Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 56
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by AgentH Oh. Would you guys say that 24mm is perfect for daily driven duties? I noticed with ...

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    Oh. Would you guys say that 24mm is perfect for daily driven duties? I noticed with my 29mm front bar (GD mind you), things got noticibly harsher over most surfaces. But with a mild spring rate, it's not too bad.

Do you plan on getting anything like this so it doesn't slide around? http://www.poltec.us/misc.htm
    I have a 25mm perrin on full stiff. No harshness on daily driving, but not enough bar for autox unfortunately (even on street tires: RS3s) .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    24mm is plenty for daily driving IMO

the WL bars come w/ collars of their own (if they didn't I'd install something like the Poltec pieces)
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    I have a 25mm perrin on full stiff. No harshness on daily driving, but not enough bar for autox unfortunately (even on street tires: RS3s) .
    That really surprises me considering the increased spring rate of the 09. Do you not get the bite up front or are you lifting a rear wheel or something? Or is there just too much body roll?

By the way, how do you like the RS3's? Bigsky, use any street tires at any autox events this summer? My XS's are on their way out and I'm curious what you guys are running.
    Last edited by AgentH; 07-30-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    That really surprises me considering the increased spring rate of the 09. Do you not get the bite up front or are you lifting a rear wheel or something? Or is there just too much body roll?

By the way, how do you like the RS3's? Bigsky, use any street tires at any autox events this summer? My XS's are on their way out and I'm curious what you guys are running.
    No, I'm able to pull enough G's that I'm still rolling onto the edge of the tire (ie compressing enough that I'm getting into positive camber. Plus a big bar makes the car handle much better in fast transitions/slaloms even if you give up a bit in sweeper exit (where you plow if you get on the throttle too much, too early).

Sorry, I mistyped, I have RS2s...which are not great...very sloppy sidewalls. I've heard a lot of good things about the RS3s though....much much stiffer sidewalls....better cool performance (the RS2s love to be really hot). Haven't heard about wet performance though. They may be my next tire as many thing they are going to give the Star Specs a run for the money.

I think you will be much more satisfied with Star Specs or RS3s or RE11s than your Kuhmo XS if you are autocrossing. A WRX driver in our club has XS and he basically wastes his first run every time and does some modest drifting to get the temps up....XS do not perform well at all unless they are smoking hot .

I Support ClubWRX
    I've only run Hoosiers, I still have the oe tires for summer use- my plan was to run them for wet events, thus far haven't had a chance to run them in the last two years

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    24mm is plenty for daily driving IMO

the WL bars come w/ collars of their own (if they didn't I'd install something like the Poltec pieces)
    I agree at this point, but I haven't raced on the 29mm with street tires, but it definately increased harshness as anything from either side will transmit to the other. My wife will be on the streets tomorrow, but I can't be in the car for a divisional to see how it handles.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I was a bit too cheap for the borla muffler delete, so I had this made for $70 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9D_Uv0z2tk

I was a bit too cheap for the borla muffler delete, so I had this made for $70 :

Much better! Where'd you get the piping and coupler? I've been thinking about getting a pipe together like that for my '05...
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

I Support ClubWRX

nice work sounds very similar to the Borla delete- if I drive "easy" it's not overly loud- when I get on it- it'd get your attention

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Yes, he said to try a washer for the mounting bolt concerns but that won't work since the bracket curves even where the small bolt head is at. He also said he would send me another bracket so I could cut it a little less than his, but I haven't heard back from him in 2+ weeks so I just ordered my own. They came yesterday so I'll get around to cutting one so there's more bracket for the bolt to seat to. Mounting still looks solid though, so that's good.

I think it would from talking to others. I'm just figuring this all out myself so I'm no expert. I'd take it to the shop, have them make a mark on the control arm and bolt at the stock position, then when they toe it out, make another mark so you could adjust it back when you choose. I just put mine back to the 1/32" after the event and believe it'll be fine for the street.
    So, I might mess with my toe tomorrow before Sunday's event. When you guys are saying 1/16" and 3/16" etc, are you talking about relative to the front and rear of the wheel or the front and rear of the tire? I guess talking in degrees can lead to less confusion.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm pretty sure the alignment rack I go to uses the tire

converting to degrees is a nice exercise, one that always confuses me though

the FSM says +/- 3mm (0.12"), in degrees they show +/- 007'30"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I'm pretty sure the alignment rack I go to uses the tire

converting to degrees is a nice exercise, one that always confuses me though

the FSM says +/- 3mm (0.12"), in degrees they show +/- 007'30"
    if the differentials front to back are relative to the front and rear of the tire then you do arcsin( delta/tire_diameter) or if the delta is relative to the wheel's edge arcsine(delta/wheel_edge_diameter).

On the stock wheels the edge is at a diameter of about 18.25".

Fred Puhn's book "How to make your car handle" has a nifty chart for converting toe for those that don't want to deal with arcsin.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
    Fred Puhn's book "How to make your car handle" has a nifty chart for converting toe for those that don't want to deal with arcsin.
    thanks for pointing that out- I missed that previously (page 79 in my book)- has the tire diameter/toe in inches/toe angle in degrees

I'm sure you probably saw this, but if not

http://nhahillclimb.org/MTannouncement.html

Go for it Mike.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.