Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 58
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 848495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AgentH A 295/40/17 is slightly larger in diameter, but close. But then you're running a minimum of ...

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    A 295/40/17 is slightly larger in diameter, but close.
    But then you're running a minimum of 10 inches of wheel.
    The limiting factor isn't the wheel, it's the strut and fenders. I know for a fact that a 275 will squeeze onto a 6" rim.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    stock class folks will definitely push the envelope on squeezing wide rubber on less than wide rims- I'm running 245's on my 7" rims- I certainly wouldn't do that given a choice of rim widths, but the Hoosiers are very stiff side-walled and it works

it's not optimum, but getting more rubber to the ground is a proven method of reducing times

an 8" rim will handle 295's w/ no issues, not sure if there will be room though on the 11

no way I could squeeze 275's onto my 09- even w/ 245's I'm forced to use thin spacers to keep the tires off the suspension- in stock class your also limited on the offset of your wheels (including any changes caused by spacers) to just +/- 0.25", this further limits the width of tire that is workable
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

OK, that's good to know! I guess I never gave the tire manufacturer's specification a second guess.

I do know that by going with a very wide rim, you can essentially make a narrow tire wide. The STU guys, just like STX, are limited to a 245 section width tire and will jam it on the widest rim that'll fit.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ yeah that's a better scenario than what we do in Stock class

245 + 9" rim =

Quote Originally Posted by BSTON View Post
    The limiting factor isn't the wheel, it's the strut and fenders. I know for a fact that a 275 will squeeze onto a 6" rim.
    And if the '11 really has only a 53 offset as I've seen reported, 275's will be lucky not to hit the strut and with the .5" or so of extra height, there's the gearing hit.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ good points- if the offset stays high (typically has for Subaru) then inboard rubbing can easily become an issue (for folks in Stock class anyways)

I know a B stock 10 STI SE in our club is running 295s with only 1/4" spacer so I assumed the 11 WRX would be able to run 295s. Is the offset lower on the the Spec C 18s?

Wait, do you know what tire he's running? Bigsky's saying he can barely get 245's under his 09... I just find running that much tire to be unbelievable. But that's awesome!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess we won't know until someone test fits a set- I'm confident I (read my tire guy ) could fit 275's on my 7" rims, but no way I'd be able to run them on oe offset rims even w/ a 1/4" spacer on my 09

the ability to run 275's (or even better 285-295's) would be a big plus

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Wait, do you know what tire he's running? Bigsky's saying he can barely get 245's under his 09... I just find running that much tire to be unbelievable. But that's awesome!
    This same guy ran 315 hoosiers on a 8.5" wheel on his super stock C6 vette .

I think they tried to put 315s on the STI but got strut rub. So he's either running 295/30/18 A6 Hoosiers or 285/30/18 V710s.

I Support ClubWRX
    either way, that's a lot of rubber to the road!

I'm pretty sure 275's would be doable on a 08-10 if you could play w/ offset- Hoosiers run a little wide, but 245 is the max I could reliably use within the confines of Stock class

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    either way, that's a lot of rubber to the road!

I'm pretty sure 275's would be doable on a 08-10 if you could play w/ offset- Hoosiers run a little wide, but 245 is the max I could reliably use within the confines of Stock class
    I know you have the 02/03 BBS....they have a +55 offset right? If so you could run a 6.35mm spacer? Have you done that already (I'm sure this has been mentioned.....thread is long! ).
    Last edited by 09rexwagon; 08-31-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    I know you have the 02/03 BBS....they have a +55 offset right? If so you could run a 6.35mm spacer? Have you done that already (I'm sure this has been mentioned.....thread is long! ).
    that's correct. I'm running 3 mm spacers up front- was getting light rubbing on the struts previously, I made a set of 1.5 mm spacers for the rear (was also getting light rubbing inboard on the rear)

if you search the thread for spacer you can see my homemade ones, was pretty happy w/ the way they came out.

I can't say if it's helped performance any (I know it's not going to hurt it), but I no longer rub inboard front or rear
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 09-04-2010 at 08:14 AM.

I have no personal experience with it, but I know it's fairly popular to run a spacer up front on our cars to help deal with understeer. A wider front track is beneficial in that regard.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ yup- if your adding spacers I'd stick w/ just ones in the front (unless your experiencing rubbing in the rear)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.