Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) - Page 52
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Project Hatch (aka project grocery getter part II) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX I'd have a groove cut at 10mm below the one that is already in ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I'd have a groove cut at 10mm below the one that is already in the shock, that gives you a very slightly raked ride height- most folks like to lower the front slightly more than the rear (the front having higher cut wheel wells)

if a guy happens to haul heavy stuff w/ his car, you could cut a second groove above the original to prevent sag

no sure how close they can cut the grooves (safely), but maybe two below and one above- that would give a guy several options
    Sweet. Thanks. Interesting that you run full soft for daily use. I guess the WRX is a bit lighter than the LGT, and if my research is correct the LGT uses springs of about 4kg/mm in front and 3.3kg/mm in back. If that's right then I guess it makes sense that the LGT would need a higher damping rate right from the bottom of the range, compared to the WRX fitment.

So you think to level the car I'd need the perch on a clip 15mm below the stock position eh? Good info, and it makes sense given the 15mm drop. I'd read 10mm somewhere but I'm guessing you have researched this as thoroughly as everything else. I just don't know if I am comfortable going that deep into the already-limited bump stroke, so I think I will go to 5 or 10mm below and see how that works. I just want to borrow the lathe once so I'll do grooves at 5mm spacing.
    I regularly carry about 20kg in the cargo hold and sometimes 50kg, so I would like to avoid the saggy butt syndrome.

I wasn't looking to lower the front more for an even fender gap, but I read that the STi has a slight rake and guessed there must be a reason for that other than looks. I cannot get the '09 WRX springs here as none were imported and none have come up for sale used in Japan yet either. The STi springs were all I could get, except for Tanabe or RS-R fashion springs.

Could I get your overall opinion of this set-up, the LGT Konis plus STi springs with a 10mm drop in back to match the drop in front? Is that too low for the available bump travel? I could pack the front springs about 5mm with some rubber gaskets top and bottom if needed.

Do you think the rear springs could be compressed on the vehicle and the circlip moved without unbolting the shock? That would really speed things up and save me an alignment. That perch looks pretty deep though so I guess you'd have to compress the spring to coil-bind before it would uncover the circlip. You probably tried that already...
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think the STi springs w/ the LGT Koni's w/ a 10mm drop via the circlip would be a pretty good setup

not sure you'll be able to space them at 5mm intervals- you might- you could visit w/ Koni and see what they think- basically boils down to how much metal you need between each groove (I know 10mm is sufficient as that is what they did for me)

if you can space them every 5mm- I'd go a couple above and 3-4 below- that gives you all kinds of options

it's possible that there is a way to move the clip w/o removing the shock, but I haven't figured it out yet- I got creative w/ a floor jack to no avail- so out the shock/spring came- would be neat if there was a way- got a heavy load, crank it up a notch (or two), light load- ratchet it down

I should also mention that RCE is coming out w/ a Bilstein damper within the next month- it won't be adjustable and I have no way to even remotely compare it w/ the Koni, but it will be plug and play (unlike the LGT setup) and knowing RCE (and Bilstein) should be a quality damper
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I think the STi springs w/ the LGT Koni's w/ a 10mm drop via the circlip would be a pretty good setup
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear. I am going to be running this with a 22mm rear bar, the stock front bar, KB endlinks all round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    not sure you'll be able to space them at 5mm intervals- you might- you could visit w/ Koni and see what they think- basically boils down to how much metal you need between each groove (I know 10mm is sufficient as that is what they did for me)

if you can space them every 5mm- I'd go a couple above and 3-4 below- that gives you all kinds of options
    Well, the other idea I have is to cut grooves at 10mm and 20mm below then machine up some 5mm spacers, like bicycle headset spacers, for fine-tuning.
    it's possible that there is a way to move the clip w/o removing the shock, but I haven't figured it out yet- I got creative w/ a floor jack to no avail- so out the shock/spring came- would be neat if there was a way- got a heavy load, crank it up a notch (or two), light load- ratchet it down
    Yeah, I figured you would have tried...
    I should also mention that RCE is coming out w/ a Bilstein damper within the next month- it won't be adjustable and I have no way to even remotely compare it w/ the Koni, but it will be plug and play (unlike the LGT setup) and knowing RCE (and Bilstein) should be a quality damper
    Yes, I am aware of this, thanks. I just got tired of waiting and wallowing.

Your work pushing Koni paid off in the end. There are now two new part numbers for an insert and rear shock for the GH body Impreza. These are supposed to be plug and play in the rear. Holland has them right now, as do some other distributors in the EU. Shox.com can order them direct from Holland and get them in 6 to 8 weeks for $599 the set. My local distributor has them in stock but expects to get $1,000 for the same items.

