5mm ebay alum spacers and will mill them down to what I need. I went to mcmaster and a a 12"x24" sheet of 0.062 6061 was more than these spacers .

I just checked my car with 225 star specs and the only place I see that could rub inboard is the tire on the plastic liner that covers the chassis right where the shock mount hits the body. As my car sits, there is 7/8"-1" of space, however, given our rear suspension gains camber on compression, and the fact that there will be 10mm more rubber there with the 245s, I can see a risk of rubbing there.

Did you only rub on compression?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    can't beat that

I'm guessing so, but can't say for sure. If I drove the Hoosiers to church I don't think I'd have any problem w/ rubbing rubbing was fairly minor (and confined to inboard), but w/ expensive tires you want eek out every run possible
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Not really, due to the fact they use the same size rotor as the 2-pots. Better feel I've read, but that's about it.
    in case you're interested, I did a semi-scientific comparo of the 6pots vs stock

4pots installed on my 09: Impressions, measurements, specs, and semi-scientific tests - NASIOC

I was going to go the LGT route, but after getting my hands on some used LGT rotors and feeling how freakin heavy they are, I thought twice about it. For autocross, the feel is more important to me than heatsink. If I was at the track more often, I'd go with the LGT setup.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ agree fully, for autox you're simply adding unneeded weight; the opposed pistons of the four pots definitely allow better modulation as well (and they are a wee bit lighter too )

So I weighed the LGT wheels...they are 20.5lbs a pop not 19.5lbs. Oh well. At the price I paid I'm not going to complain. Tire rack just needs to get 245/40/17s in stock!

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ still pretty significantly lighter than oe

I Support ClubWRX
    time to freshen up the thread a little

winter is finally over and autox season begins soon

I noticed that my sway bar wasn't staying centered, the clamps that WL provides simply won't keep the sway bar from sliding left/right, I fixed that by adding two stainless hose clamps- not going anywhere now

it was time to get the tranny/rear diff fluids swapped (downshifts weren't as smooth as they could be)

ExtraS to the rescue- I'm actually making a dent in this bucket (after three WRX's! )

I purchased a T70 torx and a 13mm plug socket from these guys- nice quality on these

COMBO SETS / PACKAGES

also found out that the torque specs changed when they went w/ the copper gasket (vs the old aluminum one) torque is now 50.6 ft lbs (was 32 ft lbs w/ the aluminum gasket)

little hint on the tranny, the capacity is 3.7 quarts, but do NOT fill w/ the 3.7 quarts you will be overfilled by a bunch- after I add 2.5 quarts I start checking- it's usually right around 3 quarts needed

I've always used a 1/2 socket ratchet for the rear diff plugs, but could tell it wasn't a perfect fit- the 13mm plug socket fit perfectly

I use a very sophisticated device to fill the rear diff with, a specialty item you might have trouble finding

I've also switched to Rotella T6 5W40, GC was getting difficult to find (and usually pretty spendy)- the UOA's I've seen w/ the T6 have rivaled GC so I'm pretty confident w/ that oil choice

I'm going to try and eek my first event w/ my Hoosiers from last season, I've got two spares, but will need to come up w/ a couple of more- they are hard to find used

Question for you, I have the same sways that you have. I get some "clunks" from my front end when going over bumps or rough roads. Could that be from my sway moving around? The last time I was under my car I noticed that my clamps had moved as well. I'm wondering if I use steel clamps like you did if that will quiet things up. I wasn't sure if it was it, or maybe the perrin endlinks I installed. I noticed your still running the stockers, any plans on changing them up?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    very unlikely it's the collars, very likely it's the endlinks. First I'd check the torque on the links, if they loosen- they will clunk, oe or aftermarket

if that doesn't do it, then I'd get some good grease (like Neo HP800) and work into the bearings, if that doesn't quiet it down I'd give the stockers a go

the oe links are spherical links (top and bottom) and as such I see less reason to upgrade IMO, they do fail occasionally (the "head" pulls away from the link), but overall are pretty sturdy

