Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 55
Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 09rexwagon You know, maybe I'm not a fluid nazi. I just checked my coolant overflow reservoir. The ...

Quote Originally Posted by 09rexwagon View Post
    You know, maybe I'm not a fluid nazi. I just checked my coolant overflow reservoir. The engine is dead cold and it was a bit below LOW. I really have never noted the level since I bought the car (7500 miles on it). What is your coolant level when the car has been off for 8+ hours?

How can coolant be 'consumed' other than via a leaking HG or a leak (which I don't see anywhere). I haven't noticed white smoke from the tailpipe or oil in the coolant.
    Just doing my bimonthly scan through of this thread, and thought I'd note that my coolant level was the same way, in February. (Canadian February too.) I'd add a little and it'd go back that way in a few days.

Now in June it's all good, little above halfway between the lines. *shrugs*

Sorry to hear about the mishap Big Sky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    another great two day event in Helena- big, fast course- lots of runs- life is good

the only non-fun part- swapping tires/wheels

"Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Looks like you could use a little more front bar Mike.......
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Looks like you could use a little more front bar Mike.......
    Yep, are you running that 29mm? Might need 31/32 on R comps.

What are you running Wayne?

Yep, are you running that 29mm? Might need 31/32 on R comps.

What are you running Wayne?
    I'm running what was Mike's 29mm bar he sold to me so he's still on the 24mm WL. I had it next day shipped so I could foolishly put it on the day I headed out to the Peru National Tour and preceded to suck. First, with r-comps, the car needs need it. Second, with a setup aimed at daily driving(0 toe), the car will plow all day long with it and make the car extremely not fun to drive. After being very discouraged with my r-comp performance so far, I said screw it, and took the car to the alignment shop the day before last Sunday's event to toe the rears out for one last try with the bar. I wanted 3/16" on each side and after checking degree values from the alignment sheet online, I found out I barely had 1/32". Typical shop moron. So I said f it and put the car in the air and toed it out another 1/8" on each side at the event site. After letting the car down, who knows what I really had, lol. All of a sudden I had a car that actually rotated! Like to where I almost looped it multiple times in the starting slalom in the morning, but also had some puddles from the rain the night before. As I got used to it, I was laying down some great times and when it got fully dry, the car was a dream. I ended up finishing 3rd overall on PAX for the event out of 145, from 22nd the previous event(which was my first event on the r''s and with the 24mm FSB). I'm usually around 30th leading in the street tire class. I'm really looking forward to the Milwaukee Divisional this weekend and see if I can keep the pace again. I'll have a top DS driver(John Ma in a Mini S) to compare against to see how much ground I've gained(I hope) against him from the Peru tour. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 07-29-2010 at 03:45 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I'm running what was Mike's 29mm bar he sold to me so he's still on the 24mm WL. I had it next day shipped so I could foolishly put it on the day I headed out to the Peru National Tour and preceded to suck. First, with r-comps, the car needs need it. Second, with a setup aimed at daily driving(0 toe), the car will plow all day long with it and make the car extremely not fun to drive. After being very discouraged with my r-comp performance so far, I said screw it, and took the car to the alignment shop the day before last Sunday's event to toe the rears out for one last try with the bar. I wanted 3/16" on each side and after checking degree values from the alignment sheet online, I found out I barely had 1/32". Typical shop moron. So I said f it and put the car in the air and toed it out another 1/8" on each side at the event site. After letting the car down, who knows what I really had, lol. All of a sudden I had a car that actually rotated! Like to where I almost looped it multiple times in the starting slalom in the morning, but also had some puddles from the rain the night before. As I got used to it, I was laying down some great times and when it got fully dry, the car was a dream. I ended up finishing 3rd overall on PAX for the event out of 145, from 22nd the previous event(which was my first event on the r''s and with the 24mm FSB). I'm usually around 30th leading in the street tire class. I'm really looking forward to the Milwaukee Divisional this weekend and see if I can keep the pace again. I'll have a top DS driver(John Ma in a Mini S) to compare against to see how much ground I've gained(I hope) against him from the Peru tour. Wish me luck.
    Good to know, I run in street tire, and even with that said, I feel like I need more front bar than my 25mm. I haven't toed out the rear, but I have about 1/32" each side up front. Might have to go a bit out in the rear too after reading this .