It took a while but finally some fixed-perch options are coming down the pipe. My guess is that economic uncertainty just coincided with the new platform launch and a lot of vendors were thinking no-one would be buying this car, let alone modding it, and didn't dare invest. Thankfully there's a bit more confidence out there now.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ wow- that's big news didn't know that finally came about

if I had a nickel for every email and phone call I made to Koni about getting this done- I'd have a few dollars

could you get the part #'s by chance?

thanks

^ wow- that's big news didn't know that finally came about

if I had a nickel for every email and phone call I made to Koni about getting this done- I'd have a few dollars

could you get the part #'s by chance?

thanks
    Yeah well it seems Holland went ahead and did this without bothering to let Lee in on it, so don't blame him for not following up with you. I only figured it out when I was snooping around on the global products finder and stumbled across the new part numbers. Apparently these aren't even in the US dealer's ordering system yet. But whatever, it's out there now and it should be available in the US soon.
    I made a thread about it over in suspension & brakes, but the numbers are 8610-1453Sport and 8010-1055Sport.

I Support ClubWRX
    noice, Koni should be getting the word out a little better (maybe they want to wait till they get them in hand )

thats a nice wrx yo. that white is fancy. I have an 08... soft suspension, yes. But it's a change to what I am used to, therefore i looovve it. so smooth. haha. but i am not autoX yet, i had a bmw, thats what that was for. niiice
    2008 BLUE WRX 5 door.
    FOR SALE 2008 WRX BLUE AWESOME never raced, highway miles

Hey - I haven't been able to read the entire thread but I have enjoyed it thus far.

One question - and this is for anyone w/ a pearl white WRX. Sometimes when I'm washing her, I can see a subtle difference in paint color between different body panels. For example, the rear panel that starts right near the rear tire stands out to me the most. I'm going to try and take a picture sometime soon and post it up...I just haven't had time recently. It just looks like dirtier white than everywhere else on the car. Has anyone seen this before?
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't noticed that, I'll pay closer attention the next washing it gets

I know that pearlized paint in general can appear different in different light- not sure if that's going on in your case or not, but it's something I've noticed on mine (and other pearlized paints)

I haven't noticed that, I'll pay closer attention the next washing it gets

I know that pearlized paint in general can appear different in different light- not sure if that's going on in your case or not, but it's something I've noticed on mine (and other pearlized paints)
    Mine has a slightly different hue between the metal body panels and the plastic bumpers, mirror covers etc. I believe they use a different, more flexible, paint base on the plastics to avoid it cracking as the parts flex slightly and that makes it difficult or impossible to match the color exactly.

But, SWP is beautiful, isn't it?

I Support ClubWRX
    when I first heard they would no longer offer Aspen White I was very perturbed (previous two WRX's were Aspen White). when my wife saw the car she was ecstatic!

I never got any compliments on the paint on my AW cars, this car I almost always get a couple of compliments on the paint at atuox's- I've now come to like the pearlized white

Quote Originally Posted by fahr_side View Post
    Mine has a slightly different hue between the metal body panels and the plastic bumpers, mirror covers etc. I believe they use a different, more flexible, paint base on the plastics to avoid it cracking as the parts flex slightly and that makes it difficult or impossible to match the color exactly.

But, SWP is beautiful, isn't it?
    I think this could be it. I really noticed it on the gas tank cover. The cover is metal but has plastic all around it.
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

I Support ClubWRX
    getting a little a pre-season work done

I was getting some minor rubbing up front w/ the Hoosiers, getting a little in the rear as well (not as much)

so I purchased some Forge 3mm spacers for the front, at $45 for a pair I didn't want to spring for two sets and I needed less in the rear- found some aluminum sheet that was 1.5mm- just about perfect, after several tedious hours w/ a dremel and drill press I came up w/ working alternative

oh and the winter tires/wheels are finally off!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I checked out my Hoosiers today and had some very minor cord showing in two of them- I probably could have gotten away w/ running them, but first event is a two day event and didn't want to chance it (especially considering it's a 800 mile trip! )

The other two weren't in spectacular shape, but they'll definitely get by for at least one event. Mounted two 'new" (new to me, used ones ) ones- I put the best tread to the outside and will use these up front.

Should be close to getting ready- I'm sure the nut behind the wheel will still need considerable work though!

here's a comparo of what's going on w/ the rear shock- first you can see the bushing is much wider on the oe shock'

I'm sorry if I missed the data somewhere in the thread, but do have the dimensions on the LGT rear bushing width? I couldn't press the OE bushings out without mangling them and will instead make spacers. I'd like to get it done before my Konis arrive next week, so I need to know how thick the spacers need to be.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.