Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 59
+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Mike, what do you think the longest wheel stud would be that would not require the removal of the front ...

Mike, what do you think the longest wheel stud would be that would not require the removal of the front hub unit? Do you know how long the studs that came with the H&R kit were?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hey guys,

need some advice about my WRX right now i have been out of the season for about 4 months since i smoked the clutch on the car and i am just now at the point of getting it fixed.my real question is that i am looking at buying a bigger FSB i have an 09 WSP hatchback with the following on it:
    1: moton shocks
    2: 24mm FSB
    3: kosi rims
    4: hoosiers A6
    5: turn down exhaust

I am trying to delete as much as possible of the understeer that this car seems to have any help would be great.

sorry for the tread jack but this is the best tread to get information form WRX autocrossers

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    Mike, what do you think the longest wheel stud would be that would not require the removal of the front hub unit? Do you know how long the studs that came with the H&R kit were?
    i have a set of the ARPs and they were no problem geting on. and they are about 3in long

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ the ARP's are the longest studs that I'm aware of and will fit the front hub w/o any issue (the rear is where things can get real dicey)

to get bigger than 24mm I'm pretty sure you'll have to go custom

I had a 29mm solid bar built, it is now on tuskenraider's car- I never had a chance to run it

Niles Patel built it- he's on bimmerforums w/ his real name if your interested in one- might want to visit w/ tuskenraider first as I think he was going to have the sway mounts tweaked a little
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Looks like Tuskenraider did ok at nationals! 12th in his first nat championship in the GH and on r comps (he beat the Prosolo DS champion ). Seemed to struggle to get a clean run yesterday but today was a great showing!

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ wow- good deal, some REALLY stiff competition in D Stock

I can't find the final results- do you have a link by chance?

Anyone know how big a tire the Cobalt SS folks are running?

I know the ITR folks are getting 265-285s on 6" wheels....absurd, but being so underpowered they need it (and it works obviously ).

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but it's pretty hilarious if you know some of the inside jokes:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Autocross

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ thanks that is a great finish!- those are some close times, not a lot of separation from top to bottom

not sure what the Cobalts are running for tire size, the 08+'s use a 18x7.5" wheel, the earlier ones 17x7

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon
    Looks like Tuskenraider did ok at nationals! 12th in his first nat championship in the GH and on r comps (he beat the Prosolo DS champion ). Seemed to struggle to get a clean run yesterday but today was a great showing!
    Well thanks for the mention. I can say I left in a better mood Wednesday, than the way I was feeling after Tuesday. Everyone has reasons they didn't place higher(The ex-DS champ not getting a clean run Wed., but certainly could have done a "safe" run and still been fast I'm sure.), but I made a big goof on my third run at the finish and gave up a bunch of time(1 sec maybe). I came around the final sweeper and was a little hard on the gas and pushing towards the last outside gate cone and had to back off a little to swerve back inside it. I was so relieved to have "finished" clean, I hit the brakes hard to slow down, only to realize 30 ft. later I coasted across the real finish line............ I guess it was the yellow finish cones vs. the orange gate cone I just past and of course failure to really look ahead, etc. I wasn't very sociable back in grid or the next couple of hours after that. I slept like **** running that scenario over and over in my head, but knew I could certainly do better the next day, and, hey, I did and left a bit happier. It was a hard learning experience............

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    Anyone know how big a tire the Cobalt SS folks are running?
    I believe the top car was on 245/?/18's, but not sure of the other(s).

I gotta get to bed for now.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 09-09-2010 at 10:20 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it was great showing- like I said top to bottom, pretty darn close

it shows me the WRX can definitely be competitive (as obviously can the Mini S, Type R, 3 series and Cobalt) in D Stock

[/QUOTE]
    I believe the top car was on 245/?/18's, but not sure of the other(s).

I gotta get to bed for now.[/QUOTE]

you are right no the ball with this i know David in the cobalt is running a 245/35/18 if i am correct.

tuskenraider,
    how did the car handle up there and what were saying about the 29 FSB would you keep it or go bigger or smaller. any ideas on trying to get the under-steer out of the car some more.

and i heard that my last co-driver came up and talked to you about the car. he is a really good driver and knows some stuff but he was helping me out with setups on the WRX

tuskenraider,
    how did the car handle up there and what were saying about the 29 FSB would you keep it or go bigger or smaller. any ideas on trying to get the under-steer out of the car some more.

and i heard that my last co-driver came up and talked to you about the car. he is a really good driver and knows some stuff but he was helping me out with setups on the WRX
    Yes, I spoke to David the day before running, but didn't after. If you talk to him, tell him nice driving. As far as how the car behaved, it was understeering consistantly on the high speed, sweeper intensive East(Wednesday) course. I couldn't put down the power as much as I hoped and hold the line compared to other people who desribed how they drove it and seeing their cars on video the day before, and on course while working. Tuesday's(West) course, the car wasn't that bad with lots of slaloms and offsets. The car didn't feel "punished" through any element, but that type of course is not the car's strength. Anyway, more toe is not the answer to the understeer, as I'm at about the limit there without causing other problems IMO, and I really don't have any tuning options left(I'm not touching front toe, it's staying at 0). I think a 27mm bar would be better for the car and my driving style at this point. Whether better shocks with more adjustability could help with rotation(your motons), I'm not sure, but I'm not buying $3k+ shocks to find out. Whether Hoosiers would change things, I'm not sure either, but if I decide to continue to next year on r-comps, I will try them. This year, I have 6 local events left to figure more things out. Interested in a co-driver for the last tour event? j/k
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I guess running a stock (or close to) offset wheel in the rear (I think Mike said with 245s he needs a very small amount of spacer with his +55 wheels) to reduce the track *may* mitigate some of the understeer.....by how much I'm unsure.

What tire pressures were you running?

When I first started autocrossing, I always thought having the rear tires way higher than the front would help get some rotation and it never really worked....since then, I've done what the GD chassis folks do and actually run much higher in the front than the back and I've actually noticed the car is more balanced from a rotation standpoint. Why that is? I have no idea .

I Support ClubWRX
    as close as times were, a tire change could make all the difference

I know Kuhmo is a good tire, but there are sure a lot of folks that think A6's are better

I've also had better luck w/ higher front pressures vs rear (sometimes approaching front pressures though)

I'm surprised WL hasn't offered a bigger front bar- probably won't do much good, but I think I'll send them an email to that effect- a 27mm adj front bar would be nice

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.