I used a lot of different endlinks over the years and aftermarket spherical ones tended to get noisy over time, after several go's that route I decided to build my own- came up w/ a pretty good link, but it was a very spendy ordeal- quality spherical ends are expensive; if I do change from oe that's the route I'd go

I Support ClubWRX
    well I got lucky on ebay last night and scored what appears two nice used Hoosiers!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    very unlikely it's the collars, very likely it's the endlinks. First I'd check the torque on the links, if they loosen- they will clunk, oe or aftermarket

if that doesn't do it, then I'd get some good grease (like Neo HP800) and work into the bearings, if that doesn't quiet it down I'd give the stockers a go

the oe links are spherical links (top and bottom) and as such I see less reason to upgrade IMO, they do fail occasionally (the "head" pulls away from the link), but overall are pretty sturdy

I used a lot of different endlinks over the years and aftermarket spherical ones tended to get noisy over time, after several go's that route I decided to build my own- came up w/ a pretty good link, but it was a very spendy ordeal- quality spherical ends are expensive; if I do change from oe that's the route I'd go
    What advantages do spherical ones bring?

I recently put on the kartboy rear ones, and my rear end does seem to stay stuck better - hard difference to explain. Car still rolls, but the rear end seems to be more 'planted' than it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    spherical links that is little to deflection, w/ a regular link there is some deflection due to the bushing- even a firm bushing is going to deflect- w/o deflection the swaybar (or any suspension link) will "react" immediately

the down side to spherical bushings is they are generally (not always) louder and harsher- not so much the case w/ sway links vs other suspension links

the 08-11 WRX's are kind of unique in that the rear sway links are a combination spherical and bushing- spherical on top, bushing on the bottom, it wouldn't surprise me if the lower oe bushing is pretty soft so replacing these links w/ either firmer bushing ones or spherical ones would probably be a good upgrade

to further substantiate that, there is a Group N bushing replacement for the rear lower sway link- they only offer hardened bushings where they feel the oe ones are too soft

I Support ClubWRX
    spherical links that is little to deflection, w/ a regular link there is some deflection due to the bushing- even a firm bushing is going to deflect- w/o deflection the swaybar (or any suspension link) will "react" immediately

the down side to spherical bushings is they are generally (not always) louder and harsher- not so much the case w/ sway links vs other suspension links

the 08-11 WRX's are kind of unique in that the rear sway links are a combination spherical and bushing- spherical on top, bushing on the bottom, it wouldn't surprise me if the lower oe bushing is pretty soft so replacing these links w/ either firmer bushing ones or spherical ones would probably be a good upgrade

to further substantiate that, there is a Group N bushing replacement for the rear lower sway link- they only offer hardened bushings where they feel the oe ones are too soft
    Interesting. That lower bushing is soft, I will agree with that. Regardless, I think I need a new set of sways
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    alignment #'s were pretty close when we put it on the rack, toe was off a little, but still well within spec

I was able to eek out -1.4/side up front- took a little doing, but we got it set the front/rear toe to 0.00, so I should be good to go

Are you limited by rules to run the factory end links? I noticed when I swapped mine out on my '10 there was a huge difference (22mm wl bar) between the feel of factory links and the aftermarket links. I've since gone to a Perrin 25mm bar on stiff setting and kartboy endlinks. Its silent as factory as well as being super responsive. I do still have the factory rear end links though (20mm wl bar on stiff setting). I'm curious how much of a difference changing the rear links will make. Is it similar to the difference I felt up front?

I also worked out a clamp set up similar to what you did with your fsb. The Perrin 25mm bar has no provision to keep it centered, so I used some left over 1" dia coolant hose and cut two 1" long sections out of it.. slit each down the center and slipped them over the bar on outside edge of the mount bushings. Used some wider 1.25-1.5" dia hose clamps to crank em down in place. So far the bar hasn't moved at all with me driving like I stole it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.