You think 1/16" each side (1/8 total) toe out in the rear would kill tires for daily driving....keeping in mind that every autox is probably 1000x harder on the tires than the daily driving was the ~30 days between events?
    Last edited by 09rexwagon; 07-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    As I got used to it, I was laying down some great times and when it got fully dry, the car was a dream. I ended up finishing 3rd overall on PAX for the event out of 145, from 22nd the previous event(which was my first event on the r''s and with the 24mm FSB). . Wish me luck.
    holy buckets! congrats

best of luck to you!

yes I need more front bar- did you ever get ahold of Niles?

^I think 1/16"/side would probably be OK- you'd want to keep a vigilant eye out on tread wear and rotate often

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    holy buckets! congrats

best of luck to you!

^I think 1/16"/side would probably be OK- you'd want to keep a vigilant eye out on tread wear and rotate often
    I guess the better question would be 'is 1/16" per side rear toe out going to be noticeable from a rotation standpoint?'

I Support ClubWRX
    yes (but not as much as Wayne's 3/16" )

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Yes, he said to try a washer for the mounting bolt concerns but that won't work since the bracket curves even where the small bolt head is at. He also said he would send me another bracket so I could cut it a little less than his, but I haven't heard back from him in 2+ weeks so I just ordered my own. They came yesterday so I'll get around to cutting one so there's more bracket for the bolt to seat to. Mounting still looks solid though, so that's good.

I guess the better question would be 'is 1/16" per side rear toe out going to be noticeable from a rotation standpoint?'
    I think it would from talking to others. I'm just figuring this all out myself so I'm no expert. I'd take it to the shop, have them make a mark on the control arm and bolt at the stock position, then when they toe it out, make another mark so you could adjust it back when you choose. I just put mine back to the 1/32" after the event and believe it'll be fine for the street.
    Last edited by tuskenraider; 07-29-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, he said to try a washer for the mounting bolt concerns but that won't work since the bracket curves even where the small bolt head is at. He also said he would send me another bracket so I could cut it a little less than his, but I haven't heard back from him in 2+ weeks so I just ordered my own. They came yesterday so I'll get around to cutting one so there's more bracket for the bolt to seat to. Mounting still looks solid though, so that's good.
    when you put the new mounts on- snap a pic or two if you can- where did you order the mounts from? have you tried the zerk feature yet?

when you put the new mounts on- snap a pic or two if you can- where did you order the mounts from? have you tried the zerk feature yet?
    Sure thing. Sorry about not taking pics as I mentioned before, just keep forgetting. Summit Racing carries the bushing mounts, they're just the universal bushings by Energy, 28.5mm, $16. I haven't greased them yet as I don't have a grease gun, gotta get one. The wife just told me today she's hearing some squeaking up front, so it looks like it's time.
    '11 WRX Hatch
    Lightning Red

Summit Racing carries the bushing mounts, they're just the universal bushings by Energy, 28.5mm, $16. I haven't greased them yet as I don't have a grease gun, gotta get one. The wife just told me today she's hearing some squeaking up front, so it looks like it's time.
    What's this about? I must have missed something
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentH View Post
    What's this about? I must have missed something
    these are generic sway bar mounts- needed as the bar is a custom 29mm piece. part of the mount has to be trimmed in order to fit

it uses a urethane bushing and is a little unique in that it has grease zerk so you don't have to take anything apart if gets noisy

these are generic sway bar mounts- needed as the bar is a custom 29mm piece. part of the mount has to be trimmed in order to fit

it uses a urethane bushing and is a little unique in that it has grease zerk so you don't have to take anything apart if gets noisy
    Oh. Would you guys say that 24mm is perfect for daily driven duties? I noticed with my 29mm front bar (GD mind you), things got noticibly harsher over most surfaces. But with a mild spring rate, it's not too bad.

Do you plan on getting anything like this so it doesn't slide around? http://www.poltec.us/misc.htm
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.