Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 60
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 105051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 09rexwagon What tire pressures were you running? I run the fronts 38-40lbs and the rears have been ...

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    What tire pressures were you running?
    I run the fronts 38-40lbs and the rears have been tested from 28 to 58 lbs. with me settling on 32 as there has been no performance difference, whether on asphalt or concrete. I thought about going on the high side for day 2 just to experiment again, but it was just another bother I didn't want. On street tires, I always run higher rear for better response, but not necessary for r-comps. I'll likely contact Niles soon about getting a 27mm bar made and see if I can get some testing before the end of the season.

And I find the "Kumhos are as fast as Hoosiers, but just harder to drive" statement from almost everyone I've spoken to about the subject, a bit amusing at this point. I'm like "Gotcha, that's why almost EVERYBODY at Nationals is on Hoosiers". I felt sorry for the poor Kumho semi truck with absolutely no attention, lol. But hey, the fastest Cobolt driver has had both on his car, and he was one of the few on Kumhos, finished 4th.

I found these:

Looking ahead:http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/imag...s/img_5623.jpg

Blowing a corner: http://www.gotcone.com/pgallery/imag...s/img_5624.jpg
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 09-10-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    why did I think you had a sedan?????????

anywho got some hardware

"Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Nice job, congrats!

btw, I have learned lots from this thread and am making plans based on that info for when my 2011 arrives, thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ ah- your in Billings, you'll have to get the 11 out next year to some autox's

I will definitely be there. That is a major reason I bought this car. My friend had a Outback XT that I rode in during one summer that he did several Billings and Bozeman events. I got hooked on AX in general and Suby's from those rides.

I finally saved up enough money and Suby reeled me in with this years changes to the WRX, so I made the plunge. Now I can join in on the fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    good deal- if you liked the XT, the 11 WRX will be an even bigger treat

Congrats on the new hardware!
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ danke

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post

I'm surprised WL hasn't offered a bigger front bar- probably won't do much good, but I think I'll send them an email to that effect- a 27mm adj front bar would be nice
    they returned my email, but have no plans to offer a bar at this time- if anyone is interested in a bigger probably wouldn't hurt to send them an email- of course Niles can make a custom bar of just about any size

anywho got some hardware
    Congratulations!

why did I think you had a sedan?????????

anywho got some hardware
    Nice job Mike!
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ thanks gents

Wayne- if you get a 27mm bar made, please post up your impressions- also if there are any issues w/ the brackets and what your doing to "fix" it

also let me pose a question- if you had to choose between a 24mm and a 29mm bar (no in between )- which would you chose? I realize that you also made some rather large alignment changes at the same time, so it could cloud the differences

thanks

Mike

^^ thanks gents

Wayne- if you get a 27mm bar made, please post up your impressions- also if there are any issues w/ the brackets and what your doing to "fix" it

also let me pose a question- if you had to choose between a 24mm and a 29mm bar (no in between )- which would you chose? I realize that you also made some rather large alignment changes at the same time, so it could cloud the differences

thanks

Mike
    I am waiting on a reply to my email a week ago to Niles, but haven't heard from him yet concerning a 27mm bar. As far as the bracket that is cut for the 29mm bar, it seems to be holding fine and hasn't bent yet as Niles had thought it may over time. I'm gonna cut one of the new brackets I have tomorrow and post up pics for ya, before and after. Between the 24mm and 29mm bar, I would run the 29mm with the caveat that you'll NEED at least 3/16" toe out at each rear wheel to make it a workable improvement. If you won't do that, the car will push and it'll be slower and not fun to drive.

Also, I drove two events with zero toe(1 concrete, 1 asphalt) with the same results on both surfaces, so at first there was no alignment change from the 24mm bar as you may have thought. I know on the one and only event I've run with the 24mm bar and r-comps, the tire edge was hitting the fender and getting lightly chewed up. With the rounded edge tires like the Hoosier, or a bit worn Kumho, that'll likely be avoided, but you're right there with the lean you get. You could set your rear toe out for the year at 1/16th out each side, make life easy and deal with the lean. If I don't get a 27mm bar soon, I may go back to the 24mm bar for some more testing and gain some more perspective.

Back to the 29mm bar; once you feel what the big bar can potentially do, you'll want to make it work, but I'm coming to the conclusion that at least I can't. With my aggressiveness, I get punished badly for my tendency to overdrive a corner here or there, so in the hands of a better/patient driver it might be perfect still. I have an event Sunday, which may be a bit cool/wet according to the forecast, and on 55 run tires(which I just had flipped due to the severe shoulder wear) I'll try to drive a bit smarter and have another data point.

For some more visuals and comparisons of the car with the bar, there is a sequence of pics for DS cars about a third of the way down on this page: http://picasaweb.google.com/atlantam...90710Gallery2#
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks- good explanation

those pics are very interesting- the poor BMW is lifting a front tire!

the Mini's for whatever reason seem to be relatively flat through that slalom- could be partially their line???????

thanks- good explanation

those pics are very interesting- the poor BMW is lifting a front tire!

the Mini's for whatever reason seem to be relatively flat through that slalom- could be partially their line???????
    Haha, yeah, the Beemer got a bit off line there. I don't know, I look at the pics and see the Mini(dark gray a few pics before was class winner) at about the same lean angle as me(red one before that looks flat), maybe a touch less. The Type-R has more lean, likely due to the 275's they're(some) running up front. Looking at the pics I think my line looks pretty good on that run, ready to put the back wheel on the last cone in each wallom....or so I imagine, lol.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 09-17-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    might be an optical illusion- shorter bumper??????

surprised that some of the type R's are running 275- would have never guessed