Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 57
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 09rexwagon So, I might mess with my toe tomorrow before Sunday's event. When you guys are saying ...

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    So, I might mess with my toe tomorrow before Sunday's event. When you guys are saying 1/16" and 3/16" etc, are you talking about relative to the front and rear of the wheel or the front and rear of the tire? I guess talking in degrees can lead to less confusion.
    The front of the rear tire. I tape a straight edge to the tire at the centerline of the wheel. Tape a ruler to the front of the wheel well and adjust till the straight edge goes a little over an eighth out, which puts me somewhere where I like it. I think I've been a little conservative with it the last two events and I'll be sure to be more aggressive with it at Nationals.

I used this for toe conversion.....http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...e_settings.pdf
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 08-23-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
    Go for it Mike.
    as much as I'd like to, I don't think the "boss" would go for it

Wayne- best of luck at Nationals! Too bad the WRX is so under subscribed. Those Type R's are tough competition (as are the Mini's), Pat Smith lists Montana as his region (but actually resides north of the border) and has made it to a few our events in the past- have to hand it to the guy- he's definitely quick.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Wayne- best of luck at Nationals! Too bad the WRX is so under subscribed. Those Type R's are tough competition (as are the Mini's), Pat Smith lists Montana as his region (but actually resides north of the border) and has made it to a few our events in the past- have to hand it to the guy- he's definitely quick.
    Thanks! Well I guess under subscribed for a reason as I'm finding out, and others already have. After a great event with the toe out for the first time and a ton of confidence, I proceeded to get destroyed at the Cendiv event the next week, 1.6 sec each day, by John Ma in his Mini S. He's most certainly a top 3 national DS driver and I'm not there, but I was hoping to still do better than the 1.2 sec I was off him at the second day of the Peru Tour event with a better driving car now. To note though, I found the toe had slipped back after the first day, likely during my wife's first runs in STUL, causing the car to push badly again. Finding that and correcting it for Sunday made the car drive better, but not faster. I coned all four runs Sunday anyway, all with the ass end in the slaloms, so I didn't even have a clean time to fairly compare.

Embarrassed to say, but I went to the Subaru Challenge in Lafayette, IN last Saturday. Rain came pouring down while in grid line, and found out r-comps and huge puddles obviously didn't mix.....DNF. Switched to streets real quick, two more DNF's, and left after lunch due to long delays and other plans I had, though it was nice and dry by then.

I must say the whole r-comp experience has taken a lot fun out of my year so far. I just can't get consistent behavior out of the car for consecutive events. I've already put forth money and effort so far and I'm going to Nationals with no less confidence, but have no idea which car and driver will show up. We'll see what happens.

Yes, I will still get swaybar pics when I get back under that part of the car. I'll likely cut a new bracket, a bit longer, before going to Nationals.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 08-23-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    I have to agree that R compounds, while clearly providing better grip- are tougher for me to drive as well. I think it's a combination of lack of feedback and a lacking trust in the grip- our courses are not too far off from running a road course and a mistake can turn pretty ugly (we had a rather bad off w/ a 09 STi this last event)- with very little feedback I think I'm pulling back when I probably shouldn't be (but then again I haven't suffered an off either ).

I also miss (greatly) driving to an event w/o having to swap tires/wheels (and not hauling a ton more stuff).

While I'm sure to get my a$$ handed to me in STU, I'm seriously considering going that route next year.

I also miss (greatly) driving to an event w/o having to swap tires/wheels (and not hauling a ton more stuff).
    Totally. And screwing around with the toe, trying to get enough leverage on both breaker bars to keep the cam bolt from turning and tightening the nut to prevent slippage, jacked up or on stands, is very difficult with the limited room. Gotta bring a change of clothes depending on the temp just for that battle alone. I wish the car didn't need so much to rotate so I could just set it for the season and forget it. Lots of toe is definitely needed on race tires and big FSB, and would help on streets too of course. But if I go back to street tires, it wouldn't need as much anyway as I'd run the smaller FSB as well.

Just ordered a little 3" turndown from AMS. Only thing I could find for the 3", 2-bolt flange mid-pipe of the SPT catback. Designed for an EVO, but should fit. $90 after taxes and shipping.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    I have grown very fond of my Borla delete, even the "boss" says she's starting to get to used to it (although not enough to keep it on beyond autox season )

I know it isn't adding any power (well maybe a little), but it sure sounds like it

I Support ClubWRX
    just found a video posted of our last event (8/21-22)- this was the course from day 2 (video from a ST focus)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKcm5rie90

While I'm sure to get my a$$ handed to me in STU, I'm seriously considering going that route next year.
    I agree that you'd get your clock cleaned in STU, but actually, the "regular" WRX gets to run in STX. It's the STi that runs in STU. I've been running in STX all year and I think the WRX could be successful nationally if prepped and driven well. It's got a ton more power than most of the other cars that qualify, and with the allowed mods (chief among them camber plates), you can eliminate the handling traits that make the car understeer so much in stock prep. If you want to avoid R-comps, STX would be a good way to go locally, even if all you did was slap some Star Specs on.

See y'all at nationals! I'm driving a white '93 BMW 325i coupe in STX (#172) if you feel like saying hi.

I Support ClubWRX
    the "old" WRX's do get to run in STX, did so w/ my two previous WRX's , but all of the 06+ WRX's are relegated to STU due to the 2.5 liter engine

the WRX has proven itself very worthy in STX starting with the first year the class was conceived- for some reason numbers have waned recently

best of luck to you at Nationals!

Maybe if Jesus shed a few tears on our front and rear open differentials, the 09+ WRX would do ok in STU vs the STI/Evo .

Street Mod that bizzznitch!
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    Maybe if Jesus shed a few tears on our front and rear open differentials, the 09+ WRX would do ok in STU vs the STI/Evo .
    that's good

wondering out loud here on the 2011 for DS, 1" wider wheel and more space for tires- maybe 275's???

better camber up front, only a slight hit in the weight dept.

too bad update/backdate didn't pertain to stock class

SM is for mad scientists

the "old" WRX's do get to run in STX, did so w/ my two previous WRX's , but all of the 06+ WRX's are relegated to STU due to the 2.5 liter engine
    That blows. I never bothered to read the rules, just assumed all WRXs were eligible since I've been driving against them. Yeah, STU is not very friendly for a non-STI.

that's good

wondering out loud here on the 2011 for DS, 1" wider wheel and more space for tires- maybe 275's???

better camber up front, only a slight hit in the weight dept.

too bad update/backdate didn't pertain to stock class

SM is for mad scientists
    I think in the right hands the 09/10 WRX has a small chance against the ITR/MCS/Cobalt SS....but the 11+ WRX has more than a small chance...there will be people with 285 or 295s on a 11+ I'm sure .

1.5" of additional track is not chumps change either....less roll per unit lateral G (assuming spring rates and ARB rates stay the same).

285/35/17 will give you about the same diameter (nifty calculator), but tirerack doesn't sell anything.

A 295/40/17 is slightly larger in diameter, but close.
    But then you're running a minimum of 10 inches of wheel. You won't be Stock class legal. Unless I'm missing out on some racing secretes.

1.5" of additional track is not chumps change either....less roll per unit lateral G (assuming spring rates and ARB rates stay the same).
    Or less spring rate and a more compliant ride... not that anyone here would want that. Win win!

SM is for mad scientists
    I'm not a mad scientist! Wish I was though...
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.